Engine has high RPM's while at idle.

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

SuperDuperDaewoo
Junior

Engine has high RPM's while at idle.

Post by SuperDuperDaewoo »

I need help diagnosing a problem with my 2002 Daewoo Lanos HB with a manual transmission. When my car is in neutral the engine revs at what I assume at 2500+ RPMs. However, if I put the vehicle in gear and let up on the clutch about half way the engine drops back down to normal. So as of right now I am forced to either turn off my car when at a stop or do the "in gear-half clutch release" deal. Can anyone please give me some advice as to what this may be? Thank you.
If you don't have a Woo, You don't have a clue!
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

not certain...as my car is an automatic...but I had a similar problem...when in park or nuetral my rpms would rev up like you say and it turned out the wiring to my throttle position sensor was broken. I was told it was the sensor and replaced it...that didn't work so I took it to the dealer and they replaced part of the wiring that went to the sensor and the problem went away. (turns out the wires had gotten to close to the engine somehow and the plastic coating had melted off letting them short out)

hope this helps

jimmy
Zealotors

Post by Zealotors »

hey i had the exact same problem ..... mine went along with the engine check light being on .... it turned out that one of the connectors at the back of the engine (under the fuel injection coil) was out and so the computer didnt get any info so rev's were high and my two radiator fans kept spinning from start .... i took it to a mechanic who put it on a diagnostic machine and found the problem for me, i should say start by checking and making sure ALL plugs at the back are where they suppose to be in clean and no dirt inside. perhaps also check sensors to make sure they not dirted or clogged ....

let us know ..

Zealotor
PS
I got a 1999 Daewoo Lanos HB Manual Transmission