How To Make A Cheap/Awesome Grounding Kit!!!

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

m00ncrickit

How To Make A Cheap/Awesome Grounding Kit!!!

Post by m00ncrickit »

I'm doing something I think will not only look cool but be a very effective and cheap solution to upgrading the grounding cables. Any Auto Zone/Murray's/Advanced Auto Parts will sell standard battery cable so here's what I came up with. I loomed all of my power cables with red like so...

I wanted my ground cables loomed silver so it didn't matter to me what color the cables I bought really were. So I just picked up some "switch to starter" battery cables (I got the 19" ones, which are just long enough for this project) which already had terminal ring adaptors on both sides. I got them from AutoZone for like $5 each.

I have the raptor terminal adaptors on my battery now (which have a 1/0ga. - 4ga. - 8ga. - 8ga. connectivity) so I'm currently using (on the negative terminal) the 4ga. for the 2 OEM wires. One of the OEM ground wires goes down into the back (where I can't see) and the other one of the OEM wires goes to the chassis then there is a smaller connection going to the engine from there (these are the two wires I will be REPLACING).

You'll need to cut off the terminal ring on the wire you plan to install into the Raptor (or whatever brand) terminal (UNLESS you are going to keep the stock terminals or have terminals with wing nut clamps on them. In that case you'd just hook everything up).

Then strip the cut side of the wire about a 1/2" so it's just deep enough to fit in the terminal. I use an exacto knife to go around it in a circle then cut a slit from the surrounding cut to the tip, on each side, and just peel it away.

Then just loom both cables. Auto Zone carried metallic red, silver, blue and black so you have some choices (hell you could always get a black one and paint it I think)

I'm gonna wait till the sun comes up to install them but I'll post some finished pictures after I get 'em in.
2001 Daewoo Lanos (Silver) - Automatic Transmission - 1.6L DOHC Engine
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

an even cheaper way to go is get 4 guage welding cable from a local welding suplier and use that. works GREAT!

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

cool idea.
m00ncrickit

Post by m00ncrickit »

Arright, got everything in...

I took out the battery to make life easier... since the terminal rings were a bit bigger I needed to get a longer bolt for the body connection (Ace Hardware). I started by connecting the body connection...

I had to twist the 4ga. "body to engine" wire to get it in, and there is another ground under the stock one I removed, it was a BIATCH to get this in... but by bending the battery cable to hold the bolt into my ratchet and with some good aim and a bit of luck it grabbed the thread.

Here's the finished look...
2001 Daewoo Lanos (Silver) - Automatic Transmission - 1.6L DOHC Engine