Hacking my stock DAE stereo to add line in... ('05 Optra5)

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

chuma

Hacking my stock DAE stereo to add line in... ('05 Optra5)

Post by chuma »

Hey folks... I've got an '05 Optra5 (Lacetti) with the stock CD+MP3 player - DAE model AGC-3106WM. Been reading these forums on and off since I got the car last year (love the car, BTW) and I know there are lots of smart GMDAT knowing folks around here. So...

Having recently gotten an iPod I'd like to be able to hook it up to my car, of course. Trying to avoid those FM transmitter solutions for lots of reasons, including audio quality. Instead I want to add a line in to the stock stereo. I'd like to avoid getting a new head unit just for a line in.

Anyways, the engrish manual for the stereo doesn't have the connector pinouts, of course, but it does mention that it supports controlling a 6CD changer option (which I didn't purchase, oh well). Which tells me that it must (I hope) have an unused stereo line in as well as a pin or two for controlling the changer.

And from reading the maintenance manual online, it has a photo of the audio harness connector (bottom center of image)

Assuming (bad!) that this is the connector, reading the wiring diagram there are two unused pins. Could be the line in...

Has anyone else around here poked around behind their stereo? Am I crazy, should I just get a new head unit? Anyone have any more information about the Daewoo stereos?
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

you need something like this but for gm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-to-iPod-Aux ... dZViewItem
No1_spaceman

Post by No1_spaceman »

Hi,
Quick question, what make is your factory Stereo? If you told us that, we should be able to help you.

All the best,
Spaceman.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

No1_spaceman wrote:Hi,
Quick question, what make is your factory Stereo? If you told us that, we should be able to help you.

All the best,
Spaceman.
chuma wrote:the stock CD+MP3 player - DAE model AGC-3106WM.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
chuma

Post by chuma »

Yes, exactly - it's made by Daewoo Auto Electronics. Model AGC-3106WM. My dealer didn't even give me a manual for it but I downloaded one from dae-service.com last year. Unfortunately the site is totally redesigned now and their engrish manuals aren't up - only Korean. The Korean manual is 35 pages vs 15 for the english. I wish I could read it because it seems to explain the rules for making MP3 discs :?

Followup, I was browsing over on suzuki-forums and noticed that someone said when they pulled the stock stereo out of their Reno (aka Optra5 aka Lacetti) it had a nice wiring diagram printed on the top. Gonna try and pull it out in the next day or so and see what's on there, maybe take a photo for posterity :)

Thanks for the link to the wiring harness Slammed - my buddy installed same kind of thing but on his Accord's factory stereo. The only problem is that no one seems to make one of these little wonders for the 'woo stereos. I could rig something up if I had the CD changer, so that it would say "I'm a CD changer! I'm a CD changer" to the stereo while I reroute the analog audio line to a 1/8" headphone plug.

All I can find around the 'net are standard wiring harnesses and DIN kits.
2005 Chevrolet Optra5