Aussie 'Woo owners - timing belt survey

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

headly

Aussie 'Woo owners - timing belt survey

Post by headly »

'Woo Warriors,

I was just wondering who everyone has used to get their timing belts done (holden/other mech/self) and experiences, good or bad, brand of belt used (if known), and any other useful bits of info (costs etc).

Also, do you guys think its worth starting a sticky on spare parts suppliers, especially the online ones? ............just a thought
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

1- My mechanic who happens to be a senior Daewoo dealership mechanic.
2- good experiance as i didn't do any thing with my hands and the mechanic knows exactly what he is doing.
3- OEM belt: Gates, replacment belt: DAYCO... will swith back to Gates at the next change.
4- cost 120 LE (24 USD) covering the replacment of timing belt, Alternaor belt, A/C belt, front brakes pads.

i didn't get the tensioner or the water pump replaced as i replace my timing belt a bit too soon - @ 40,000 Kms - so i replace the tensioner every two timing belts.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

wow mmamdouh, I need to send you some moeny and have you ship me like 5 timing belts....:lol:
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Seriously... He was talking about full window tinting for $20 USD... Everything seems like its ultra-dirt cheap where he is.

The places I called about having the timing belt installed... (I provide the parts)... Just installed!! $210 was the cheapest I could find for a shop to do it. Others were as high as $280... More or less I've decided I'm doing it myself.
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

well man I paid 200 when my timing belt was replaced, my buddy and I did it, but got hung up due to not being able to find the 42mm wrench. and I didn't have any money at the time to replace the water pump, had to replace the water pump pep boys charged me 300 for that.
cpd
Super

Post by cpd »

...Timing belt?

I've had my car for around *thinks, 193 - 145...* 48 thousand k's now, and I haven't changed it (that I know of)? Maybe they changed it when I got my head gasket done.
Big Eye Pictures - Best art evar!
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

i had a BP do my timing belt and after 3 months on the new belt it snapped because of their negligence, then i had my local guy do that and the head and it was good, then holden replaced my water pump which envolved removing and putting back the timing belt and they did it wrong too, so i had my local guy to retension it because he knows my car inside and out
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
cpd
Super

Post by cpd »

Ohh, I've had a new water pump. So I'd say I've got a new one.
Big Eye Pictures - Best art evar!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

JohnnyC wrote:Seriously... He was talking about full window tinting for $20 USD... Everything seems like its ultra-dirt cheap where he is.

The places I called about having the timing belt installed... (I provide the parts)... Just installed!! $210 was the cheapest I could find for a shop to do it. Others were as high as $280... More or less I've decided I'm doing it myself.
you are quite right and quite wrong... indeed service is very cheap here but you gotta compare that to what you make per year, having done that i see that maintaning the car is a bit expensive.

also note the present value of the car itself... a standard issue '99 lanos will cost some 3000 USD?? in here it will be about twice as much so it is rather hard to own a car than to maintain it and thats why we don't give up on busted cars untill a fraid train runs it over or so.

adding to that the fact that labour is generally cheap here and we got lots and lots of Daewoo mechanics as Daewoos has flooded the market here - over 100,000 lanoses sold since mid 1998 - and we got an assembly factory in 6 October city as well so spare partsd are cheap as well and available every were.

in short if you wanna live in Daewoo land, go to Egypt!

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

delphis wrote:wow mmamdouh, I need to send you some moeny and have you ship me like 5 timing belts....:lol:
UMMMM... 5 1.6 DOHC timing belts are some 500 LE or so, thats 87.75USD... intrested??

MMamdouh
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

damn thats a great price...im gonna move to egypt just so i can afford to work on my woo, damn thats cheap!

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

:lol: nevermind
SyNt4x

Post by SyNt4x »

My timing belt cost me $28 AUD :P
43som

Post by 43som »

haven't done any timing belts yet, but i get them thru work, (autobarn) and prob fit it myself or bro(mech).
Every other part for the woo's ( i own 2) from glove boxes to dizzy's and everything else in between, my local holden/gmh dealer/spares... has came up with great prices and availibleity.
people tell me daewoo's dead and bad service etc. i think bullshit, as i get well looked after in everything daewoo....is it just me?
pavlozky
Junior

Post by pavlozky »

I've done the timing belt, water pump, tensiones etc. replace my self. Of course I have mech. tools but I'm not jejeje
It's not so dificult! One thing, Have some body to help you because someone has to "keep" the cams gears "under pressure" to keep timing marks aligned. And if you gone to change the Water pump just "mark" its position and aligne the new with those marks. that should do the work... And PLEASE change ALL Parts you have to. Don't keep none for other time, that will cost you more time and more $ if one brokes.
Lanos King Rules!