Nexia GLi 1997

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

gizneedshelp

Nexia GLi 1997

Post by gizneedshelp »

Hi, New to this sort of thing so please bear with me......I currently run a Nexia GLi registered in 1997. It only has 39000 on the clock due to being owned by a little old lady prior to my acquisition of it. I have it serviced regularily. Recently had the head gasket seal replaced. Shortly after the car started to sound like a diesel when started from cold/wet weather. Intermittent fault and was fine once warmed up. Took it to the garage but like most annoying faults it would not do it when with the mechanic. Misfire got worse as started doing it whilst warm and losing power going up hill/under pressure. agasin nothing could be found on diagnostic tests, eventually took car back and it was still doing misfire. Initially they thought it was the No2 injector but this was then dismissed and the HT Leads replaced. all has been fine for last two weeks until this morning. Took car out after it had sat overnight in damp/wet conditions, misfiring from start up and plumes of white smoke from exhaust. Bit embarressed driving it, but smoke disappeared then reappeared under accelration. Car still intermittently misfiring though. Smoke did not appear, to my untrained female eye, to be blue thereby indicating burning oil and did not smell like burning oil. Smoke deffo appeared to be white and smelt 'sweet'? I dont really want to get rid of the car as it has extremely low mileage for its year, and has been good over the last two and a bit yrs I have owned it. However, it is now getting to the stage were I dont feel safe driving it any distance for fear fo damaging the engine/cat/blowing the engine up etc etc. I will be taking it back to the garage tomorrow, but I am sure they will be mystified again for several weeks trying to resolve the problem. nearest Daewoo dealer is hours away from me and dont feel I could drive car that far with the problem. Anyone else suffered similar??????? any suggestions/advice/help greatly appreciated. Thanx Heather :? :(
panther

Post by panther »

I had similar probs with a Nexia GLXi (16v). It would run very rough when first started from cold (like it was only firing on 2 or 3 cylinders) but would be ok when warm. After a while it started to run rough more frequently even when the engine was hot. It turned out to be sticking valves due to incorrect grade of oil by previous owner. An engine flush and good quality oil cured the problem.
gizneedshelp

Post by gizneedshelp »

Hi Panther

Thanx for the reply but sadly thats already been tried :-(

I think its back to the garage again to try and track down the problem once again though i am sure the mechanics are fed up seeing me and the blasted car!!

Cheers anyway :)
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

hI Heather... did this problem happen right after the head gasket job? if so then they must have done something wrong during the re installation of the head... diesel engine sound is usualy a valve mechanism problem... also check the timing belt tensionit might be worngly tensioned.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

i would check the timing of the car to make sure everything is correctly aligned. if that doesn't yeild any results, perhaps you could check you thermostat, which may be adjusting fuel wrong based on the temperature of the engine being wrong.

hope those two things help.
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

I have a similar problem with my lanos, not as bad but it will sputter in the mornings and I think it could be a faulty AIT sensor along with something else but I am not 100% sure.
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

acording to the manual.... it suggests that you check all the pullies and the flywheel against the splash guard... i dunno what that's all about though
panther

Post by panther »

gizneedshelp wrote:Hi Panther

Thanx for the reply but sadly thats already been tried :-(

I think its back to the garage again to try and track down the problem once again though i am sure the mechanics are fed up seeing me and the blasted car!!

Cheers anyway :)
I would do a compression test to check suitable compression across all 4 cylinders.

Another common problem with these cars is the distributor is prone to failing which can give the symptons you describe. The distributor houses various sensors (cam / crank and I think the signal for injector pulse). The distributor are a common problem for failure on the Nexia but the only thing that concerns me is that your problems started soon after having a head gasket. Make sure the earth leads are connected to the inlet manifold at the rear of the engine.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

White sweet smelling smoke sounds like burning coolant..... it's probably an issue with your recent head gasket installation.

Odds are they didn't do a good job if you ask me..... when cold or under load it sounds like a little bit of coolant is leaking into one of the cylinders.

When the car warms up the gasket would seal better.

Do you know if they used a standard gasket.... or did they put on a MLS gasket?

If they installed an MLS gasket they probably didn't prep the block and cylinder head correctly.... and you must use a specific type of gasket sealer to make it work good.

MLS gaskets are great if everything is prepared correctly.... but if it's installed by someone who doesn't pay attension to detail the gasket seal will fail within hours/days/weeks of the installation.

As far as the sound.... I'm not too sure..... that could be cylinder pressure leaking into an adjacent cylinder (which has it's valve open on the intake stroke)

If I were you I'd start asking questions about the gasket install. (gasket type, sealant used.... perhaps they didn't torque the head correctly )

If I were you I would also consider replacing the timing belt at the same time.... if it's allready 9 years old the belt is probably going to start cracking soon.

Most people forget that time is just as important as mileage when replacing the timing belt.

By the way.... which motor do you have?
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
gizneedshelp

To all who replied

Post by gizneedshelp »

Right where to start..lol Nice to see so many helpful people out there. Well i am off to the garage this morning, if the car makes it that is! so will keep you all posted with any results.

Chris, The timing belt is due to be changed at some pont this yr as the old dear who had it before already did it in 2001 so its now five yrs old and I was aware that age counted not just miles, so if the car recoveres from this latest fault, it will be done. I too think it is linked to the head gasket, but not being technically minded, i unfortunately am in the same boat as a lot of other females and have to leave it all in the hands of the mechanics...............I know thats asking a lot but I dont have any other choice in the matter! For info the car is a Nexia 1.5GLI 1997 I know its 16v and thats it! I will endeavour to ask about sealent type etc as u suggest but am sure they will end up confusing me even more.......lol

Panther, I will ask them to check the leads you suggested and your right the problem only started a matter of a week after they did the gasket

Audio - i am lost with that too! As for timing that was all checked and double checked though it wil be done again. I know when they regassed my aircon system the timing had to be altered to accommodate it as it wouldnt idle properly

Delphis - Not knowing what an AIT sensor is, I can but ask them

The other thing I wanna get them to check out is the spark plug leads as it may be something as simple as that (unless that is what HT Leads are?)

Anyway, i will get back to you all with any news, once again thanx for all your suggestions, its given me a bit more ammo to take to the garage, hopefully they wont fire back technical stuff at me and blind me with science!

Heather :) :oops:
tango

Post by tango »

The question I would ask is why did you have the head gasket changed in the first place? If it was blown and then had to be replaced then you may have either a warped head or a corroded head (I've had the latter happen in my 8valver) which has not been rectified as well. That white smoke out the pipe would be consistent with coolant getting into the combustion chamber. The "sweet" smell you describe is DEFINITELY glycol being burnt...glycol being a major component of coolant. Let's hear what went on.
Cogito ergo sum...
gizneedshelp

Costly Repair!!!

Post by gizneedshelp »

:( Well thanks to all the people who took time and trouble to assist with my post......................I actually made a slight error in my original post, it was the rocker cover gasket that was replaced? whether that has anything to do with the head gasket/cylinder head....i dont know???????????

The car finally gave up running after starting it up to find myself engulfed in white smoke, luckily my neighbour was at hand and told me to not go anywhere........he had the same thing happen with his car (Not a Daewoo). left well alone being a Sunday and no garages open, waited until Monday morning (thankfully not at work) went out turned it over to get the infamous CLUNK! No life whatsoever. First time in all my years of driving I had to call out the recovery truck (how embarassing), car got towed to the garage, told them what I thought the problem was based on all the advice from the board and neighbour. Later taht day, Yes my head gasket had gone! My number 4 cylinder was full of water..........What to do, repair the car or quit and get another.....................I hate dilemas as I need my car for work due to my location and the lack of public transport. Unsure if I could get another car, i said go ahead, take the head off and tell me your worst! Well their worst was ?650 bill for repairs.............apparently the problem was due to corrosion??????????? They said it was something they did not expect to find for at least another couple of years???????? Maybe because I live near the sea, the salt in the air speeded up the process, who knows?? Anyway I now got my car back but due to the huge repair bill and not wishing to endure any more great costs, I have slightly lost faith/trust in the car and am on the look out for another motor and will eiather sell mine for what I can get or scrap it (which seems a shame as it runs beautifully now) Once again thanks for all the advice and I will definitely recommend your board and others of a similar ilk to people with car troubles.......you have all been so helpful and kind. I think we need more boards of this sort in the UK, no offence but everyone here seems to be abroad! LOL You all take care and keep up the good work and once again THANK YOU ALL :D :smt038
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

it is sad to hear that... specially with your labour costs, Chris of daewootech yahoo group got the same issue but he replaced the gasket himself and the car is running better than ever now... no idea if you cna do it yourself but it is not that complicated job.

MMamdouh
gizneedshelp

Post by gizneedshelp »

MMamdouh wrote:it is sad to hear that... specially with your labour costs, Chris of daewootech yahoo group got the same issue but he replaced the gasket himself and the car is running better than ever now... no idea if you cna do it yourself but it is not that complicated job.

MMamdouh
Hi MMamdouh, if I were technically/mechanically minded then perhaps I would have done it myself, mind the other solution was not to have gotten divorced from my ex who is a mechanic! LOL..........Even my car wasnt worth hanging onto him for! ;-) I know where you are coming from, but being a mere female who knows naff all about motors except how to drive em and check fluid levels etc (although I can change a fan belt!), no offence to any females in here who can do things with their cars, it was left tothe garage to sort out the repairs at the cost of ?650. The choices now are do I keep the car and risk another major mechanical fault or get rid whilst it is still running? I hate making decisions!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love my car and have grown attached to it but just feel I cant trust it anymore, silly I know, but when it is used daily and you are completely reliant upon it, I need to know it isnt gonna strand me in the middle of nowhere at silly o clock in the morning as unfortuantely I work shifts some of which end at 3am! Dark roads, no footpaths or street lamps, middle of nowhere and plenty of a**h**les on the road who dont see your warning lights until they run into the back of you! But hey thanks for the thoughts and comments, mind even if I were that way inclined, i have nowhere to conduct such work nor the tools! LOL :?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

it is not that fatal problem to have a blowen head gasket... it is just too much parts to take off to reach it, once you replace it the car will be fine once again.... you got a SOHC engine... right? that will make the job easyer and if you decided to repair it i'd throw in a timing belt, tensioner and water pump to save on the insanly labour costs in the future.

MMamdouh