Tyre rotation problem

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

koh

Tyre rotation problem

Post by koh »

Hi,

Tried to attempt tyre rotation. The problem lies with my front right tyre ( driver side, mine is a right hand drive Lanos). I can't fit the rear right tyre to the front right side as only three bolts can secure into the tyre. The fourth bolt just keep on turning and not tighten.

However, when I placed back the orginal front right tyre. All four bolts able to be tighten. Cannot figure out why ?

I suspected that the pervious owner had an accident on the right side of the vehicle as I noticed the right front door is not in line ( a gap).

Now, I wonder whether the rim is damaged or the right rotor disc ?

Any ideals. Thanks.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

try to pin point the problem first... is it a bad rim or a bad hub?

if you can fit any other rim (the spare tire for example) at the front right end of the car then the rim you got from the back is out of geometry.

if it goes the other way round and the tire you took off from the front right end can't be fitted else where then it is the one out of geometry.

whith the rim off try to inspect the threading of all 4 bolts and holes to see if they are stripped or have something off... even try to fit the bolts into the hole and turn them all the way in without the rim to see if it will bolt or keep on spinning in vain.

if one or mopre bolts spin in vain or can't be fitted at all then you might need a new bolt or a front hub... the rotor got nothing to do with this issue as nothing bots into it... it simply lies between the hub and rim with the bolt screwed to the hub and securing both the rim and rotor.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
koh

Post by koh »

Thanks.

I guessed I will not do any tyre rotation. Most people in Singapore stayed in apartment. We leave our cars at the public car park building. Moreover, I do not have a garge type car jack and car stand. I used two portable ones to jack up.

I admit that I tried only one rear tyre and not the other side rear tyre.

Due to that unable to secure the tyre problem, I strugged and got a painful back that day. As I injured my back before during work and got spine compression. It tooks a week for me to recover.

Sigh !
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

it could be a stripped nut, or worse, a stripped thread
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

if the wheel hub is stripped a quick (temporary) fix is to just helicoil the stripped out hole. its really easy (ive done it on my wheel hub)