How much is the operating fuel pressure on our cars?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

How much is the operating fuel pressure on our cars?

Post by MMamdouh »

Hi guys... i know it was discussed before but i am a little confused :? is it 34 psi or 43 psi?? i am talking about Lanos fuel system here on both the 1.5 and 1.5 engines.

also if it is any different, please sepacify how much fuel pressure the Nubira and Leganza uses?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
smo

Post by smo »

On the 2001 Nubira, the factory service manaul specifies 41-47 psi, (or 284-235 kPa).
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

I have the 1.5 SOHC with the newer looking fuel rail (not the big silver one) and the base idle fuel pressure was 34psi. I measured this before i put the RRFPR on...

I've bumped this to about 41psi though and i got low 14:1 a/f ratio at idle on the wideband.

--Tim
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

IC... does the fuel pressure vary due to the fuel rail shape? i mean i have the same engine as yours but i got the old shape fuel rale so does it mean that my fuel pressure is different than what you have?

MMamdouh
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

I dont know... i would assume not. arent the silver fuel rails bigger? so more volume = less pressure? but then again its such a small part of the system that it probably makes little if any difference anyways...

--Tim
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i think it is more about the fuel pressure regulator setting rather than rail size.

it would only need more work from the fuel pump to maintain the same fuel pressure in a bigger fuel rail but again how much bigger are we talking here? the way i see it is that the size difference is not that relevant.

BTW: how does the OEM fuel pressur regulator work?? i see it is hooked to the intake so i recon the intake vacuum affects the fuel pressure but i don't know how? does the more vacuum makes the fuel pressure increas or is it the other way round?

MMamdouh
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

Yep, i agree with you about the sizing, its too small a difference to make any noticeable (if any) change in pressure...

The vacuum line to the regulator controls the pressure (there is a spring controlled diaphragm inside to my knowledge). It will increase the pressure with the more air the regulator sees. So as you open up the butterfly on the throttle body, the engine sees more air and it needs more fuel. So the regulator bumps up the pressure.

Now we dont want to start the whole battle between fuel pressure and flow here... :) hehehe

--Tim