'89 LeMans Radiator Fan - Help

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

rbinc

'89 LeMans Radiator Fan - Help

Post by rbinc »

Awesome to find a site that includes info on the weird little LeMans!

We were given an 89 Lemans GSE 2.0 liter for free with a blown head gasket. Will be my son's first car. I agreed because it is sporty looking and with the 2.0 liter, should be quite snappy.

I have rebuilt the motor (and this was no small undertaking finding parts). Punched it ..020 but otherwise completely stock.

Started it up yesterday and running great in the shop but the radiator fan does not seem to come on. But when I bridge "A" and "B" on the diagnostic connector in order to set timing, the fan comes on fine with key "on" but does not continue to run with engine started while still in diagnostic mode. Additionally, if I connect 12V directly to the fan, it runs fine. So I do not suspect the fan motor is faulty.

Since this is a brand new motor, I am reluctant to watch the temp gauge get far past halfway on the dial without hearing the fan come on. I do have a digital thermometer and if I am simply not allowing it to get hot enough in order to come on, I can monitor coolant temp and test this, but don't know at what temp this is supposed to come on.

Can anyone help? I found the wonderful manual .pdfs on this site that will really help with much of the rest of the car, but there was little detail on troubleshooting the cooling fan.

My son is dying to drive this, so please help us out if you can?

Regards,

Robert
rbinc

Post by rbinc »

Following up:

Looked closer at the "Cooling" pdf for the european cars and found the fan cycling temps.

However, the pdf states that the thermostatic switch that controls the fan cycle is located in the side of the radiator and this is NOT the case with this LeMans. It would appear that the computer (via input from the ECT sensor) controls the fan cycle. I know the ECT to be good.

And I notice the photos of the 2.0 liter engines are similar but certainly not identical to the LeMans 2.0 liter

Can the cycling temps in the pdf be trusted for the LeMans as well?

Thanks again for any help you can provide.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i am not familiar with the lemans engine but on a 1.6 lanos the fans kick in at low speed when coolant temp is some 92C or 93C and switches to high speed at 97C.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
rbinc

Post by rbinc »

Thanks for your help! I let it run up to 96C and the fan kicks right in. I believe either the gauge or gauge sender is out of whack because it is nearly in the red when the coolant is actually still relatively cool. I'm sure you relate to my nervousness with a new motor and a discomforting temp gauge!

Regards
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

I used to drive the same car...then swapped the motor to same, but with turbo (pictures are in the member's section)

The coolant temperature sensor, responsible for informing the ECM of engine temperature is located below the distributor housing, in the cylinder head. Its a small sensor, with a single spade connector. Replacing it should rectify late engagement of cooling fans. Normally it goes on about 3/4 temp..

Let us know if you need assistance located any parts for the GSE.

Tom

Post by rbinc »

Thanks Tom. I'll start another topic on what I need. Love your site.

And this really is a cool little car. Looks a little goofy from the front, but sharp loking from the rear.

Has plenty of power with this fresh 2 liter and the expense of the KYB shocks and struts was worth it. Handles every bit as well as a similar sized 318 BMW.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

360 Dynamics wrote:The coolant temperature sensor, responsible for informing the ECM of engine temperature is located below the distributor housing, in the cylinder head. Its a small sensor, with a single spade connector. Replacing it should rectify late engagement of cooling fans. Normally it goes on about 3/4 temp..
My old 2.0 8v also had it in that same place.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph