Project Trubo Woo

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

richardmatalon
Junior

Project Trubo Woo

Post by richardmatalon »

Ok guys, I got my spare engine, Finally, it is the 2.0 t20-sed I think , the nubira engine. I live in Miami Fl, I had a question to ask you guys. I need to know what aftermarket forgerd pistons are available for the nubira engine, I am also looking into changing rods. i know that i could just send them to je, or who ever and get them custom made, but do u know if there is already a set that will work?? Well an help that you can give me will be much appreciated. Also, anyone who has taken on this project, you input would be welcomed. Thanks
damian007vk
Super

supposedly

Post by damian007vk »

supposedly.. www.mantaparts.com has performance engine internals for the GM ecotech 2.0L found in the nubira head also shared by other GM vehciles
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

You got me all excited... I thought it said Project Turbo Woo... lol
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I've posted several links with regards to forged connecting rods and the pistons shouldn't be too hard to find either.

If you go through the "Search" link you will find my post of prices on several different manufacturers (including custom rods)

When searching for things you might want to consider looking at the C20XE and C20LET (if you plan to turbo the engine)

The C20XE pistons/con rods should work just fine if you don't plan on using a turbo.

I have a set of American ECOTEC 2.2L rods/pistons which I'm now comparing to my C20GET (2.0L 8V Turbo) rod/pistons.

So far they look very promising.... the main difference is the big end width of the connecting rod.... which is machined after so it would be fairly easy to make a set of ECOTEC 2.2L rods with the slightly larger big end size. (the difference is fairly small.... around 0.100" but it's very important)

The ECOTEC 2.2L rod piston combo works because the overall height from the center of the connecting rod to the top of the piston is nearly identical to that of the C20GET.

I still have to do the compression ratio calculations but they shouldn't be off by more than a few percent.

The advantage of the ECOTEC 2.2L con rod/piston combo is that the connecting rod is longer (better rod angle and dwell at TDC) the piston skirts are shorter and it uses a floating pin design to connect the rod to the piston.

As well the ECOTEC 2.2L parts are much easier to find and generally cheaper.

( just as a side note.... I compared the ECOTEC 2.2L cranshaft to the C20GET and they are not compatible due to the cylinder bore spacing)

This is the only piece of the puzzle I have left to solve.... I'm thinking of using the GM Drag engine connecting rods and pistons with a custom "honda" cranks ( smaller bearing journals.... think it was something like 1.88" )
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Hey so that means we can use the connecting rod. The nly thing to do is shave the thick end. If so can you give the part number of the conecting rods and piston head. Thanks im on the same pathe collecting parts for the project. i already have the nuby engine, the wireing harness and the ECM. Ohh by the way i have a 1.5 liter engine in a 1998 lanos engine do i have to change the wiring harness and the transmission for the engine swap. Thanks. Illbe posting pics soon of my new engine :lol:
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Transmission is fine... it will mount up to the 2.0L without any major modifications.

Yes.... you need to change your ECU/wiring or it will run like crap (if it runs at all)

You should use the ECU and wiring harness from the 2.0L to make it work correctly....although the wiring is one of the harder things to do in the swap (unless you are experienced)

You might want to talk to Maniac16V if you want to use the stock ECU.... he ran a 2.0L with an ECU designed for a smaller engine so he would be able to help you in that respect.

The ECOTEC rod is smaller than the C20GET rod (same as the Nubira rod) so it needs to be a custom ECOTEC rod.

When the manufacturer makes the ECOTEC rod they machine down the big end width to fit the standard ECTOEC crankshaft.

It shouldn't be hard to get the manufacturer (such as Crower) to machine less of the big end to make it the right size for the C20GET/T20SED/U20SED crank.
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Thanks for the Info one mor thing i have a manuel tranny Does the ECU recognize if its a auto or manuel. Does the Ecu have to be a specific one. :?
damian007vk
Super

at least

Post by damian007vk »

at least in the case of the lanos ecu, i know there are 2 different ones....the auto one and the manual one....so yes it differs...so I would assume the same would hold true for the nubby ecu