My new headlight project - DONE!! (pics)

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

i just cut off the other halo. didn't feel like messing with it. but yeah it works awesome!!!!! :D

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

bravo
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Nice!! Now what'd you use to mount the angel eyes?
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

i tried to use the clips at first but it didn't work out like with you. but i just used some super glue on the bottom. the top part didn't touch the top of the headlight housing so its just supported by the bottom. but its staying still so its all good. i just hope that its still air tight in there. i guess i'll find out whenever it rains. :lol:

nick

AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

lanos2001 wrote:i tried to use the clips at first but it didn't work out like with you. but i just used some super glue on the bottom. the top part didn't touch the top of the headlight housing so its just supported by the bottom. but its staying still so its all good. i just hope that its still air tight in there. i guess i'll find out whenever it rains. :lol:

nick
Yeah, mine's exactly the same. And it's fine when it rains.
blackielaw
Junior

Post by blackielaw »

2 quick questions pls:

1. How did you guys manage manage to spray the parts of the headlights you wanted only without accidently spraying the middle parts of the lens too ?

2. Once you opened the headlaps and sprayed them, what did you use to seal them back?

Tnx
"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid."

1999 Lanos
(The only modified Lanos in Malta)
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

okay i didn't spray mine but when you take it apart the chrome part is actually two pieces so you don't have to worry about over spray. and to seal it back up i just heated it back up and used the old sealant still on the headlight. you'll see what i'm talking about if you do it yourself. or you can use some silicon too if you want to make sure its air tight. it just rained here today and mine are still air tight. hope this answers your questions.

nick

AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

lanos2001 wrote:okay i didn't spray mine but when you take it apart the chrome part is actually two pieces so you don't have to worry about over spray. and to seal it back up i just heated it back up and used the old sealant still on the headlight. you'll see what i'm talking about if you do it yourself. or you can use some silicon too if you want to make sure its air tight. it just rained here today and mine are still air tight. hope this answers your questions.

nick
Yep, the chrome part of the headlight (that's inside) completely comes off and you can spray paint it however you want without worrying. The middle reflecter where the bulb is stays in the headlight assembly and is not removable I don't think.
I sealed it just like Nick did.
blackielaw
Junior

Post by blackielaw »

I must congratulate all those who managed to open up their headlights and made a good job... I tried to open up mine this morning and made a complete mess out of it. After 5 mins of the lights being in the oven, the bottom plastic parts started to melt and the result wasnt pleasant at all. In spite of that still didn't open :( At least no permanent damage done. But no do-it-yourself black headlight job for me :evil:

1999 Lanos
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

that's why i hate the oven thing... try to use a sharp knife or a cutter to open up the headlight... some dude with a red 1.5 Lanos did it that way.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Man... what temperature did you have on? Hopefully not more than 200 F.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

200F :shock: :shock: i thought that is in celesus... i thought "damn the headlights will be toast... thats for sure"

how hight is 200F on the celesus scale??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

200F = 93.3333 Celcius.
blackielaw
Junior

Post by blackielaw »

got no idea what temperature it was, my oven doesn't have temperature markings. I was very careful to check that everything was going on ok, but the headlight started melting all of a sudden. With regards to using a screwdriver to open it, it would take ages apat from being a bit dangerous too.

Could you maybe suggest an alternative way of heating it up, maybe some heat source whcih is easier to control? haven't quite given up yet...

1999 Lanos
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

other than a heat gun i souldn't know. and yes the screw driver idea is possible but would take a long time plus possibly damage the headlights. i know i tried that first for like 30 minutes and got no where. if you remember which setting you had your oven at try it a bit lower. or buy a temp gauge for like a turkey or something and turn it on take the temp to see if its at about 200-250 degrees F.

or you could always just stick a GI Joe in the oven and see when the melting point is. :lol:

nick