p0301/p0122 Crappy:idle/drive/low power.Had burnt hose(fixed

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Edman

p0301/p0122 Crappy:idle/drive/low power.Had burnt hose(fixed

Post by Edman »

I have a 2000 Daewoo Lanos 1.6. Car ran fine, until it started to shake at idle and run crappy. I checked the problem codes: 1= P0301: cylinder 1 misfire, 2=p0122 throttle/pedal position sensor/switch A circuit low.

At first I noticed a vaccum hose colapsed, going from the valve cover to the carb?

Then I noticed a hose going from the valve cover to the large intake hose, this looked melted? I replaced both and it now idles better, but still runs sluggish.

Some where on this fourm I read someone had a similar problem, I think it was a Cam sensor issue. Any pointers???????????

Edman

Btw: Almost 2 years ago I replaced the Timming belt and rebuilt the top end with information from this fourm. THX!
Last edited by Edman on Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edman

One more code

Post by Edman »

So far codes:
p0342
p0301
p0122

Any thoughts, I've ordered a new camshaft sensor. I'll try and swap wires to check miss fire. But what about the throttle position sensor /low circuit?
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

As far as the throttle position sensor...you need to take it off the throttle body and find a parts store that can test it...if it's good then you'll need to check the wires to it...I had a problem with the wires to mine...they had gotten too close to the engine and melted the cover off causing the wires to break...I simply found the break and soldered in a short piece of wire at the break and all is good.

Jimmy
caprice

Post by caprice »

Did you try the cam position sensor?
Edman

fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Codes gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Edman »

Codes are gone! Engine light off! The Lanos runs great. Now I need to smog it and register again!

RECAP:

I have a Daewoo 2000 1.6 Lanos. At 110,000 it was rebuilt with new valves,timing belt,water pump etc. It ran great till 132,000 miles. I live in Los Angeles and ride my motorcycle almost everyday, I drive my car to get food,laundry and road trips. I took me 2 1/5 years to make 22,000 more miles.

Engine light comes on and flashes CRAP! Time to get computer to read codes:

p0342 Camshaft Position Sensor A-Bank 1 Circuit Low Input
p0300, p0301, it changed from multi miss fires to miss fire on cylinder 1
p0122 throttle/pedal position sensor/switch A circuit low input

Basically the car idles really bad, it ran ruff and barely moved. If I press the gas pedal a quarter of the way down it runs ok and slowly speeds up. Once the engine gets to higher RPM it moves semi Ok, I could get it on the freeway...

First thing I did was look under the hood, I noticed the large hose that goes from the valve cover to the air hose housing was split and looked melted, strange! also the little thin hose from the valve cover to the air manifold looked colapsed.

1- I replaced both hoses, the car now holds a better idle, but it still runs the same/crap slow.

2- Everything I read here tells me I have to replace the camshaft position sensor, because of code P0342(common recall problem). I find a new one on Ebay, I hit "buy now" $65 charged/ I wait.

3- As I wait I started to look at the throttle body, I wanted to look at the "throttle pedal position sensor". Here is when I notice the inner throttle body is caked with black carbon! Ok, I'll admit for 8000 miles I did not change my motor oil/maybe more! I've read when oil gets old, it gets thin and vaporises! I'm thinking the vaporised oil burnt the hose and caked the throttle body with carbon. Also caused the thiner tube (off the valve cover) to collapse!

4- The throttle body has two electronic devices: 1 (TPS) throttle position sensor and 2 (IAC) "Idle Air Control" vavle. The computer told me the TPS is bad, but it sits outside the throttle body-looks fine! (i'll try and replace it). The IAC mounts outside but is exposed inside, it's covered in carbon, I clean it, fiddle with it and it breaks! I personally think it was bad already! The metal plunger on the IAC is metal, but threads into plastic, I think it skipped a few threads. Great now two more parts I need to find!

5- I get the CPS (Camshaft Position Sensor) in the mail! If you've done a timing belt job, changing the CPS is only 1/3 the job, 1 hour tops! The timing belt cover is two pieces, you just have to remove the top cover. Careful not to drop any bolts, or else you'll have to remove the lower cover. Add 20-60 more minutes if this happens. removing the crankshaft pulley is a bitch for me, I don't have a compressor, I just get creative!

6-So new CPS is installed and I have new hoses! I clear my computer and I test ride(5 miles)! Now I just reinstalled the broken IAC, the car runs stronger, the idle holds way better! But I get a flashing signal again P0301 and P0122.

7- I decide before I buy new TPA(throttle Position Sensor) and IAC(dle Air Control" vavle) a lot of $$$, I'll stroll over to the junkyards! $3 entry fee to lot, extra $2 to enter 2000 and newer inner car lot(kinda like Disneyland). I luck out! I find a 2001 Lanos with 65,000 miles on the clock! Someone removed the cam cover and pulleys, but stopped! I found the timming belt on ther floor, it was missing a few teeth! I guess they figured the valves were toast and gave up! Everything else is intact! HAHA! I remove the TPS,IAC, 1 fuel Injector(encase cylinder's 1 was bad). I also take the ignition coil! All in my backpack= free to me or $5. I get back on my bike and go home!

8-Before I get home I pick up a new set of plugs. So Now I clean and install the IAC and TPS, I clear the computer and drive 5 miles again! The car runs even better! But the Engine light comes on flashing again! I read the computer, it tells me P0300, p0301 and P0507 (Idle Control System RPM Higher Than Expected)

9- I decide to change the plugs now, I noticed the plugs had a lot of oil around them. Mostly on Cylinders 1 and 2. Somewhere I read that a miss fire code will throw because of this, but I can't think of why. When I installed the IAC, I forgot to use the o-ring, this explains code P0507. Now I also decide to install the coil pack too, why not?

10- I decide to test ride back to the junkyard, The car runs even better! NO ENGINE LIGHT!!! Nothing the car hauls! I sat in traffic and runs perfect, no engine light or flashes! So I buy a nicer front bumper, driver side door, leftside headlight bucket. Now it runs better and will look nicer! I'll be happy if I get another 20,000 out of it! I expect it to die after 160,000 miles.

Thanks to everyone you gave me their input! Also theres a complete 2001 Lanos with stick shift at the Sun valley octopus salvage yard in Los Angeles. I took all the good parts off the 65,000 mile one. I might go back for the after market rear spoiler it has... maybe!

Thanks to everyone, Edman!
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

...If you keep up with maintenance, your car will go a LOT further than 160,000 miles. My '99 Lanos has 210,000 miles and barring some trouble I had with the ECU acting up last month, it runs like a top.