Engine build up

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

JoshC

Engine build up

Post by JoshC »

I've never really broke in a throttle body on a motor. But as i was taking apart the intake to be able to get to a few things i found a bottle of oil attached to the air intake tube. The little black bottle attached to the bottom of the air intake, what is that for? Anyways, it was about all the way full of old black oil. So i started to investigate a bit further and found that the throttle body was nasty. Twisted on the cable and the under side of the butterfly valve is a good 1/4" of caked crud. So we pulled the body off and it is just freakin nasty. All inside the manifold is....horrible! I've never seen something that bad. Is this a good canidate for Seafoam? I've never used it and i've heard wonderful things about it.

Would this have something to do with my oil pressure problem? We started the car today and it knocked for about 1 second and quit. I reved it easy up and down until it got to operating temp. Not a sign of the oil pressure light. Seemed to be fine today. Any ideas???

MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

OMG

if i were you i'd take off that intake mani and clean the hell out of it as well as the TB and the IAC... you are probably loosing some 1000 HP due to this buildup.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Wow thats pretty bad man, you really need to clean it.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Lol holy shit like, i've never seen anything like that in my life.
SAZ
---------------------
JoshC

Post by JoshC »

I thought you all would enjoy the picture :D What causes build up like that. I guess i could pull the manifold off and soak it in the parts cleaner.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

that build up is from the vaccume hose that attaches to the intake mani. get a oil catch can from ebay for like $30 and itwont happen any more. damn thats bad....

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
jak4calibrah

Post by jak4calibrah »

wow! i've carbed cleaned a number of carbs and throttle bodies but never have i seen one this bad, neways its good that finallly u can clean it all out. oh and yeh any carburator cleaner should clean it out, but for your case use should buy a few :lol:
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

yummy mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................ :lol: yea thats sucks, i had to clean in my dads 87 Mercedes but it was much better than this one, holy shit!!! :shock:
JoshC

Post by JoshC »

I'm going to pull the manifold off today. If you think that picture is bad wait until you see the next one i post of the inside the manifold!!
JoshC

Post by JoshC »

Alright, screw taking the manifold off. That's going to be way to much work for now. What can i run through the motor when i get it back together to clean it up?
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

I wouldnt run fuck all through it to clean that lol.

Seriously, think about it, i know seafoams good, it breaks it down and spits it out, that type of thing, but. Seriosuly? Would you want that traveling further than it already has into the engine?

I say take it off, clean it, stick it back on, then do the seafoam.

That seriously is bad, i've a 20 year old engine and it's not that bad.
SAZ
---------------------
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

seafoam should work good for that, just put new plugs in and you should be ok, it is "only" oil and such.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
JoshC

Post by JoshC »

Pir0 wrote:That seriously is bad, i've a 20 year old engine and it's not that bad.
LOL, it is bad!

I went ahead and cleaned the TB out really good and cleaned what i could on the manifold. Sorry Pir0, i didn't take it off ;)

On the intake tube, what is that little horn shaped catch all for? It had oil in it too. I took most of the hoses and vacuum lines off and cleaned those too.
Last edited by JoshC on Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Lol i swear m8, my engines about 15-20 years old and the inlet still looks like factory.
SAZ
---------------------
jak4calibrah

Post by jak4calibrah »

i think the reason why its so cloged is because of neglected oil changes. i'm no expert on oil but fresh oil has all these properties and tons of other stuff to make it strong. as it gets used in an engine it loses these properties from heat, friction and type of driving conditions. as u keep using ur car u can see that the oil going black, but this is a good thing, it means its working. once u pass a certain stage the oil becomes thinner and it bakes and turns into that hard black stuff(coking?), i think as the oil went through this stage, it evaporated easier (comparing to fresh oil) and all that stuff went through the pvc system. i have a feeling its a similar story under ur rocker cover.