cam sensor trigger

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kopisti

cam sensor trigger

Post by kopisti »

Could anybody tell me what triggers the camshaft position sensor on a Lanos?
Is there anything at the end of the camshaft which triggers the sensor, or it's only a gap?
It's a 1.4 engine.

Thanks
Last edited by kopisti on Wed May 21, 2008 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

the sensor is magnetic and reads off the cam gear. there is a thicker section on the back of the gear that the magnetreads off of when it spins around.

Garrett
kopisti

Post by kopisti »

gse_turbo wrote:the sensor is magnetic and reads off the cam gear. there is a thicker section on the back of the gear that the magnetreads off of when it spins around.

Garrett
Thanks Garrett but the thing is my one is an SOHC engine and the sensor looks like this:

When I took out the sensor I could feel a small gap on the camshaft. So either this is normal and this gap triggers the hall sensor or something has fallen off from here.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

:oops: sorry, i didn't see that you put 1.4 on the message.

I don't really know anything about the SOHC small blocks

Garrett
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i recon it will work just like any cam sensor... isn't their a metal chunk or magnetic chunk on one part of the cam gear to create the magnetic pulse?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
kopisti

Post by kopisti »

MMamdouh wrote:i recon it will work just like any cam sensor... isn't their a metal chunk or magnetic chunk on one part of the cam gear to create the magnetic pulse?

MMamdouh
I've checked it there is a metal chunk on the camshaft. I took out the sensor and connected a DVM, moving a piece of metal at the end of the sensor it switches between +5V and GND. When the camshaft is turning and the chunk reaches the sensor the voltage should drop to GND and when leaves the sensor it supposed to be +5V again. I checked the signal with a scope:

+12V, +5V and GND are look OK.
The sensor is new, what are the chances for this one is malfunctioning?
My last thought is that maybe the gap between the sensor and the chunk is not appropriate.
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

It's possible that sensor's failed also. Trace the wires from the sensor and make sure they're not broken somewhere.
SAZ
---------------------
kopisti

Post by kopisti »

I've made another measurement and my 12V looks like this at the sensor:

Could you tell me where is the main relay because I think this can cause such a surge.

Thanks
kopisti

Post by kopisti »

Another thing: occasionally when engine starts the cooling fan switches on with cold engine. After a while it goes off.
I read somewhere if an error occurs the ecu switches on the fan.
I took out the sensor and moved a piece of metal at the end, it was switching like dream. (checked on scope).
Maybe if it has to switch with higher speed the transistor inside can't do this job properly. A hesitation can be seen on the picture I attached earlier. I run out of ideas. :(
kopisti

Post by kopisti »

Do you know that whether an Aveo camshaft sensor works in a Lanos?
kopisti

Post by kopisti »

Can anybody tell me for sure if there is a magnet on the camshaft which is turning around? (I don't think so)
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

I think your cam sensor is a hall effect one and maybe has a internal magnet. Look under sensors for a explanation: http://apps.bosch.com.au/motorsport/pro ... efault.htm .
But at least you need to have "something different" material/density traveling on it's face.

Daniel