Lanos Gearbox?

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

yourtoday

Lanos Gearbox?

Post by yourtoday »

:oops: Hi
I'm new to this forum and have recently bought a 1998 Lanos 1.5 manual, I have decided to give the once over, changing oil and filters cam belt etc, however I am unable to locate the gearbox oil drain plug, filling cap or level indicator, as you may have realised I do not have a workshop manual. Therefore I thought I would ask the question to all you experts, 1. how to drain the oil. 2. how to refill the gearbox and finally what is the capcity of oil needed?

thanks for your help :oops:

Yourtoday
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Quoted from Migweb.
to fill up with the correct amount of box oil, about 2" to the left and up a bit of the drivers side driveshaft/inner cv joint, there is a 13mm headed bung, remove this, to fill up with oil, on the top of the gear turret on the top of the box there is a white or black plastic cap, remove this with a pair of pliers or similar, underneath is a filler bung, you will need a deep 17mm socket or normal spanner to get it off, undo and remove fully, fill the box through this hole until the oil starts to come out the hole by the cv joint, when oil comes out it means its up to its level, replace the filler and level bungs and thats it.
You can see on this pic,

Ontop of the gear selector, you can see a kinda creamy coloured cap. Take that off, and then you can get at the socket, as said there, you'll need a long 17 socket or a spanner to take it out, then pour your juice in there :smt023
SAZ
---------------------
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

tranny takes 1.8 liters of W90 oil and their is no drain plug... you gotta remove the tranny oil pan to drain the old oil.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
yourtoday

Post by yourtoday »

:p Great advise, thanks for you time guys :p
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Wing 2 litres in! Won't do it any harm and easier to judge :D
SAZ
---------------------
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

as far im aware there is a drain plug, is near the inner CV joint on the passenger side (left had drive)
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

You sure? You pull the shaft from the gearbox to drain it like, but that's rash. I have heard of it, but never really looked for it.

Other than that, only ones i know are there are the level plug [which would drain if there's too much in it] and the fill plug.

Sounds awfully like the level plug from what i quoted.
[On a rhd car]
to fill up with the correct amount of box oil, about 2" to the left and up a bit of the drivers side driveshaft/inner cv joint, there is a 13mm headed bung, remove this
Which is the cv joint at the engine side of the gearbox, which i think is the one you mean too.
SAZ
---------------------
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Efrain A. wrote:as far im aware there is a drain plug, is near the inner CV joint on the passenger side (left had drive)
that would be the oil level plug... you gotta remove the pan to drain the oil

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267