Thinking about engine swap in the Lanos. any thoughts?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

you can get a d20 from a nubria or forenza, it will bolt directly into your car.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

is that the stock engine in the nubira? someone told me it needs custom mounts... i would love it if it was direct bolt on.. and how hard is it to rewire everything?? i'm not to good with random wires.. and would i have to use a nubira ECU?
greenbluewoo
Expert

Post by greenbluewoo »

you would have to get the front engine mount off a 87-90 2.0 pontiac lemans or you could buy one off gse_turbo and I heard some where you could use the lanos ecu but Im not sure on that one oh and the lanos transmission will bolt on to the nubira engine
2.0 engine swap in the works
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Nooo, you can't use the lanos ecu. And basically. If you buy a nubira that's been wrote off, as in, in a crash and not road legal, say, hit from the back, as long as theres no frontal damage, you can take the entire engine and loom, including the ecu, and gearbox. Or if you want shorter ratios and quicker gearBOX changes, stick with your own gearbox :P You can also take the radiator, but you wont need that. I'm not thinking straight this morning, but after that, all you need to wire up is cosmetics, seeing as the engines been pre-wired in the nubira. [Just lift the engine with loom attached. Disconnect ecu and pass the big clip thing [that the ecu goes on] through the bulk head that the ecu goes on]. I honestly cant remember what else needs done, but as i said, mostly cosmetics. And by cosmetics i mean dash lights and things, temperature, rev guage, oil warning lights etc.. The only way to do that is trace what wires do what on both engines.

As was said, the mount you'll need is the front engine mount. You can get it off a pontiac lemans in the states, or if you can't find one, Vauxhall Astra mk2's / Opel Kadett E's use them. I think there's one called an Opel Suberboss in South africa which is just a kadett. They all use the same engine mount, AS LONG AS ITS A BIG BLOCK ENGINE. 1.8L + [except for one 1.6 engine but i find it hard finding them engines lol, so you'll find it next to impossible in the states] If my memeory serves me right, the lanos and the nubira use the same shafts so you wont need to change your hubs.

Hope this clears up a bit for you.

[EDIT] Yeah i think you'll need to wire up the ignition too.
SAZ
---------------------
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

sounds like I will have to take a nice week or so off of work to get this all working.
AntDX316
Junior

Post by AntDX316 »

spend 1-2k on a custom turbo kit with an Apexi Neo Walbro 255 and 400-450cc injectors boost to 15psi tune it urself and u have whats better than an engine swap
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

AntDX316 wrote:spend 1-2k on a custom turbo kit with an Apexi Neo Walbro 255 and 400-450cc injectors boost to 15psi tune it urself and u have whats better than an engine swap
You're not getting the point here m8.

What was suggested was. Do an engine swap, then turbo it, the exact same way.

Then you've got something that's better than a 1.6 turbo screaming as you squeeze whats left out of it...
SAZ
---------------------
AntDX316
Junior

Post by AntDX316 »

yea but 1.6 with an engine upgrade can be done cause if he swaps it a 2.2 u can only do like <300 on it

it would be a waste of money to upgrade the 2.2 and only do <300 its better to just buy an Evo 8
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Lol why an evo 8? I can think of many better cars lol..

And like i said, he'll have more money at a later point right? Doesnt mean 6k is all he'll ever have.
SAZ
---------------------
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

Ant, why don't you buy an Evo 8, then you can leave this forum and go be with the Fast & the Furious boys at an evo forum...
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

were all adults here, lets stop the name calling.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

If i had the money for an Evo... I would not buy one. The car I will be getting after summer is either a 2006 Subaru impreza WRX STI or a Infinity G35. This is when I am 18 and get a full time job at the part time one I have now.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

sorry mofo im being childish.
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
jak4calibrah

Post by jak4calibrah »

mate, first off i'll be honest and say i don't really like daewoo's. i joined up because my dad has a nubira and i needed help with the timing belt and this site saved my ass..so thanks. i drive a calibra, and well thats basically made by the same company (GM) and i like it very much even though some people say it's shit. my point is, if thats the car he wants to tune then go for it. do you realise how ashmed a person would feel if they got beaten by a daewoo?? very much soo, so we should all help out and not give advice to go out of the topic.
jak4calibrah

Post by jak4calibrah »

yeh for the F28 which is almost always used with a transfer box hence when you decide to run it 2wd you need a blanking plate.