Thinking about engine swap in the Lanos. any thoughts?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

sheepdizildawg
Expert

Thinking about engine swap in the Lanos. any thoughts?

Post by sheepdizildawg »

Hey by the end of the summer I will have about $6000 I'm guessing saved up. I was wondering what the best engine is for my money and how hard it would be to put in... I am not into engine swaps all that much, more of a computer person, so any thoughts would help. its a 1999 daewoo lanos sedan if it matters

thanks

tyler
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

where are you from. what kind of driveing are you gonna do in the car? (ie drag race, road course etc)

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
AntDX316
Junior

Post by AntDX316 »

for 6k u should get custom made forged engine parts and buy a complete turbo kit to do 300hp if ur on manual or not change any engine parts and boost to 6psi for 1k
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Spend $1000 on intake/exhaust/headers. Put the rest in a Roth IRA. Take me later... :D

2.0 Nubira, 2.2 Leganza, or 2.0 from some old Pontiac Sunbirds will fit without too many mods. Just a set of new mounts that can be bought here. But if you have that much money to spend...just fully build your old 1.6 for a turbo application and enjoy 300 hp.
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

I have to dissagree with the build a 1.6 turbo for 300bhp.

Starting with a larger capacity engine is always a better maneouver.. You get more gains for the same amount of money as you would with a smaller engine usually.

I say, if you've that amount of money, go for a 2.0 or a 2.2 4 cylinder. If you want to go a bit mad, go for a 2.5 or 3.0 v6.

Put it this way. Running a turbo on a 1.6 at about 8 psi would give you coniderable gains, say the 1.6 was 90bhp to start with, running 8 psi and maybe a standalone to manage fueling, you'd be up about 130ishbhp, very rough estimate. Now, running 8 psi, with a standalone on a 2.0 or 2.2 16v, same turbo, same standalone, and you'd be up at about 180ish+bhp. I know the 2.0 has more bhp to start with, but when you go into porting the head etc, you will see so much more benefits from having the larger engine to start with.

Imho. Go for a 2.0/2.2. Drive your 1.6 while you build up the engine, depending on what you go for, high comp high power n/a build, or a low comp turbo'd/supercharged build.

Either way, i say, don't save and buy everything at once, i say save, and when you spot a part going cheap, buy it right away. Slowly build up the parts you need, putting it together as you go. The 2.0 and 2.2's dont need much modding to go into the lanos. For example, mr.g off the site has a c20let engine in his lanos, with an f28 box. Thats a 2.0 16v DOHC turbo engine from vauxhalls/opels, with a 6 speed gearbox rated for about 280foot pound of torque. Thats a PERFECT start, as the c20let can be tune and modded quite easily for big gains.

The f28 6 speed box is quite expensive though, especially if your from the states as it didnt come in anything over there from what i know.
But with the amount of money you are gonna have, i say either go with the 2.0/2.2 daewoo engines, get forged internals, along with a good standalone engine management system and go for a turbo build. Or, if you can, get hold of a c20let and do the same.
SAZ
---------------------
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

I am from the states. washington to be specific. and I street race. I was told to try the c20let because it was a direct fit. I was also told to grab an engine out of a nubria and use that. I had a 2.0 engine going by my house for about $200 but didnt have the money right then. How much does a set of custom mounts go for? and how hard is the re-wire for the engine?
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

actually piro he couldnt do a bigger engine for the same price. he already has a 1.6 and all to make it run. he would have to buy a bigger engine. i say build the 1.6 like bosnian said. after you spank all of the local ricers you can really piss them off when you tell them its a 1.6

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

yeah i was hoping I might be able to keep the same engine. make a sleeper.... is it a lot of work to throw a turbo in that thing? I love the deep tone a daewoo makes and putting a new engine would take that sound away, I was thinking turbo and new exhaust system....
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

I didnt say he could get the bigger engine+ same mods for the same price, i said the same mods, on a bigger engine give you more gain usually.

Imho, i think if you're spending big money, start off with something big.
SAZ
---------------------
AntDX316
Junior

Post by AntDX316 »

Pir0 wrote:I have to dissagree with the build a 1.6 turbo for 300bhp.

Starting with a larger capacity engine is always a better maneouver.. You get more gains for the same amount of money as you would with a smaller engine usually.

I say, if you've that amount of money, go for a 2.0 or a 2.2 4 cylinder. If you want to go a bit mad, go for a 2.5 or 3.0 v6.

Put it this way. Running a turbo on a 1.6 at about 8 psi would give you coniderable gains, say the 1.6 was 90bhp to start with, running 8 psi and maybe a standalone to manage fueling, you'd be up about 130ishbhp, very rough estimate. Now, running 8 psi, with a standalone on a 2.0 or 2.2 16v, same turbo, same standalone, and you'd be up at about 180ish+bhp. I know the 2.0 has more bhp to start with, but when you go into porting the head etc, you will see so much more benefits from having the larger engine to start with.

Imho. Go for a 2.0/2.2. Drive your 1.6 while you build up the engine, depending on what you go for, high comp high power n/a build, or a low comp turbo'd/supercharged build.

Either way, i say, don't save and buy everything at once, i say save, and when you spot a part going cheap, buy it right away. Slowly build up the parts you need, putting it together as you go. The 2.0 and 2.2's dont need much modding to go into the lanos. For example, mr.g off the site has a c20let engine in his lanos, with an f28 box. Thats a 2.0 16v DOHC turbo engine from vauxhalls/opels, with a 6 speed gearbox rated for about 280foot pound of torque. Thats a PERFECT start, as the c20let can be tune and modded quite easily for big gains.

The f28 6 speed box is quite expensive though, especially if your from the states as it didnt come in anything over there from what i know.
But with the amount of money you are gonna have, i say either go with the 2.0/2.2 daewoo engines, get forged internals, along with a good standalone engine management system and go for a turbo build. Or, if you can, get hold of a c20let and do the same.
honda cars boosting with 6psi already do over 200hp with 1.6L and 1.8L

if he spends 6k on just making the car 300hp safetly it can happen

swapping a new stock engine for little to no gain for 6k would be doing it just to do it which would be a waste of money
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

I know hondas make that type of power. But this isnt a honda. It's a Daewoo. I'm talking realistically here. And how will it cost 6k to swap to a 2.0?
You're also forgetting honda 1.6 16v vtec's are already pushing out quite high numbers. Like, the 1.6 vti's are something like 168bhp.. C'mon like, ofc 6psi's gonna get that around 200bhp. And do i even need to say about the 1.8?

I swapped to a 2.0 8v in my nexia for about 300 quid, $600.

I never said that with 6k he couldnt make 300hp from his 1.6 16v. But it just can't see the logic when he can afford a bigger engine and still have enough to turbo it. 6k's a lotta money. How much can yopu pick up a 2.0 16v daewoo engine for? Or even the 2.2 16v?

I know getting a redtop or c20let over there would cost a small fortune, but the daewoo engines are readily available, no?

He's got all summer to source one. Even so, say 1k for the engine, that still leave 5k to spend building a safe and high bhp engine. 5k for things like, forged pistons and steel rods. there goes 1.5/2k. After that he's gonna need a manifold and turbo, that manifold will obviously have to be custom and is gonna cost a few quid. he'll probably still have about 2k left over for the rest of the stuff, intercooler, boost pipes, oil lines, boost controller, wastegate if it's external. It'd be a push but as i said, he has all sumemr to source parts, he doesnt need to jump in in the deep end and buy the first thing he sees for double the price he might pay if he waited another week or two.

Look, i was just throwing options out there, in my 'opinion' going for a bigger engine first is the wiser move. Just because he'll have 6k at the end of summer, doesnt mean he's never gonna earn anything ever again does it? He's obviously gonna have some money here and there afterward. And buying the bigger engine to start with is somewhat of an investment. Futureproofing himself.
SAZ
---------------------
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

some lady was trying to sell me a totaled nubira for $300 a month ago. bent frame, hit from the back. engine was in great shape. should have got it. how hard is it to make engine mounts? better to let someone else make them for me??
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Not that hard. I think the one on your chassis leg is fine, the rubber bit, you just need the bit that goes from that to the front of the block. My friend makes them out of tin which is about .6/.7mm thick. Bends it, welds the inside corner then welds strengthening bits to it. They work fine and dont cost him that much money.
SAZ
---------------------
jak4calibrah

Post by jak4calibrah »

i'd like to add if you decide to go for an c20let but can't find a F28 then look for an F20(which comes off a c20xe usually) and if u can't find that then look for a F18 but that has shorter ratios, which u might not like. so if theirs no F28 go for F20 oh and u need a blanking plate for that which u can get off ebay, gd luck
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Blanking plate for the f28 yeah? Not for the f20 unless you get a rare 4x4 one. I'm pretty sure they exist over here in europe but are extremely rare. The LET will fit right onto his gearbox anyway. It's only rated for 160ft lbs of torque, but Ive seen c20lets run on f16s for years if they're noa bused. If you wanna do hard launches etc then go for the f18 or f20. Also, i think there's some f18s that have longer ratios than an f20. Depending on what type you get. However, which ever one you go for, it'll still be rated for 180/200-ish ft lbs of torque for the f18/f20 respectivly.

The c20xe, and the daewoo engines will also fit right onto your gearbox. Just, depending on the power you're looking, it might be best to upgrade it to handle the torque..

Don't mean anything by this, but unless you come across an XE or LET cheap as chips, i seriously doubt you'll get one, so i'd focus my sights on a daewoo 2.0 or something similar, maybe an ecotec 2.0 [x20 or z20 engines]. But obviously the z20 engines are gonna be a small fortune and the x20's arent as nippy as the c20's outta the tin due to the smaller ports on the head and emissions standards it has to abide by.
SAZ
---------------------