switching from regular to synthetic oil

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

switching from regular to synthetic oil

Post by MMamdouh »

hi guys

i am challanged with a question on a local car forum where their is a debate concerning the switch from regular to synthetic oil

the subject car is a '99 lanos with a 1.5 SOHC and i am not sure how many miles on it but i recon it is withinn 50 to 60 thousand miles... the guy was using regular oil and was asking if it is ok to switch to synthetic... is their a problem if he did so?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

no problem, its just gonna be better for the car.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
jak4calibrah

Post by jak4calibrah »

their is no problem and it is better for the engine but if you have any oil leaks it will make them worse.
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Am I correct in thinking that once you have switched to synthetic, you shouldn't switch back to conventional? That's the way I've always believed it to be.

But synthetic is good for most newer engines. Lower temperatures, better resistance to frothing and shearing, better lubrication, and slightly better performance.

And in times like this... better MPG!
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

yeah once you go sunthetic you shoulnt go back

MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

daewoomofo wrote:yeah once you go sunthetic you shoulnt go back
why?

MMamdouh
AntDX316
Junior

Post by AntDX316 »

someone told me its best to use synthetic blend first when coming from regular oil or it will gel
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i honestly dont know why. its not that conventional oil will turn to gel, because if it did you couldnt do a syn/conv blend. im not even sure if its true or not i just know thats what i have ALWAYS bnne told, i never went back to conv in my woo, i dont want to risk it.

jak4calibrah

Post by jak4calibrah »

yeh i don't think theirs a real reason for not going back i mean it's not like your changing oil to wd-40 and back but the only thing i'd be conserend about is the seals it can't be good for them to get mix from going back and forth and i also once heard about the big end bearings getting use to one type of oil but i can't remember.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

wow news to me, good find MMamdouh

Turtle_Wax
Junior

Post by Turtle_Wax »

That's a similar example for using an engine flushing agent. I've always been told that if the engine is well maintained with regular oil changes then it's ok to use a flush before changing the oil. However, if it's not had regular changes then don't use a flush as it may loosen the crud with no guarantee it will come out the drain plug and may block vital oilways. It's sometimes best to leave the hardened clumps of shite stuck to the corners of the engine out of harms way.
trunkmonkey108

Re: switching from regular to synthetic oil

Post by trunkmonkey108 »

what i've read over the years about syn to regular oil switching is just that the synthetics don't have the same chemistry that keeps the seals swelled, so switching to a synthetic can worsen leakage past a worn seal as another post warned. that said, the guys who make the synthetics have probably been working on this over the years and i haven't heard whether it's still a consideration. if so, you could run a regular oil for a change every once in a while or add a bit of seal-swelling type stop-leak. other than that nothing weird should happen from switching back and forth as you please.
wolfsreign
Expert

Re:

Post by wolfsreign »

Turtle_Wax wrote:That's a similar example for using an engine flushing agent. I've always been told that if the engine is well maintained with regular oil changes then it's ok to use a flush before changing the oil. However, if it's not had regular changes then don't use a flush as it may loosen the crud with no guarantee it will come out the drain plug and may block vital oilways. It's sometimes best to leave the hardened clumps of shite stuck to the corners of the engine out of harms way.
supposedly.. here in cali, usa.. jiffylube and someother places will recommend an inside engine cleaner, like the carbon build-up stripper stuff, well anyway supposedly they would recommend it after doing the oil change to all the cars needless to say most cars have well over 50k since warrenty, and have never seen a engine cleaner, and well supposedly it clogs their shit and blows the motor apart. lol?
so jiffylube gets lots of poor reviews. also i really wonder if they use good, clean oil.. @.@
or if its even synthetic?

and most likely the new gaskets and or seals are mainly for synthetic?
like back in the day you try to clean off a rubber seal with gas, it basically molests the rubber and ur seal is gone..
~wolf
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
Fltofancy

Re: switching from regular to synthetic oil

Post by Fltofancy »

Here's my experience. I switched to synthetic blend (Kendall) soon after buying my 2001 Lanos. Two months after the first oil change I was on my way to work that morning and my oil light came on about two miles down the road. I immediatley shut off the engine and pulled over, checked the oil level (full), and then nursed it back home. I thought it was a collapsed oil filter, had that happen one time before. I eased it to the garage that had done the oil change as soon as they opened. They replaced the filter, no good, light came on as soon as I pulled out of the parking lot. I took it back straight away. At my request they pulled the oil pressure switch to test it and to make sure the engine was in fact making oil pressure. They found the switch and the passageway to the switch were clogged with thick dirty crud. They recommended an engine oil system flush. The flush cleaned out all the nasty stuff. Havent had any more oil pressure problems and the engine was clean like it should be when I pulled the head recently. Synthetic oil will definetly loosen up any crusty stuff in high mileage engines. And oil system flushes do work.
Fltofancy.