Nubira Just wont start from cold

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Marcos

Nubira Just wont start from cold

Post by Marcos »

Please someone throw me a lifeline before I go mad or bankrupt whichever comes soonest.

I have a 1999 Nubira 2.0 cdx Estate (wagon), that ran fine when I bought it despite finding out 3 days later the head gasket had gone.

Had the gasket changed, the head was skimmed, water pump, timing belt etc paid a fortune and got the car back.

Now despite all this and several returns to the garage the car simply will not start from cold.
The engine turns fine but it just wont fire!

On the rare chance I can get it to fire after a full battery recharge it runs fine.
It will start fine for up to an hour or so later. But if that engine gets cold it refuses to start and I'm back to square one.

Diagnostics reveal no faults.

Can anyone offer advice please?

Marc
jak4calibrah

Post by jak4calibrah »

do u have both fuel and spark while it's cranking?
Marcos

Post by Marcos »

Yes both fuel and spark are present.

It can take about 5-10 minutes to eventually start it and that's if the battery doesn't need a recharge in between.

It's almost like the continual cranking eventually gets the engine warm and it will fire and run.

Once it has run for a few minutes, I can turn it off and restart it again no problem but only whilst the engine is warm.

The mechanic who changed the head etc just couldn't get it to start either so was returned to me in this state.
jak4calibrah

Post by jak4calibrah »

well if the engine was fine before that in terms of starting then i'd take it back to him, but if you have to do it then my guess would be the cts, it's probably overfulling, change that theirs pretty cheap neways.
gd luck
gb2615

Post by gb2615 »

Hi Marcos
I am not sure how long you have had the car but when the car is running, especially when you are driving, does the car seem the same as it was before you put it into the garage?
Does it sound the same and does it have as much power as before?
Does it seem to have as much power going up hills etc?

Regards
GB
Lanos - Lots of engineering packed into one little space

Lanos SX 1.6lt DOHC 5spd 09/1997 220kms - No Mods
Marcos

Post by Marcos »

jak4calibrah wrote:well if the engine was fine before that in terms of starting then i'd take it back to him, but if you have to do it then my guess would be the cts, it's probably overfulling, change that theirs pretty cheap neways.
gd luck
Thanks Jak, I will certainly check out the Coolant Temperature Sensor as soon as the rain stops :)

Marc
Marcos

Post by Marcos »

gb2615 wrote:Hi Marcos
I am not sure how long you have had the car but when the car is running, especially when you are driving, does the car seem the same as it was before you put it into the garage?
Does it sound the same and does it have as much power as before?
Does it seem to have as much power going up hills etc?

Regards
GB
Hi GB sadly it has had to stand for a few months now but when it did fire eventually it ran and pulled ok.
The car was purchased with supposedly low mileage but the mechanic thinks it's a replacement engine due to the wear he can see. He changed the cam belt and the water pump also.

I think I was ripped off by the seller to be honest as the head went just a week later after purchase not to mention the apparent state of the brake hoses which I will also need to change. :(

Marc :(
AntDX316
Junior

Post by AntDX316 »

try replacing ur spark plugs with bosch 4+ or denso iridium also buy spark plug wires for ur car
jak4calibrah

Post by jak4calibrah »

sorry antDX316 but, bosch 4's are shit don't get em
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

I've experienced that too...NGK V-Power at like $2 a pop are some of the best for our engine.
AntDX316
Junior

Post by AntDX316 »

jak4calibrah wrote:sorry antDX316 but, bosch 4's are shit don't get em
the bosch made my car sound louder than with my denso iridiums