NOS in the WOO

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

turbo can be added to any car.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

with the right amount of money of course

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
Jesse18873

Post by Jesse18873 »

Well I'm going turbo and then Nos. Where and how do I begin to look for a turbo that can fit my car? Does anything have to be machined or altered? I have another Leganza in the backyard that I use for parts and it still has a complete engine in it. I can work on those parts and then install them instead of having my only car off the streets for a while.
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

A good place to start is to have the "spare" conrods and pistons machined - I took 1.5mm off the top of my Daewoo 2.0L pistons, and had the conrods machined 1mm. This together with an OPEL OPC steel headgasket works nicely for drivabillity when the car is not in boost, and allows for 0.9bar boost on 95 octane pump fuel without detonation and breaking stuff.

One could stay with the standard compression and just do a "BOLT ON" with low boost, but in hindsight you will always wish you had dropped the compression for MORE BOOST LOL!

Also if this is your everyday drive I would recommend an OIL COOLER - the oil temp goes quite high without one when you add a turbo. Then off course all the other stuff needed to do the turbo conversion.
Nothing is impossible....it just costs more!!!!\

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

368KW/611Nm on wheels @ 2.4bar
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Decreasing the compression is of course the best way to help avoid engine problems but it is possible to run 0.9 bar (13 psi) on the stock internals if the job is done very carefully.

That is to say that you would need the precise control over the boost, fuel, ignition timing that comes from really decent piggyback or standalone engine management system.

Now, your big drawback will be the requirement for high octane fuel.

If your running 100 Octane fuel (which can be made with premium gas + additives ) then you should be able to run high boost with high compression.

Don't get me wrong, you won't need high octane all the time.... you only need it when you want to run higher boost levels.

What I would suggest is a separate fuel cell.

Basicly when your car is running low boost ( 4psi ) you simply run premium gasoline ( say 91 to 93 Octane )

Then when you put the pedal to the mat your Nitrous system kicks in an starts to dump high octane fuel from a separate fuel cell (gas tank) which can be mounted in your trunk.

So the only time your boost rises is when Nitrous is used (which decreases the air intake temperature) and your dumping in high octane fuel.

You would probably make 160hp (crank) with low boost (4psi) and then with higher boost levels ( say 8psi ) plus a 25 shot of Nitrous you would end up around 250hp to 275hp (at the crank )
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Jesse18873

Post by Jesse18873 »

I thank everybody who is helping me with this project. So the rods and pistons. And will this all fit under the hood? Tomorrow i'll try to find a place around town that does performance parts. I told the guys today at work about my project and they just laughed. :badgrin:
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Lol you'll get that. Let them laugh :p
SAZ
---------------------
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

Pir0 wrote:Lol you'll get that. Let them laugh :p
+1 :roll:

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Jesse18873

Post by Jesse18873 »

Ok. So where do you recommend looking for a turbo?
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

On a manifold infront of the head.

LOL, j/k, i've no idea where you would start to shop around for a turbo. Precision boost or one of the other more technical guys that have had experience will probably know
SAZ
---------------------
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

For a turbo try looking for wrecked wrx subarus or wrecked mitsubishi eclipses/evos in the junk yards with low miles. Pull one off of there and use it. You could probably also use the intercooler from the evo? Ebay is another place but it's hard to pick between truly good turbos and the crap ones.

Jimmy
Jesse18873

Post by Jesse18873 »

HaHa, lol. Ok, well there's alot of junk yards around here so that sounds like a plan. And even if they how many miles is concidered low on a turbo? Can I tell it's in good shape by just looking at it? And does it matter what kind of turbo it is??
Jesse18873

Post by Jesse18873 »

Oh, and what year model on those cars??
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

You might run into some issues trying to find a turbo at a junkyard. Wrecked EVOs, Eclipes, and WRXs are generally worth too much money to be simply junked (ESPECIALLY the ones with "low" miles, so the insurance company pays out the "Totaled" check and then either parts out or sells the car to a recycler to recoup some of the cost. You may be able to run into some old Dodges and Chryslers that were turbo-equipped at the junkyard, but either their turbos were the first things removed or they're pretty damaged and you'd experience a lot of shaft play. You may be able to get them rebuilt, but then the cost of a used turbo doesn't seem worth it. I actually think that in all my junkyarding, I've never seen a useable turbo except once, when I saw a decent model in a parts bin where people put parts that cost too much.

Your best bets would be to scour eBay, and set up a return policy with the seller IN WRITING, or get in touch with your local car clubs or local car forums to see if anyone has a turbo for sale, that way you can see it before the purchase is made.
Jesse18873

Post by Jesse18873 »

Thanks for the info.