what's the deal with the lanos metal thermostat housing?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

azazel19
Junior

what's the deal with the lanos metal thermostat housing?

Post by azazel19 »

Ok I have a 2000 lanos 1.6 it had a leaky thermostat seal so I looked a napa and got a thermostat and an 0 ring. First off the o ring listed there is way too big. Then the gasket on the stock thermostat crumbled when I tried to take it off. Went to advanced and the guy was really helpful found something that looked like it would work but was too big and wouldn't fit in the housing. What's the trick can't find any parts listed besides a thermostat. It looks like I might have to switch over to the plastic housing but then the car will be out of comission for a week or so. Thanks/
"mess with the best die like the rest"
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

just use rtv sislicone. that stuff is worth its weight in gold!

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

just be glad you have a metal one. i would kill for one. wanna trade? i'll send it next day. :D

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
azazel19
Junior

housing

Post by azazel19 »

I may try the rtv for the thermostat side of things not sure if it will work since the gasket is supposed to take up some room on the outside lip of the thermostat by itself it just kind of moves around in the housing as for the head side of things I have to round up a gasket it's not an o-ring it's flat found a few on ebay also gm-car-parts.com has them but I still don't understand why you can't find specific gaskets and what not for the metal housing is it that hard to come by I find the plastic ones all over the net. The metal one does me no good if I can't repair it when it's leaking. The leak wasn't coming from the head side it was between the two parts where the thermostat was.
Spider
Expert

Re: housing

Post by Spider »

azazel19 wrote:I may try the rtv for the thermostat side of things not sure if it will work since the gasket is supposed to take up some room on the outside lip of the thermostat by itself it just kind of moves around in the housing as for the head side of things I have to round up a gasket it's not an o-ring it's flat found a few on ebay also gm-car-parts.com has them but I still don't understand why you can't find specific gaskets and what not for the metal housing is it that hard to come by I find the plastic ones all over the net. The metal one does me no good if I can't repair it when it's leaking. The leak wasn't coming from the head side it was between the two parts where the thermostat was.
As far as sealing goes, the plastic ones are fine and they won't leak.
The negative thing about them is that after (maybe) 40-50K miles they tend to fall apart.
Not all do but if and when it happens you will know it. :shock:
Escaping water in the form of a cloud steam !
Some people carry a spare and and a gallon of distilled water.
With the right sized box-end wrench or socket?
It can be changed out along side the road in 15 minutes.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
KING_3

Post by KING_3 »

i say to you, using silicone won't work. I've tried it :)
don't you have surplus shops there
here in the phlippines you can buy the whole housing or the thermostat itself with the O-ring attached. the O-ring has some minor cracks but still usable

How much are those plastic housings that you have there?
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

I have to disagree. While i have seen it not working, it has worked a few times for people I know. So saying it won't work isnt right.

eg. It didnt work on my best friends car but it did on the mechanic's car that we know. [It was the mechanics idea to use it on my friends, cause his worked he thought ours would.. it didnt.]
SAZ
---------------------
azazel19
Junior

fixed

Post by azazel19 »

finally got it fixed. got an o-ring from the dealer and the ring seal for the thermostat itself from ebay. you can't dealers can't get them anymore from what they told me the seal was done away with when the plastic housings came out. the part number for the ringseal is 90096383.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... IBSA:MT:11
Spider
Expert

Re: fixed

Post by Spider »

azazel19 wrote:finally got it fixed. got an o-ring from the dealer and the ring seal for the thermostat itself from ebay. you can't dealers can't get them anymore from what they told me the seal was done away with when the plastic housings came out. the part number for the ringseal is 90096383.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... IBSA:MT:11
"........they told me the seal was done away with when the plastic housings came out."

Yeah, that makes sense! As you know the plastic ones have the thermostat sealed inside them.
Glad to hear you found what you needed.

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Pir0 wrote:I have to disagree. While i have seen it not working, it has worked a few times for people I know. So saying it won't work isnt right.

eg. It didnt work on my best friends car but it did on the mechanic's car that we know. [It was the mechanics idea to use it on my friends, cause his worked he thought ours would.. it didnt.]
:lol: Piro ? Would you agree with this statement?:

"Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't !"

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

- -- Thomas Edison
TxDAEWOOxT
Expert

Re: housing

Post by TxDAEWOOxT »

Spider wrote:
azazel19 wrote:I may try the rtv for the thermostat side of things not sure if it will work since the gasket is supposed to take up some room on the outside lip of the thermostat by itself it just kind of moves around in the housing as for the head side of things I have to round up a gasket it's not an o-ring it's flat found a few on ebay also gm-car-parts.com has them but I still don't understand why you can't find specific gaskets and what not for the metal housing is it that hard to come by I find the plastic ones all over the net. The metal one does me no good if I can't repair it when it's leaking. The leak wasn't coming from the head side it was between the two parts where the thermostat was.
As far as sealing goes, the plastic ones are fine and they won't leak.
The negative thing about them is that after (maybe) 40-50K miles they tend to fall apart.
Not all do but if and when it happens you will know it. :shock:
Escaping water in the form of a cloud steam !
Some people carry a spare and and a gallon of distilled water.
With the right sized box-end wrench or socket?
It can be changed out along side the road in 15 minutes.
Carry one with you!!
2001 Lanos 1.6
--1.25 Eibach Pro kit
--2 1/4 Pro 1 catback
--custom intake (short ram)
--port and polished head
--port and polished TB
--port and polished intake manifold
--Kenwood head
--Pioneer noise
http://www.myspace.com/txhtownxt