Thermostat leaking I think.

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

azazel19
Junior

Thermostat leaking I think.

Post by azazel19 »

Noticed that my woo is leaking fluid since its been sitting waiting on some parts. Looked today and it's coming from the thermostat housing. I's coming from the bottom can't tell if the seal is bad or if the housing is going bad. Before I pull it how does this thing seal do you have to use silicone or is there a gasket for it didn't see a seal on the gm-car-parts site. Also I have the metal housing which is supposed to be good I gathered. Thanks.
"mess with the best die like the rest"
Spider
Expert

Re: Thermostat leaking I think.

Post by Spider »

azazel19 wrote:Noticed that my woo is leaking fluid since its been sitting waiting on some parts. Looked today and it's coming from the thermostat housing. I's coming from the bottom can't tell if the seal is bad or if the housing is going bad. Before I pull it how does this thing seal do you have to use silicone or is there a gasket for it didn't see a seal on the gm-car-parts site. Also I have the metal housing which is supposed to be good I gathered. Thanks.
Silicone won't work,

Its probably the big '0 ring' thats leaking thats what seals the thermostat housing to the engine. If you have a metal housing and your engine is running in the correct temperature range. Than everything is probably ok. Except for the leak.
The thermostat is built into the plastic ones so the whole thing has to be replaced if it goes bad.
I don't know if this is true with the metal ones.

I would remove it and look it over, especially the o-ring, if it looks ok clean it up and smear some 'white-grease' on both sides of the ring and reinstall the unit.
Replace the 0-ring if its squashed or torn. Hope you can find one if thats all it needs. Maybe dealer ?

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

On my 2.0 engine it's got a cast housing, and the thermostats seperate.

Not sure if it's the same with daewoo engines as far as the metal housings go.

ALl i'm gonna say is be very careful with those bolts. Dunno how many times i've seen them snap. [Mine snapped]
SAZ
---------------------
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i have to disagree with spider. i used rtv silicone on my metal thermostat housing on my 1.6 and it worked great. but there is a o ring like he said. they are cheap and easy to replace so it would be a good idea to do that.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Silicone :smt023

Can't beat it
SAZ
---------------------
Spider
Expert

Silicone on O rings ? or used as an O ring replacement ?

Post by Spider »

Ok I should have elobrated,

If the housing is designed to have an O ring seal like the Daewoo lanos 1.6 is and the 0 ring is crushed or leaking the only real fix is a new one.
If the old O ring is not in bad shape white grease is a cheap fix.
New one is better and in my experience, a new one with white grease is the best.
I am not 'anti-silicone' it is great stuff but depending on the job, not always the right stuff .

~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

Spider.....the anti-silicone!!!!!!!!!!

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Shun the anti silicon-er!

:lol: j/k man
SAZ
---------------------
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

:lol:

very funny guys, :roll:

As far as this thread is going? I think were just "talkin to our hands" anyway.
I imagine that azazel19 is no longer reading this thread anymore.
He has a much larger problem with leaking oil. Guess I will click on that thread and see if he got it resolved.

~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

- -- Thomas Edison