Daewoo Nubira 2L Turbo from South Africa

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Nubaroo
Expert

Daewoo Nubira 2L Turbo from South Africa

Post by Nubaroo »

Hi there my name is Hannes and I live in sunny South Africa. There are very few Daewoo cars here and after I bought mine I decided to spice it up a little :badgrin: First when the car was dead standard some idiot with an LDV side swiped my car and it looked like this:

I had the car repaired and decided to add a freeflow 58MM exhaust system with TNT branches and a piggy back computer. This raised the car`s power from 93KW standard to 99KW - a waste of R 6000 I would say?? I then opted for a DRY NOS kit - this raised the power to 146KW - another R 4000 well spent??

I went to the races one night and ran a 16.00 second 1/4 mile with the NOS. I also won some free stickers to be fitted on my car

Eventually got tired of the NOS and started my turbo conversion - 0.3 bar boost with the motor in standard form making 168KW and 297NM on the motor:

I then gradually changed bits and pieces over the last 3 or so years and now are running standard internals ( machined to drop compression) 0.9bar boost (12PSI) and the car is making 195KW and324NM torque on the wheels :badgrin:

Here i fitted an even bigger intercooler :evil:

Here I had the front bumper redone to incorporate the bigger cooler, had the bonet vents done nicely etc etc.

Here are some older vids of my car in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYVcXb2JnQk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wIKqh2uoq0

I am planning to upgrade to forged internals ( already got some forged chrome molly conrods and ARP bolts good for 600BHP) and run 20PSI boost...! Will post more stuff as the progress on the car continues.
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

super nice project man and excellent numbers, all internals? amazing.
ImageImage
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

Yes standard internals with the conrods machined 1mm and the top of the pistons 1.5MM. This drops the compression nicely and I am running 0.8bar boost with 95 octane pump fuel and an Opel OPC steel head gasket.

I have already bought these and will be adding them soon with some forged pistons as well
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Just saw this thread, I can't believe its been through so many different setups, both for the motor and exterior. Keep us updated!
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Nubaroo
Expert

Nubaroo new VIDS

Post by Nubaroo »

Just some recent vids of my car in action...

130km/h to +- 230km/h on a slight uphill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2dOuts0uiw

Smoking......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cmIDDzZV_M

Drive by - battling with traction in first gear....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqeEJWJmxGc

?????????????????????????
Nothing is impossible....it just costs more!!!!\

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

368KW/611Nm on wheels @ 2.4bar
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

Sorry the above was a slow driveby.

Herewith the faster one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osmRkFqhoj0

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

hahha very nice. I like the speedo one the best :)
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
wolfhound
Junior

Post by wolfhound »

Howzit Hannes

bru, where did you get your front bumper done ?

I am looking for a place to re-do my Lanos one as i had to cut the inside of it out to clear the intercooler so it's basically just a shell now.

Heard good reports about Big Boss and with there not really being any place in Durban to use, it looks like i will have to head up to JHB to get a decent job done.

Well done on the impressive Woo.

ps, 2.5mm on rods and pistons, thats quite a big drop, i dropped the Lanos 1.5mm on the rods then tried to run it with a 1.25mm spacer as well, ended up with 7.5-1 compression, it was a dog until it came on boost. Much better once i stuck in the Wisecos and the compression was 8.8-1.

Sean in Durban
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
Pirelli 215/35 P Zero Nero tyres
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

Hi Wolfhound.

I had my front bumper done by - Exotic Autobody here in Benoni. They did the bumper, moulded the bonnet vents, resprayed the front fenders ( they took a beating with all the hours spent on the motor LOL ) and mirrors. ALL THIS COST ME LESS THAN WHAT BIG BOSS AUTO QUOTED ME TO DO ONLY MY FRONT BUMPER!!!!!???? :shock: Needless to say I wont` be using BIG BOSS AUTO ever!

The project took them 4 weeks to complete after they quoted me 2 weeks, but I did get them to add a few alterations on the bumper and vents after they started working - well worth the wait.

They also have some fast cars that they race with - 2 x VW beatle rotary turbo, Ford Focus ST, Mazda 3 Turbo, Mazda MX5 all done by themselves. They really know their stuff.

Maybe worth your while driving it up and leaving it with them for a few weeks. They prefer for the customer not to leave their keys (on performance cars ) so you know nobody is going to joyride ur car. :D

Have you posted some pics of your car???? I would like to see if posssible

wolfhound
Junior

Post by wolfhound »

Last edited by wolfhound on Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
wolfhound
Junior

Post by wolfhound »

Check it out under the turbo section. will look for the link and pop it on here.

Sean
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

Really nice setup - just 1 x thing I would recommend....the air filter seems to be situated fairly low.

I had mine positioned in the same place and being "low" had disasterous consequences - one day after a cloudburst I hit a BIG puddle of water, big splash from the side of the car, this found its way to the "low" mounted air filter, the turbo turned into a water pump...LOL, filled the boost pipes and eventually the cylinders with water and the engine stalled.

When I tried to restart the car - KA FU@%ING BOOM!!!! - result was 1 x broken conrod, 1 x bent conrod, 2 x fubar pistons, 1 x damaged engine sleeve, 1 x lamda sensor, 1 x starter motor!!

I rebuilt the motor - this time I machined the rods 1mm, and the piston tops 1.5mm(these pistons are sort of hollow on top so the 1.5mm does not make that a big difference). I left the filter in the same place.....3 months later I hit another puddle and fotunately this time the small amount of water through the system only took out my Lamda sensor. Eventually about 6 months later my No3 piston gave up - I think the piston took a knock from the water....

After this I relocated the battery to he boot and routed the air filter higher to take the place of the battery. Since then I have been through BIG puddles with no problems.

Have you had any issues with your turbo branch developing cracks - I have had 3 x branches built already by 3 x different suppliers and all of them seem to eventually crack???

Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

When I tried to restart the car - KA FU@%ING BOOM!!!! - result was 1 x broken conrod, 1 x bent conrod, 2 x fubar pistons, 1 x damaged engine sleeve, 1 x lamda sensor, 1 x starter motor!!

Phew. So that puddle owes you about 1000 gbp?

That's mad.
SAZ
---------------------
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

yep - all part of the learning curve I suppose LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

I still move the filter down to the turbo on racedays - it picks up nice COOL air unlike at the top when it picks up the heat from the engine bay. Then even before driving home I put it BACK WHERE IT IS SAFE LOL

Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Nubaroo wrote:I put it BACK WHERE IT IS SAFE LOL
I bet you do :lol:

So would i :p Do you run a filter low down or basically a pipe leading up to a cone/panel filter in the engine bay?
And if it gets warm air up there, make a heat shield? Thinking of doing this if i even get rid of my panel filter and go for a cone type filter of some sort
SAZ
---------------------