question about amp wireing...

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

raitz87
Junior

question about amp wireing...

Post by raitz87 »

i wanna ask where i shoud lead the wire from my battery to may amp. any suggetions like door side or like somewhere else? and the radio wire where you suggest?

Raivo
PoTsUrFrIeNd

Post by PoTsUrFrIeNd »

I do not know if the lanos is the same as my aveo but...if you are planning to have anything larger than a 10 gage wire you do not want it running through your door jam. In my car there is a Huge rubber grommet in the firewall that is Perfect for running wires, If you are looking from the passenger foot well, look up about 6 inches or so from where the well goes vertical and about 2 inches from the heater assembly and you will find a Huge grommet (not sure on the measurements) but it is easy to find. All of my wiring goes through there.

I also install stereos and equipment as a hobby so I can tell you that running it through your door is a very bad idea. Drill a hole through your firewall before you do that!

Let me know if you need anymore help!
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

run the power cable down the opposite side to where your cars wiring harness is. In my leganza i run the power cable down the right side of the car where there are no cables that can be interfered with because of it and my rca's down the left side. I know in australia it is illegal to drill through the fire wall, i just ran the power cable (4 guage) through the gromett that the wiring harness runs through
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
raitz87
Junior

Post by raitz87 »

i wanted to know where ise the opening in cars front Thing(the thing, what has teh cages and radio in it) waching it from engine side.... i never wanted to put it throug a door or sth. like that. and i dont want to run the wire in a doorwell because it is too big (50mm2or bigger)
barry

Post by barry »

i was looking at that grommet, but how do you access the hole from the interior in a lanos?

and is there any reason why i just can't tap into a line coming out of the interior fusebox using a line for an option not on the car? for example, according to the manual, F4 is for power to the power door locks (which aren't installed in this lanos). i was thinking i could splice into that line coming out of the fusebox. i noticed though, that the line coming out of F4 is significantly thicker than wires coming out of the other slots.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

if your gonna use a amp that has ANY power out put at all the stock wires will be too small. what i did on my woo's is i ran a 0awg through the wire grommet on the very left side of the fire wall. its the same grommet that the stock enging harnes goes through. i cut a small slit in it with a razor knife and used a metal coat hanger to poke through, i taped my wire to the hanger about 5-6 inches up from the end i poked through. once i had a couple inches through i went inside the car where i already had the kick pannel removed and the carpet pulled back from the corner that i was running the wire through. i had to reach my hand way the f_ck up behind the dash board where i felt the coat hanger pokeing througn. i pulled it thourgh till i had the wire inside the car, i untaped the wire from the hanger, i pulled the hanger back out from the way it went inside and pulled my power wire in the car. total it takes about 15 min if you havenet done it before, but ive ran about 4 different wire setups on my car so it takes me about 5 min to do that all.
thats how i had the 0awg wire going through on the red woo, now with the silver woo i only have a 8 awg wire since i cut my stereo by more than half.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
barry

Post by barry »

ah. it didn't occur to stick a hole in the grommet, i thought i'd have to yank it out and figure out how to squeeze another wire in with the bundle and tap the baby back in....

i'm only going to power a relatively efficient single 8" with an old kenwood mono amp, which i'm thinking of putting underneath the driver's seat - relatively short distance to that interior fuse box. my thinking is the power lock fuse is a 15 amp fuse and it seems to me that if it needs a 15 amp fuse, that much amperage is reaching the fusebox, and 8-12 gauge is more than adequate for a distance of less than 3 ft from the fusebox to the amp...
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

but there isnt a whole lot of power left in the fuse pannel. lets say you have 60 maps going to the fuse pannel. the dash lights take 10, the radio and accesorys take 15, the heat takes 20, the guages take 10 10+15+20+10=55 amps. that would only leave you 5 amps for the stereo system. if your like me, you always have the stereo on, so thats a constant power draw when your in the car. the smaller wire is ok for short use (power windows rolling down, powerlocks being used, etc) but a constant draw will burn the wire up fairly fast. trust me its easier and cheaper to run the proper amp wire kit and not have to worry about burning your entire wire harness. you can get an 8 awg kit from meijers for like $17, it has the power wire, ground wire, inline fuse, a set of rca cables, and the blue remote turn on wire to go from the head unit to the amp. well worth it in my opinion. and like i said its easy to get the wire inside the car.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

Definately do what Daewoomofo suggested. Using the small factory wires can cause them to overheat and melt the plastic coating off of them. Then you have a potential fire hazard...although fuses should take care of it...it would be a pain to find and fix that melted wire.

Jimmy