Project Super Swift

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

dmeech

Post by dmeech »

updates?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Tom (Gsiturbo) has been working on the wiring here and there... and I think some of the final mechanical work has been done.... coolant lines....oil feed and drain lines for the turbo..... there was a rush to get the engine mounting done as quick as possible but the rest of the project will happen fairly slowly over the winter.

Today Tom and I went to the autowreckers to pick up some sensors and bolts that were missing..... in this particular case they are using a naturally aspirated MPFI intake since it has a bigger throttlebody than the turbo version.

Tom has the info on what needs to be changed on the megasquirt to make it compatible with the C20GET sensors/ignition system.

I've been pretty busy so I haven't been over there to help on the wiring (which is the reason there hasn't been any updates or pictures)

One of these days I will get over there and see what I can help with.... and when that happens I will take some pictures.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
dmeech

Post by dmeech »

thanks for the update.
mr_g
Expert

Post by mr_g »

PrecisionBoost wrote:The 2.0L 8V accessory pully is identical to the 1.6L 16V (same belt style) but the 1.6L crank pulley is way different than the 2.0L 8V in mounting distance (thanks to the 1.6L 16V reluctor wheel built into the pully) so it would require a fair amount of modifications to make the 1.6L accessories work on the 2.0L 8V

At this point the project is going forward with the 2.0L 8V Power steering pump and no A/C
Use electrical power steering pump, found in opel zaphira, astra-g, astra-h, and many other cars...

You can place it anywhere, and just connect it to battery and +15V and wire from alternator... I have done it, and it's best choice... No worries about mounts...

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?c ... ering_pump
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

We've allredy looked at the astra electro-hydraulic PS pump and it is very likely that it will find it's way into project GSiTurbo... and possibly a few others.

I personally like the elctro-hydraulic setup because it means that there isn't a constant power drain

As for the 8V motor, it's very easy to simply use the stock pump setup, odds are the PS lines will have to be adjusted but other than that it's a simple install.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

It's ALIVE!!!!

Post by GsiTurbo »

As a first update in long time, today the motor started for the very first time. We had some problems with the Megasquirt, mainly due to the fact it was originally MS-I Spark'n'Extra configured to run Neon. Unit was converted to MS-II V3, and as always, it was Chris that found the last couple little problems with its electrical configuration. There are still a few problems to be solved, but I will post some photos and a video some time on Friday.

Tom

Post by daewoomofo »

nice

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
dmeech

Post by dmeech »

horay!, i was just about to post and ask what was the status on this project. I cant wait to see the pics.
greenbluewoo
Expert

Post by greenbluewoo »

any updates on this like photos or a video :D
2.0 engine swap in the works
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I think the owner has driven it around a bit here and there...... the Aveo instrument cluster uses an extreemly strange way of running the meter movements.... it has power on one side and grounds the other at a variable frequency to get the needle to move.

90% of meters simply use a DC voltage to move the needle.... this is the first one I've seen to use low frequency AC squarewave.

Needless to say.... it's going to take a bit to get the cluster to work..... should have gone with the stock ECU for certain functions such as the instrument cluster.... too late now..... standalone is up and running.

It primarily just needs some tuning..... runs very nicely..... damned coil plug was partly faulty..... the engine would barely run..... but after Tom unpluged the whole system and then plugged them all together again it worked great.

I think the last few hurdles are finished ( Idle air control, ignition timing ) and now it's just a matter of getting it out on the street to do a road tune and then onto a dyno for some pulls.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

The long awaited update on the Super Swift project.

The car has been up and running for a number of months now. I have not been part of it since the end of the wiring, initial configuration and the startup.

Setup:

Engine:
C20GET 2.0 8V Turbo
- full ARP bolt set (main, conrods, flywheel), cylinder head bolts are OE
- full port and polish of the cylinder head (performed by GsiTurbo)
- uprated valve springs (about 20% stiffer than stock)
- forged lightweight rocker arms
- OE lifters
- Sunbird N/A intake manifold (larger throttle body than Turbo - 2.25 o 2.5" vs 2.0" on turbo...also bigger fuel rail)
- polished and debeamed factory rods
- aftermarket C20GET pistons, ceramic coated with moly coated skirts
- Kinky Sport 6-puck ceramic clutch with 1200lbs pressure plate
- factory GET turbo manifold, ceramic coated
- 2" mandrel bent exhaust
- eBay T28RS ball-bearing "license" turbo with 10psi spring actuator
- 48lbs/hr injectors
- Walbro fuel pump
- MSD Blaster II coil
- Megasquirt 2 V3 stand alone engine management
- Greddy E-01 boost controller
- Innovate wideband with display
- Gauges: fuel pressure, EGT, Boost and engine temp (after finding the Swift's dashboard compatibility issue)
- custom suspension build entirely by our friend Alan, consisting of modified BMW coil springs and modified Tokico adjustable struts inserts/shocks.

The car runs like a dream...or, should I say, a big go-kart. Suspension is stiff, yet it does not feel like the car is driving on the cement springs. Dumpening is very well set, with little body roll. Alan, after spending numerous hours at his friend's wheel alignment machine, achieved completely neutral vehicle balance. On hard corners the Super Swift gets into this easily controlable and manageble side drift. The turbocharger's response is very much instantenous with very little turbo lag. The boost (set at 14psi) builds up in no time at all and is holding strong. The most complicated part of the project was the actual tuning. It tool Alan about 2 months to fully learn and understand the Megasquirt's system, but once that happened, the car is running absolutely flawlessly..no idle problems, no hot start problems, no hesitation and no knocking. Swift used to make about 500km on a full tank in the city driving...now with the turbo engine, is more about 360-370km. Alan is planning further off-load tuning to improve mileage while cruising.

The 2nd biggest obstacle, after tuning, were the gauges. Swift/Aveo dashboard will not completely work if the factory computer is removed (as in this case). The signals for the engine temp, rpm and fuel level are modified by the ECU and sent to the dashboard as a series of pulses (although inputs to the ECU are standard). As a result, these indicators will no longer work. The low fuel warning light is still operational.

Alan's Super Swift is faster than Mazdaspeed 6 from a rolling start, and slower on a standing start vs Mazdaspeed 3 (lack of traction for the first 2.5 gears)... after that it simply rolls! The car, on the other hand, corners like its on rails and is extremely fun at the auto-cross events, or in the twisty mountain roads.

At this point, Alan learned that aftermarket pistons simply crack at 18psi of boost....yes, the engine blew about 2 weeks ago and the car made it back to the city on 3 cylinders. Upon examination, the remaining 3 pistons were found to be cracked as well. New custom Wiseco forged pistons are on order and the car should be back on the road within next two weeks.

Enjoy!
Tom

Some videos...
Engine at idle

Run down some road at top secret location:

Versus Mazdaspeed 3 (Swift has 2 people)
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

To be fair the MS3 really hooked on 2nd gear as the LSD grabbed and chirped both tires hard (which is when it takes off in a hurry from the Aveo) but overall the Super Swift would kill the MS3 in any sort of situation other than a straight away ( trust me on that one )

As well.... I found that based upon my dyno numbers my stock MS3 is making significantly more power ( typically 5 whp 10lbft ) than most other stock MS3.... not sure why.... but I certainly won't complain.

The Super Swift is a very fast little car, only limit is of course traction which would be helped out by an LSD installation.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
mr_g
Expert

Post by mr_g »

Or traction control I wanted to make on my car...

It came out nicely...
mr_g
Expert

Post by mr_g »

Tell, what engine mount did you use? Did you manunfacture your mount or use from the other car?
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

The engine mount came from 1999 Nubira 2.0 16V. 100% bolt-on to the factory center engine mount on the chassis. This was, to our surprise, an easy part. Having said that, it means that any Opel 1.8/2.0 motor with the center mount will bolt right in.