Lost my T belt...

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

NubiraDellwoo

Lost my T belt...

Post by NubiraDellwoo »

It is said that these 2.0 dohc's usually eat the valves when the belt goes...

But hope that there might be some exceptions...

Anyhow... it broke in a parking lot going real slow... without any noises or warning...

2 weeks ago... the tensioner was coming loose and making a rattling noise... I pulled everything apart and retightened the tensioner...
just maybe... I tightened it too much... dunno...

So my questions are...

How do I know if the valves got damaged ? (Can it be known by turning the cams independantly and seeing if it is sticky ?)

Do I just reinstall a new belt and hope I got lucky ?

When aligning the crank to the cams... does any particular cylinder need to be set at TDC ?
(the fsm just refers to aligning it with the notch in the pully and the back of the timing cover ?)

Is it cheaper to try and find a used motor ?

I'm not sure if this car is worth the effort or money to fix 'er up...
Tho' I know I miss the thing when it goes to the junk yard...

Too bad... it was running real good... up until today :cry:

The real bummer is I just paid to have it smogged and the registration and insurance for 6 months...
And now it's a dead duck... grrr...

Oh it's a 2001 Nubira SE... 2.0 dohc
'01 Nubira SE 2.0
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

99% chance of bent valves, ive never heard of a woo breaking a t/b and not bending valves. the only way i can think of to check for bent valves is to yank the head off, you can prolly get a remaned head fairly cheap, or get a head from a engine that had lower half problems. its kinda a bad idea to jsut tighten a loose tensioner. its like putting a bucket to catch the water from a leaky pipe and calling it fixed. the better thing to do is to change the whole timeing belt system (belt, tensioner, idler and h20 pump) bummer yours broke, hope you can get it fixed so you keep the woo.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
NubiraDellwoo

Post by NubiraDellwoo »

Sorry to confuse... But the belt and tensioner and all the idler pulleys and h20 P were replaced immediately after I purchased the car... and it was done by a supposed Daewoo service center... Some Budget car rental place and the only place within 100 miles that will even service these things... the car had 79000 miles and I didn't know if the previous owner had done anything... so taking no chances I had someone else who was supposedly better qualified do the work...

Anyhow... 5000 miles later the tensioner comes loose... and I put a little more tension on it and retightened it... I followed the specs from the fsm...

Now either the belt or the tensioner pulley... had a catastrophic failure... I'll know more today as I pull shit apart...

I've already started the hunt for a used replacement motor... hope I can find one here in S. Calif...

If I can't find one or get a new head for $ 500. or less... then the car goes to to scrap yard... or maybe someone around here may want it... dunno
'01 Nubira SE 2.0
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

thats shitty bro, sorry to hear you got screwed on your car breaking down. if they supplied parts id take it back to the place and make them fix every thing since its a bad job on their part or they got substandard parts.

Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Yeah, as mofo mentioned. You may have some recourse with that shop/mechanic.
Also? Check your receipt and see if they replaced the water-pump?

If it still got the old one in it w/79k on the clock it could have froze up and caused the belt to do whatever it did.
Like snap or grind off a few teeth.

lots of options for you if you decide to keep the car.
You can fix it (head work, belt and ect.) or have it fixed by someone that has done a woo before and is reputable.
Or take your chances with a good used head or complete engine.
All are cheaper than a decent used car, that may even be in need of a t-belt soon. :roll:

Example: I bought a good used engine for $400, put new t-belt, tensioner and water-pump on it for (about) another hundred-thirty. (USD)
Did all the work myself. 12k miles later now and going strong. Like new. These woo's are good good!

Whatever you do?
Good luck,
And keep us posted.

:)
Last edited by Spider on Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
NubiraDellwoo

eh... no worries...

Post by NubiraDellwoo »

Today I got into things a bit...

In preperation to pull the head... I removed everything attached to it... and just pulled things back outta the way...

Removed the cams... and damn... there it is... two sucked valves...

Tomorrow I'll finish pulling the head to further inspect the damage valves and see if there is any damage to the seat or piston...

I do know one thing... if I had smaller hands... this would be a whole lot easier...

In talking with Gary Coats of Coats Daewoo/automotive out of Sacramento, CA.
He said there is still a chance that I can save the pos... He said that he has repaired many broken timing belt issues... and that there is a chance I may only have to replace the valves that are damaged... do a quick leakdown test... and if all is good... new gaskets everywhere and bolt 'er back up and it should be a go...

other then the bent valves... I'm hoping for the best...

I guess tomorrow will give me some idea as to whether or not I will get the 'woo back on the road... or not...

I also found a motor for $ 700. US... But think that is a little pricey for a car not worth the rubber it's rolling on...

I'll post a coupla' pics tomorrow... just so you all don't think I made this story up...
and proving... I am an acceptable mechanic... mostly 'cause I got no choice... ;)

allright... here's some pics...
I'm not really having fun btw... :smt073

Here's my broken pos... taking up space in the garage... :roll:

Image Image

Here's after the cam's were removed...

Image Image Image

Head removed...

it's obvious what is wrong here... ;)

Image Image Image

It's obvious 6 are bent... 4 exhaust, 2 intake...

If the others are bent... it don't look like it... But maybe I should replace all 8 on the drivers bank ?... whatcha think ?... I only see piston impact on the 6 though...
Last edited by NubiraDellwoo on Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
'01 Nubira SE 2.0
NubiraDellwoo

Bump for some pics... and a ?

Post by NubiraDellwoo »

I had a hell of a time removing the 3 bolts that hold the upper portion of the inner timing belt cover
(the only three that go thru the cover into the head)...
well actually just the upper center one... as the engine mount is in the way for any tool I know of... and these are the torx button head bolts... I ended up getting lucky and using an adjustable jaw plier and was able to get enough grip to unscrew that center one... kinda ruining it along the way... But I don't care...

and now my question...

There is no way I want to reuse those torx button head bolts...

So is there any reason I cannot just replace these with a standard metric bolt ?

I was worried that maybe they have to be a shallower bolt like the button head torx... as maybe they might interfere when the timing belt is back in place... But since it is all apart and the belt is broke... I can't be sure by looking at it...

If you know this answer... it would be appreciated...
'01 Nubira SE 2.0
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i wouldnt trust just any bolt. the head bolts are stretch bolts so you do need a complete set, you can prolly get them off of ebay.

Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

daewoomofo wrote:i wouldnt trust just any bolt. the head bolts are stretch bolts so you do need a complete set, you can prolly get them off of ebay.
MoFo... Yes, new head bolts are a 'must-do'.
And I 'think' he is referring to the bolts that hold the inner t-belt cover to the head (might be a little different than the Lanos)

NubiraDellwoo.. It's your call. If those bolts just hold the cover tight to the head you could probably use any (same grade/length) bolt head style.
But !
If there is the slightest chance a hex-head would interfere w/ the belt action or any other moving part ? Than use the factory style torx.
You should be able to get them at Daewoo dealer, NAPA or any nut & bolt shop.

Also,
Your just gonna replace the obviously bent valves? I am not you.
But!
If I were? I would do a complete head job (or have it done)
Yes, it will cost more money. Your engine has 80k plus now. With a (completely) rebuilt head and the strong bottom end these engines have? You would have peace of mind that your engine will be good to go for a very long time.
Again, your call on that.

Nice photos BTW

Keep us posted, your work will help others.

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
paul8488

Post by paul8488 »

Oh man you guys are scaring me! 130,000 kms on the original timing belt... I don't even want to drive home from work today! Answered my question from another thread... I can expect valve damage when (not if, it seems, but when!) the belt goes. Problem is most mechanics laugh at me when I ask them to pop the hood on my Daewoo...
NubiraDellwoo

Aren't these a purdy thing...

Post by NubiraDellwoo »

Well here's the 4 intake and 2 exhaust vlave that need a little straightening...

Installed the new valves... and did a leakdown test... and all is well...
New gaskets all around... head reinstalled... intake and exhaust manifolds bolted up...

Picked up and installed the new T belt today and finished up with the final steps of assembly... tomorrow I'll add the coolant... change the oil... and breath some fire back into this little 'woo...

I'm tickled pink that I was able to do the whole repair by myself... Just another step to know this car better ;)

It'll be nice to have my beater on the road again... :D
'01 Nubira SE 2.0
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Congrats on the repair m8, and gl when you fire it up. Hope all's well.

And lolll, in those pics, it looks lik it's a windy day and the valves are blowing away
SAZ
---------------------
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i hope you made sure the head wasnt warped befor you reassembled every thing. if it is your gonna haveto rip every thing off again and get the head resurfaced. but that is very cool that you did all of that your self. good luck bro

MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

very nice work bro ;)... i always appreciate a good handy man.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267