Headlights Hazed Over.

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

BosnianLanos
Expert

Headlights Hazed Over.

Post by BosnianLanos »

My '99 Lanos headlights have oxidized, and while not completely, there is just enough yellow to piss me off. I really don't want my car to resemble a Dodge Neon :( with those lights that oxidize after a few months! My lights have even got dimmer due to it.

Is there a way to get rid of this? I've heard some guys use wetsanding, and then a plastic-polishing compound to get the shine back on their Neons, if so, what # of sandpaper should I use, and what compound is good? I've also seen the "Flitz" stuff that promises to take off "years of oxidation in a few seconds" amongst other things :lol: . Have you guys tried any of this on your Woos or other cars?

Any suggestions appreciated!
inertiaticesp

Post by inertiaticesp »

i had the same prob. i wet sanded with 1500 grit wet sand paper then buffed with 2 different polishing/buffing compound... i dont remember what brand though.....i think it was just for paint
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

For my dad's 1999 Kia Sephis, I just used the Turtle Wax brand Red polishing compound on a buffing pad on the end of an electric drill, and then used the White buffing compound to bring back the shine.

This is done with the buffing bad wet.

Also, remember to use a different buffing bad with the different compounds as the abrasive will remain in each pad.

I hadn't thought of using 1500 grit wet sand paper, but it sounds like it would be a choice.

Cliff
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

any good point polishing compund (make sure you get the polishing compund, NOT other kind) will vey gently remove a thin layer of plastic and therefore oxidation. But DO TEST in a corner before you do entire lamps.
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Will do! :D I'll use Turtle wax and a buffer.

Thanks.