Nubira low oil pressure

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

jbleakley

Nubira low oil pressure

Post by jbleakley »

my 1997 Nubira CDX 2.0L has been sitting around for a few months...recently started it up and was driving it to work(after about 20kms) when the low oil pressure light came on....this had never been a problem before...soon after the tappets(hydraulic lifters) were getting noisy...there was no lack of oil...i changed the oil and put in a new oil filter...went for another drive and the oil pressure light came on again after driving about 30 km...i talked to some mechanics...they suggested the possibility of a stuck oil pressure relief valve or a cracked oil pump...but they also suggested I put an engine flush chemical through the engine in the hope it may free up the oil pressure relief valve if it is sticking and change the oil/filter again...can anyone give me some ideas :?:
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i'd go with the flush too with a car that was sitting for too long... try it first then we will see afterwards.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

If you just got a new oil filter I wouldnt bother getting another one for a start. Are there any leaks? the oil pump could be a bit duffed too from sitting for so long.

I know a lot of daewoo hoses go almost like chewing gum when they sit up with oil in them. The engine that came out of my car was a disgrace in terms of the hoses, they just broke apart when you pulled them
SAZ
---------------------
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

This engine family is somewhat known for sticky brass oil pressure relief valve, which could be a problem especially after a few months in storage.

If the motor flush does not help.... Dive under the car with 22mm spanner (??) and undo the bolt on the right-hand side. Its spring-loaded so be careful when it pops out. Ensure the piston underneath it can be moved freely by hand. If you cannot move it, or if its sticky, that is your problem. New oil pump can be obtained inexpensively off eBay (keyword Nubira oil pump). If you are in Europe, I'd recommend Z20LET oil pump from Opel Astra (they feature nylon relief valve and higher output). Also, if the piston moves fine, the oil pickup in the oil pan may be clogged with sludge (sign of poor motor maintenance), or its o-ring seal may be shot. Hope this helps.

Post by Dillon »

My car did the same thing but on my way to get it fixed it went back off and everything has been fine for about a year. But i did get an oil pressure gauge to be sure.

KDM 2.0 Nubira
JoshC

Post by JoshC »

I found this thread by searching and i've almost got the same problem, but wanted to check. Here is my story:

Bought the car from a young girl. She said the oil pump was bad. My first question was does it run and she said yes. Shop told her it was bad. I asked her what made her take it in and she said it was smoking really bad on the interstate coming home from school one day. Well that was back in Feburary. Car has been pretty much sitting since then. She has used it a couple of times. So i meet with her yesterday to take a look at the car. I was curious as to how it ran. The nose of the car was facing down hill. She fired it up and it had some knocking and that went away. No smoking. I sat in it and reved it a couple of times and it all seemed good, no OPS light. Got down the road about a 1/2 mile (enough time to get the oil good and hot) and the OPS light flickers and then comes on. I'm curious if the pump is bad since it waited till operating temp for the light to come on?? I was a bit woried about buying parts for the car after not having much luck locally, but was RELIEVED when i found this forum!!!!