F28 leaking transmission fluid

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

F28 leaking transmission fluid

Post by kinkyllama »

At least I'm 90% sure at this point, cause I doubt it's power steering fluid.

I've had a look under there severral times, but we thought it was PS fluid since it was really low, filled that up and I've leaked a bunch of fluid and the PS level hasn't changed.

Anyways what are some likely reasons/places/solutions to the leaking?

Thanks,
Danny
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

You are 100% its transmission fluid? Does it look like oil, coming from around the transmission pan and/or where the axles go in? Are you sure it isn't brake fluid from your slave cylinder?
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

exist3nce wrote:You are 100% its transmission fluid? Does it look like oil, coming from around the transmission pan and/or where the axles go in? Are you sure it isn't brake fluid from your slave cylinder?
+1

Post by kinkyllama »

GsiTurbo wrote:
exist3nce wrote:You are 100% its transmission fluid? Does it look like oil, coming from around the transmission pan and/or where the axles go in? Are you sure it isn't brake fluid from your slave cylinder?
+1
I'm pretty darn sure it's tranny fluid; plus my brake fluid levels okay and my brake pedal feel seams normal considering I have at MOST 200miles of easy driving left on my front brake pads and only a few thousand on the rears.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

If your axles are too long or there is some sort of damage it's possible that the axle seals are leaking.

Did you replace them prior to installation of the F28?

If not you should get a set sent from the UK so that you can have the shop put them in when they pull out the Group N axle.

I need a set as well...since I'd prefer to change mine before installation of the F28... we could kill two birds with one stone and buy both sets at the same time if you want.

I'm pretty sure they just pop out with a screw driver and you push them in and then tap them in lightly with a rubber malet.

I don't know for sure..... Tom might know..... if not I will find out from Migweb as to how to install them correctly.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

PrecisionBoost wrote: If not you should get a set sent from the UK so that you can have the shop put them in when they pull out the Group N axle.
I thought he was running the stock Forenza axles?
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

PrecisionBoost wrote:If your axles are too long or there is some sort of damage it's possible that the axle seals are leaking.

Did you replace them prior to installation of the F28?

If not you should get a set sent from the UK so that you can have the shop put them in when they pull out the Group N axle.

I need a set as well...since I'd prefer to change mine before installation of the F28... we could kill two birds with one stone and buy both sets at the same time if you want.

I'm pretty sure they just pop out with a screw driver and you push them in and then tap them in lightly with a rubber malet.

I don't know for sure..... Tom might know..... if not I will find out from Migweb as to how to install them correctly.
No I did not replace them. I'd like to get a set to replace them, how soon could we get them? I can't drive the car untill I do all this, I've probably lost half my gearbox oil if not more.

exist3nce wrote: I thought he was running the stock Forenza axles?
Ones factory, the other isn't
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

kinkyllama wrote: No I did not replace them. I'd like to get a set to replace them, how soon could we get them? I can't drive the car untill I do all this, I've probably lost half my gearbox oil if not more.
So then the oil is coming out from where the axles go in?
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

exist3nce wrote: So then the oil is coming out from where the axles go in?
I don't know where it's coming from. I've wiped it all clean while it was on the lift a few times and couldn't tell where it came from.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I've been too lazy to find out where to get them...... I'm pretty sure they are available from a factory parts distributor.. I will ask Tom... I'm sure he knows a good place.

You should really find out where the leak is coming from...... but if your taking out the axles anyways it would be a really good idea to drop in new seals (where the axle goes into the tranny)
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
REY04

Post by REY04 »

hey guys when filling up transmission oil how does one know when its already filled up? i also lost one since i removed the axles and placed them back after i replace the boots.
Daewoo Racer Gti 1995 model, 1.5L SOHC, MPFI, Made in Korea(Bupyung plant).

"DRIVE WITH PRIDE"
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Sorry for the stupid question, I've haven't learned much about work on transmissions yet. How do you fill up the F28 trans fluid? and is mixing fluids okay?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

That should help, just undo the filler, i know on the f20 and f16 gearboxes it's a 17/19mm spanner needed

I dunno about mixing fluids, but I know when filling my gearbox up i used 2, 1 litre bottles of oil and 1 bottle of gearbox tratment

[EDIT] Sorry the filler's at the top of the gear box as you'd assume lol, and it's near the clutch arm
SAZ
---------------------
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Pir0 wrote:That should help, just undo the filler, i know on the f20 and f16 gearboxes it's a 17/19mm spanner needed

I dunno about mixing fluids, but I know when filling my gearbox up i used 2, 1 litre bottles of oil and 1 bottle of gearbox tratment

[EDIT] Sorry the filler's at the top of the gear box as you'd assume lol, and it's near the clutch arm
Thanks! I doubt mixing fluids is okay.

Is it bad to overfill the box?

and is that one labled "level" to check the level, if so how does that work?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Sorry I'm not 100% sure, i never even knew about the level bung until seeing that pic.

This is just a guess, but, opening that would probably drain the fluid down to the level you need. But don't quote me on that as it's just an assumption based on where it's located
SAZ
---------------------