SMT-6 question(s)

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

SMT-6 question(s)

Post by kinkyllama »

Well we're pretty sure my engine problems are just lack of fuel, my tune from my SMT-6 probably changed or got reset or something but we've ran into trouble with having the wrong parts from my wideband and whatnot so it hasn't been solved yet.

Anyways now my cars overheating and the fans aren't coming on, well after a 22min idle they didn't, and they don't with the a/c or heater on. I was woundering if this could be from my piggy back as well? I checked fuses, playied with wires and haven't noticed anything out of order. I thought maybe the motor was just burnt out but then I realized I have two fans/motors.

Also I see under "tools" on the SMT-6 software theres an option called "Reset SMT6 hardware", would that just bypass the piggy back and run off the stock maps and such? or is there a way to bypass the smt6?

Danny
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

not sure about the SMT 6 but if you wanna check the fans, unplug the temp sensor socket in the head and see if the fans kick in

if they don't then you got electrical problem with the power feed to the fans or a blown fuse or so

if they do then the smt 6 is telling the ECU something wrong about engine temp. (and i doubt that) and the fail safe mode is the only way arround that for the time beeing.

my 2 cents

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
woo_sleeper

Post by woo_sleeper »

try the rest hardware but i doubt its the smt6 its maybe a electrical prob in ur harness crossed wires or somthin
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

MMamdouh wrote: unplug the temp sensor socket in the head
MMamdouh
Ohh, where would I find this?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Hold on a second...... the SMT6 should have absolutely nothing to do with your cooling fans..... and it should not change or reset without you doing something to it.

The factory ECU controls the fans.... it looks at the engine coolant sensor to determine when it needs to turn them on and off.

If your fans are not operating then your ECU may be fooked.... which would explain your fuel problems.

The install of an SMT-6 is extreemly easy..... and the coolant temp sensor is not one of the connected wires (so it's most likely not an install issue.... but I couldn't tell you unless I was able to look at how they wired the car)

I was thinking you had a spare ECU..... if you do, plug it in and check to see if will turn on the fans.

I can't remember the trigger temperature..... I'm thinking it's around 240 to 250 degrees...... but I can't remember off the top of my head.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

PrecisionBoost wrote:Hold on a second...... the SMT6 should have absolutely nothing to do with your cooling fans..... and it should not change or reset without you doing something to it.

The factory ECU controls the fans.... it looks at the engine coolant sensor to determine when it needs to turn them on and off.

If your fans are not operating then your ECU may be fooked.... which would explain your fuel problems.

The install of an SMT-6 is extreemly easy..... and the coolant temp sensor is not one of the connected wires (so it's most likely not an install issue.... but I couldn't tell you unless I was able to look at how they wired the car)

I was thinking you had a spare ECU..... if you do, plug it in and check to see if will turn on the fans.

I can't remember the trigger temperature..... I'm thinking it's around 240 to 250 degrees...... but I can't remember off the top of my head.
Okay, I knew some piggy backs---or engine mngt systems do so I didn't know....so that rules that out.

But back to my engine not making power issue, we're 98% sure the problem is that it's running lean. If it's not possible for the smt6 to have changed/reset in any way then what else could it be? nothing else has been changed since then and I've been through a summer and winter before without this problem so it's not the weather either.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

Zero out the SMT and see if the car runs... you can verify the functionality of the OEM ECU that way. To me it sounds like it's been damaged somehow... there is no reason why with a piggy back you should be lean, especially maxing out the injectors...

The Engine Coolant Temp sensor is here... hopefully you can tell what that is based on the star bolt...
(highlighted)

BTW, If you find everything to be ok... maybe you should make provisions for the additional fuel injector driver and squirt one into the manifold...
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Audacity Racing wrote:Zero out the SMT and see if the car runs... you can verify the functionality of the OEM ECU that way. To me it sounds like it's been damaged somehow... there is no reason why with a piggy back you should be lean, especially maxing out the injectors...

The Engine Coolant Temp sensor is here... hopefully you can tell what that is based on the star bolt...
(highlighted)

BTW, If you find everything to be ok... maybe you should make provisions for the additional fuel injector driver and squirt one into the manifold...
highlight: this socket is right under the coil pack

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Audacity Racing wrote:Zero out the SMT and see if the car runs... you can verify the functionality of the OEM ECU that way. To me it sounds like it's been damaged somehow... there is no reason why with a piggy back you should be lean, especially maxing out the injectors...

Zero out as in bypass? how do I do that?

I'll check the sensor idea in a bit, I'm in the middle of a coolant flush now*

*Edit, I unplugged the sensor while the engine was running, and had been running for several mins, the fans did not kick on. I only left the sensor unplugged for 2mins tops since I wouldn't know if my car was starting to over heat. I don't think it's an wiring problems cuz I just had to fix a bunch of wires, checked all the other wiring around the engine are and everything looks fine, plus each fans wiring goes through seperate sides of the car so I doubt both could be damaged. Fuses looked okay, but I switched them with other fuses in the fuse box of the same size/amps/color just to be sure.

Now what do I do? :?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

do the fans spin freely? (with the car off spin the fan blades with your hand) if not your fans are shot.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Do you have another ECU?

Again.... fans are controlled by the ECU... they have nothing to do with the SMT6..... with both fan problems and injector problems I still have to think the issue is with the factory ECU or wiring.

The other thing to check is the fan relays which should be in the main fuse panel in the engine bay.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

daewoomofo wrote:do the fans spin freely? (with the car off spin the fan blades with your hand) if not your fans are shot.
Yep.

PrecisionBoost wrote:Do you have another ECU?

Again.... fans are controlled by the ECU... they have nothing to do with the SMT6..... with both fan problems and injector problems I still have to think the issue is with the factory ECU or wiring.

The other thing to check is the fan relays which should be in the main fuse panel in the engine bay.
No I do not.

Fan relays? I'll take a look, what do relays look like?

*edit, relays looked fine but I don't know what to look for in a bad relay so I switched the fan-hi relay with the headlight relay and the headlights came on, also switched the fan low relay with another one of the same type but didn't check it (too tired to go for a drive).
Last edited by kinkyllama on Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
Audacity Racing
moron

Like massive, chunky fuses....

:lol:

kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Audacity Racing wrote:Like massive, chunky fuses....

:lol:
haha, thanks. I always assumed those were fuses. How would you tell if one were bad anyways?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
Audacity Racing
moron

It should click... loudly... when power is applied.

You may need to take it out and shoot some power through the switch side (the part that activates the internal mechanism) and listen for it. The schematic for each relay is usually on the relay itself or take the number for it and go look online.