Project Super Swift

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Oh........ for the record in case people are confused about this..... any 2.0L (8V or 16V) or 2.2L will fit into the Kalos/Aveo/Swift chassis since they share the same basic block dimensions.

So....... if you wanted just a bit more power you could simply drop in a U20SED (forenza/reno) or T20SED (Nubira) into the Kalos/Aveo/Swift chassis.

I just wanted to be clear that a standard T20SED engine mount from a Nubira was used in this engine swap..... the only modification was a quick grind of one small area of the mount to ensure clearance between the mount and the timing belt..... in a T20SED/U20SED/T22SED this would not be a problem since the timing belt follows a different pattern as it goes over the DOHC head.

( please don't ask any further questions about which engine fits in which car.... if you need more info do a search or PM me )
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

did you have to sacrafice power steering or air conditioning for this swap as you would have had to do in a lanos? i know the lanos and kalos are different cars but i wonder if the owner will have all of the OEM options with the new 2.0?

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Yes and no..... because of the fact that a center mount was used it's possible to use the 16V power steering and A/C mount to have all the regular options.

But...... the 1.6L 16V A/C pump is slightly different than 2.0L 16V A/C pump.... so to use the A/C would require converting over to the 2.0L 16V A/C system.

Now for the bad news..... this stuff fits just fine if you don't have a turbo.... but once a turbo is installed the inlet is a couple inches from the back of the 2.0L 16V PS/AC mount

So.... if your going naturally aspirated then no problem....but if you want a turbo setup then you need to move the PS to the back side like it came on the stock C20GET.

You can also use the A/C mount for the C20GET as well.... but that also means converting over to the Sunbird A/C pump.

There are lots of options... but none that work perfectly.

I belive Alan is looking to get rid of the A/C but Tom told him not rush into anything,and wait and see if we can figure out a way to integrate it into the current setup.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

chris, what do you think of running DIS on the GET in the Aveo, the GET computer will support it.

garrett
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

What would you use for a reluctor wheel to be able to move to a DIS ?

I thought the newer 2.0L cranks with the reluctor were not as strong at the older cranks.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

:? good question about the new and old cranks that would be good to find out 100% one way or the other.

as far as how to get your signals for the DIS, you'd just have to use the system from the '90-'94 2.0 SOHC (is that what you were refuring to, pre-'90/ post-'90?)

i'm a bit rusty on the subject bet there are a couple DIS SOHC's here i'd have to take another look at.

garrett
AveoSS_8

Post by AveoSS_8 »

what size exhaust is best to use with this build? Im looking to do this on mine if you dont know but ill probably have to do something custome but what size 2.5"?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

that's a good size if you are using a T25/T28 most people use 3" one bigger T3 setups so 2.5" seam fitting.

chris, just for clearity which motor mount bracket did you use, 1.6 DOHC or 2.0 DOHC?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

also, how does the accessoies sytem compair between the 1.6 DOHC and the 2.0 SOHC.

can AveoSS us his accessories? is the PS pump completely different or just different hole taped ing that same pump?

if he uses the 1.6 accessories will he need a 2.0/2.2 DOHC crank pulley or can he use the 1.6 pulley?

garrett
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The Aveo is not here anymore.

We are going to try and use the Aveo power steering and A/C but it will require a special mount to position the accessories lower down on the block..... or we will use the rear mounted C20GET power steering and A/C system

As I said earlier in this project.... the biggest problem right now is that the power steering/AC mount for the 2.0L 16V would work on the C20GET but it's directly in line with the turbo inlet housing (a few inches away) so the only way it would be of any use is if you ran the car naturally aspirated (in which case the U20SED is the best choice)
Last edited by PrecisionBoost on Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Oh.... update.... Tom just mentioned that Alan (our friend) went ahead and disconnected the A/C line and he's decided to use the C20GET power steering pump.

Alan came in this morning with some coffee for us but I must have been up front when he mentioned that he came to a decision on his own.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Dillon
Expert

Post by Dillon »

dear lord man....

KDM 2.0 Nubira
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The 2.0L 8V accessory pully is identical to the 1.6L 16V (same belt style) but the 1.6L crank pulley is way different than the 2.0L 8V in mounting distance (thanks to the 1.6L 16V reluctor wheel built into the pully) so it would require a fair amount of modifications to make the 1.6L accessories work on the 2.0L 8V

At this point the project is going forward with the 2.0L 8V Power steering pump and no A/C

The question of PS hoses and connections has not been addressed yet.... the car is at our friends garage and no work has been done on it since it left my shop.

We will update this project post as we move along, so please don't ask "what are you going to do or how will you make this fit" kind of questions.

Quite simply I will post on each of the issues as we solve them.

As far as wiring.... I will be modifying a megasquirt mainboard to be compatible with the C20GET system.... I hope to also make a wiring loom for the megasquirt/C20GET.

I can't guarantee that this loom will be made during this particular project since I don't know how much time I will be able to put into project Super Swift (since I have two projects of my own that need a very significant amount of work )

I may end up making a completely separate post in the electronics section on modifying a megasquirt mainboard... where to get components and how to hook it up and tune it for a C20GET.

Here is the 2.0L 8V pully next to the 1.6L 16V pully.... due to the difference in mounting position (thanks to the reluctor wheel ) the 1.6L accessories would not line up with the 2.0L 8V unless you created a spacer to pull the 1.6L accessories back towards the block slightly.

Last edited by PrecisionBoost on Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

I'm assuming that the Aveo pulleys are the same mounting depth as the Lanos pulley just without the wheel, right?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c253/ ... ockUDP.jpg
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Yes, I think the mounting depth is the same on all 1.6L engines..... I pulled off the pulley from one of my spare 1.6L 8V and it looks just like the picture you posted.

If the 1.6L had less depth than the 2.0L 8V then it would be an easy fix as you could simply shim up the 1.6L pulley..... but in this case the 2.0L is the one with smaller depth.... so unless a custom pully is manufactured it's not something that is particularly easy to fix.

Realisticly I don't see any reason why the 2.0L 8V Power steering won't work in the Aveo.... so I belive that is the final decision..... to use the C20GET accessories and adapt them to work on the Aveo ( change the line length, possibly make some adapters for fittings if they are different )
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos