turbo in a 1.4 lanos?

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

USA minds... some of my friends got pulled over a few times and got a "fix it" ticket... they're like 165 bucks....

BUT, removing a cat is illegal in the US. Without the resinator my car sounds great... it's a bit loud on the highway going like 80mph, but other than that it's fine. I love my exhaust system.
lanosguy

Post by lanosguy »

lol, it is not illegal to remove the cat, but when it comes to the emissions test at the MOT, it will fail...so you have to put it back in before the test and out again after. :wink:

BTW, i do have the cat installed because of the previous comment(for the attention of wolf-spirit)

P.S. This is the first time in my life I have got a 3 page thread...anywhere, YAY
like the lanos
Wolf-Spirit
Expert

Post by Wolf-Spirit »

well if ya remove cat you will reach 6250rpm much easyer... and about tickets to fix and shit... play it smart... get a busted cat take out the internals and weld a tube in it (do put a tube in though or it will sound wierd) then the cops cant c it
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Wolf-Spirit wrote:well if ya remove cat you will reach 6250rpm much easyer... and about tickets to fix and shit... play it smart... get a busted cat take out the internals and weld a tube in it (do put a tube in though or it will sound wierd) then the cops cant c it
The cops won't be looking underneath your car whether or not you have cats installed. They judge it by the loudness, all the do is they give out "fix it" tickets. Even if it's your busted cat, they will still give you a ticket to fix it, cause the car is louder than normal.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

lanosguy wrote:lol, it is not illegal to remove the cat
No really, in USA or at least Connecticut, it is. Under federal law, no one can remove the cat (not you, not autoshop). Whoever does it, will be penalized. It is illegal.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Actually now that I've done some research, it's ILLEGAL to remove cats from any kind of car (even if it's off-road type vehicle). It would violate the Clean Air Act.

http://www.off-road.com/dodge/tech/13Ma ... elines.htm
lanosguy

Post by lanosguy »

yeah, sorry acing team...i meant it is not illegal in the UK. As i say, u will fail the MOT...also, if u get a dodgy cop and he decides to do an emissions check on you there and then (which they do) you will get a VERY big fine
like the lanos
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Yeah, that sucks man....
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

Yeah I never take off the cat either but I always replace it with a high flow cat :D
Wolf-Spirit
Expert

Post by Wolf-Spirit »

poor lads :p
i removed mine no trouble... ok sometimes i get pulled over for noise... but we get no fix it ticket lol... yust tell us to fix it and report back later.

but the difrence in having a cat or not is big :twisted:
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

Yes taking a cat can result in more power/sound. However the most we can do in our situation, is get a high flow catback, Bigger exhaust piping, and a new muffler, removing the resonator is optional. You can also put a Silencer in the muffler if it is indeed too loud. Then again, unless your oz (Lol) then nothing is too loud.
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Stock.. Till summer (good job coming)

RRM Turbo Kit
VRS 3" Exhaust with a MeganRacing Carbon Fiber muffler.
Some other goodies.
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Governor of Florida, Jeb Bush :x , stopped car emissions testing in the state. Sure there are a bunch of smokey junkers out on the road but the good thing is I can do almost anything to my exhaust system without getting a ticket, and as for the cops, every other car down here has an aftermarket exhaust, so they would have to open a new task force just to give out tickets, they don't worry themselves with it. I've seen 5.0 Mustangs with straight-through's that are so loud they seem to wanna' shake my body panels off, and never heard of them getting pulled over... sucks that you guys do though :( ...

Mmmm...I love Florida. :D
lanosguy

Post by lanosguy »

I know, but HEY, never mind, c'est la vie, lol
like the lanos