steering alignement

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kantsas

steering alignement

Post by kantsas »

i been to the mechanics twice now to get my wheels tracked and alligned

the first time they apparantly made the wheels straight but the steering wheel was twisted to the right so much so that it nearly covered the dials...

i took it back and then they adjusted it again, the first guy must not of had the steering wheel straight, anyway another guy then used the lasers and stuff to make them perfect which he did and i saw him do. but the steering wheel is ever so slightly to the right, just enough to be annoying that if i was to straighten the wheel i would go off the road.

the man said that i would need to take it to my garage as there must be a problem with the steering and not the wheel alignment, as they cant adjust it to be wrong to compensate for the steering problem..

i dont know how it works any of you have any ideas, its only a fraction twisted to the right, is it possible to losen the steering wheel and twist it 1 degree to the left and then tighten it again so that its straight?? that would solve my problem.
Turtle_Wax
Junior

Post by Turtle_Wax »

My steering wheel was slightly out after having the tracking done on my Lanos. As it was spot on at the road wheels I simply removed the steering wheel and moved it back a spline. You need a security torx bit to remove the 2 bolts at the side holding the airbag and the wheel is very stiff to remove. The trick is to try and pull the steering wheel squarely off without any sideways movement. It takes a bit of brute force but eventually it will come off.
kantsas

Post by kantsas »

THANKS

So all i do is remove the two torx screws and it should come off, now all i gotta do is find a torx bit.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

be VERY carefull when working around the airbag. its not hard to short it and have an accadental deployment, you should disconnect the battery and step on the brake peddle for like 10 sec to make sure there is no stored power in the system.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Turtle_Wax
Junior

Post by Turtle_Wax »

Yup, once the airbag is removed you will see the big nut holding the wheel so remove that and it should come off. As posted above it's advised to disconnect battery for safety but I managed to do mine without disconnecting the airbag wire and rested the bag on top of the steering column cover, but it may be easier to disconnect the bag and move it out of the way.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

do not do that!

now your left travel is not as long as your right travel... i mean the distance to lock positions are not the same now, i know it might be a little bit but it is not right to do that.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

I always had my steering wheel moved to the left a little bit and the car turns to the right for a little bit also, and no matter where i do the allingment, its always the same but this (LIL BIT) changes to alot or little
>2004 Nubira, 1.6L (Manual Transmission)
>Custom made cold air intake
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
kantsas

Post by kantsas »

ok help me now....
i removed the two yellow torx screws to free the airbag
i unplugged the horn wire...

how do i unplug the airbag wire???????????????

also i am pulling SOOOOO hard at the wheel but i cant get it off!! how do u get it off!???
kantsas

Post by kantsas »

never mind i done it now... FINALLY!

i was pull so hard when u dont need to, it was funny, it flew in my face and the airbag went flying and it unplugged itself... so thats how i did it. lol

ayway i moved it twi splices to left and now its fine woooo!!
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

I had the same issue, I pulled soooooo friggin' hard to get the wheel to come off, I was just about to give up when a light touch took the wheel off no problem.

But I'm glad you got your situation sorted out!