aveo tuning??

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

AveoSSTurbo

Post by AveoSSTurbo »

jidasas wrote:your gonna need tranny upgrades too. The auto tranny is only good to about 200 hp at the crank...so maybe 180 at the wheels. and 200 torque at the crank as well...at least that's the gm rating for it. I don't know about the manual but I assume it's about the same maybe a little more if you are very easy on it.

Jimmy
Thats fine to run 180 at the wheels for a time.
kinkyllama wrote:D20 should work with that power depending on what your doing and what tires your running
ill be running 17x7 rims with 205/40-17....how much hp at the wheels could it handle??
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Given were talking about the 1.6L I don't think it will be possible to run those kinds of numbers with the stock pistons.

Bascily the compression needs to be bumped down a little.... the easisest method is a thicker head gasket.... but the most reliable is new low comp pistons.

Personally I would bet on a solid 150whp and call it a day.... the car will be very quick at this level of power.

Keep in mind this is nearly double the power you currently have in your Aveo

Trust me on this.... my Lemans with the stock C20GET turbo is probably very close in weight to the Aveo and it is a real handfull to keep on the road with the torque steer.

Here is the dyno of the completely stock engine.... http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... emans+dyno

I'm going to say it's roughly 140whp and 175lbft

I have a hell of a time keeping the car from spinning it's tires in first and second.... it's only when I get into third that I can use full throttle without tire spin.

You really have to keep in mind the power to weight ratio when figuring out how fast the car is.

Lets just say your around 2400lbs..... and lets guess that 150whp translates to roughly 180hp at the crank.

That mean your car is running about 13.3 lbs for every horsepower

Now..... lets look at a few other cars to see where they are at.

My Mazdaspeed3 weighs in at a heavy 3150lbs but I have 263hp at the crank giving it about 12lbs for every horsepower.

So... the aveo with 150whp would be slightly slower than my Mazdaspeed3.... which is one of the fastest "stock" production FWD cars on the planet.

Now.... the Dodge SRT-4 is rated at 215hp at the crank (which is low) and it weighs about 3000lbs

So it should have a power to weight ratio of about 14lbs per horsepower but since they rated the car low I'd guess it's closer to 12.7 lbs per horsepower.

Needless to say you probably know where I'm going with this........ an Aveo with 150whp would probably keep up fairly well with an SRT-4

If you start pushing past 150whp your going to have to worry about upgrading the transmission and engine components.... which will cost you a significant amount of money.... were talking about something in the $5000 range if your getting a shop to do the work for you.

So.... I would suggest you start out with something more realistic.... it may be possible to push the engine to 250whp but it will be next to impossible to get that power to the ground unless significant upgrades (including a limited slip) are installed.

I'm just going to guess here..... I'm thinking your going to need to run about 12psi to 15psi to get into the 150whp range.

In my opinion you would be better off dropping in a 2.0L/2.2L and turboing it if you want something above 200whp.... the 2.0L (25% more displacement) or the 2.2L (37.5% more displacement)

Don't get me wrong.... the 1.6L is a good little engine but you will be asking quite a bit if you want that much power.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
AveoSSTurbo

Post by AveoSSTurbo »

12-15 psi??? isnt that a little much for the engine to handle? i figured the engine could only handle 8-10 at the very most.
and i am fine with 150whp for a while...but in time i would like more hp...and maybe i would just do the 2.0 turbo swap and tranny

how much money are we looking for me to get to 150 to the wheels??
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

12-15psi is nothing..... here... drool on this.... 1.6L making 275hp and 239 lb-ft on 20.6 PSI of boost

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... ight=turbo

Now don't get me wrong... to manage 12psi on your engine would require some significant work to ensure that it does not detonate.

You really need to think this through however.... you might be better off saving your factory engine and buying a 1.6L and transmission to fool around with.

That way you can do the engine up how you want it and still drive your car..... then when it comes time you simply drop out the factory drivetrain and drop in the turbo engine and tranny.

Honestly...... I don't know how much it will cost to make 150whp.... for me $5k goes a long way.... but that's because I do everything myself.... I don't need to take it to a performance shop to have work done.

If your 100% taking it to a performance shop... then it could cost you quite a bit... possibly $3500 to $5000 due to the significant amount of labour involved.

Hmmmm...... given your in Auburn you could allways drive the car up here and get me to do the work for you.

I actually have a 1.6L SOHC and two 1.5L SOHC engines..... no 16V engines.... but that's not hard to come by.

Basicly you would need to come up with a set value for your project..... bascily the amount of money you have currently (which you told me) and the total amount of money your willing to put into the project.

I could have an engine built up here and source everything needed for the install..... then it would be a matter of coming up here for about a week while the engine/tranny/electronics were installed.

By the way........... is your car an automatic or manual???

Do you have emissions testing? ( if so how often? )
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
wolfhound
Junior

Post by wolfhound »

Biggest problem with the 1600 is just that, it's a 1600.

I spent a bloomin fortune getting the 1600 running proper and then found a dude in Johannesburg with complete Calibra Turbo motors .... with manifolds and turbos for R15k .... thats about $2200us. I must have spent double that on the 1600.

Std pistons will take 0.7bar boost without a problem as i ran mine for 12000km (7500miles) till it popped the head gasket, problem was the crown of the pistons run hotter the further away they are from the head (quench?) and can cause detonation. Mine did with the metal head gasket and shorter rods.

If you want to stick with the 1600 and have reliability then contact Dwayne Snyder at Wiseco and get the deep dish pistons he made from my sample std Woo 1600 piston. they make them in 79/79.5 & 80mm bore. They give you 8.8 and still keep the std crown shape which will give you the quench the pistons need to keep cool and limit the chance of detonation.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/ ... 007003.jpg

Séan
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
Pirelli 215/35 P Zero Nero tyres
AveoSSTurbo

Post by AveoSSTurbo »

PrecisionBoost wrote:12-15psi is nothing..... here... drool on this.... 1.6L making 275hp and 239 lb-ft on 20.6 PSI of boost

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... ight=turbo

Now don't get me wrong... to manage 12psi on your engine would require some significant work to ensure that it does not detonate.

You really need to think this through however.... you might be better off saving your factory engine and buying a 1.6L and transmission to fool around with.

That way you can do the engine up how you want it and still drive your car..... then when it comes time you simply drop out the factory drivetrain and drop in the turbo engine and tranny.

Honestly...... I don't know how much it will cost to make 150whp.... for me $5k goes a long way.... but that's because I do everything myself.... I don't need to take it to a performance shop to have work done.

If your 100% taking it to a performance shop... then it could cost you quite a bit... possibly $3500 to $5000 due to the significant amount of labour involved.

Hmmmm...... given your in Auburn you could allways drive the car up here and get me to do the work for you.

I actually have a 1.6L SOHC and two 1.5L SOHC engines..... no 16V engines.... but that's not hard to come by.

Basicly you would need to come up with a set value for your project..... bascily the amount of money you have currently (which you told me) and the total amount of money your willing to put into the project.

I could have an engine built up here and source everything needed for the install..... then it would be a matter of coming up here for about a week while the engine/tranny/electronics were installed.

By the way........... is your car an automatic or manual???

Do you have emissions testing? ( if so how often? )
mine is a manual....and what all would i need done that could possibly need a shop to do it....i can tune it myself thats no problem...at 150 do i have to do any engine work? or can i just strap the turbo on and tune it?
and emissions i wont have for another 4 years and then its like every 3 after that i think
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

...I'll sell you a 2.0l with 3,800 miles on it for around $1150 shipped. I just bought one and then my house got robbed and I dont even have enough money to ship it to me now :roll: I even have a spare D20 you can have for cost of shipping, but its not in the best shape.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama