Power windows

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

ramichael

Power windows

Post by ramichael »

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the power window switches on the center console, thanks.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

what car do you have?

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
ramichael

Post by ramichael »

I have a '01 lanos, but i have got it figured out, thanks
ramichael

Post by ramichael »

Do i need to wire in any relays for the power windows?
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

you "should" wire a relay so that they only work when the ignition is on, but if you dont the only difference is that you will be able to roll the windows up with out the key. i never did the relay in the red woo, it was actually kinda nice.

ramichael

Post by ramichael »

I like having the windows work without the key!!
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

guys, using a relay saves u and ur car from fire or something if there was any shorts in the wiring which could happen from wearing or something by the years...as when u take off the keys, all the electricity cut out before going to any part of the car..be aware guys
>2004 Nubira, 1.6L (Manual Transmission)
>Custom made cold air intake
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

the fuse is what saves your car from burning, the relay only makes it so the windows cant be rolled down unless you %100 want them to, since ou haveto have the key on to do it. as long as there is a fuse in the power lead your fine. think about it, i had a 0 guage power wire for my stereo system, there was no relay on that wire, but i did have a fuse (200 amp) as long as there is a fuse you hae no worries about shorting, or burning

jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

but the amp has a relay function in it...it can't pull power unless it is turned on by the radio (remote turn on wire). I think what he is saying is that if a wire got its casing worn on something...i.e. inside the door...it could touch bare metal and create a spark and start a fire even with a fuse...cause the fuse would take a few seconds to burn out and by that time there could already be several sparks falling on parts which are plastic and could start to burn. It could happen with a relay as well but you would be in the car and would be able to stop the fire hopefully...without the relay you could be in walmart or something and a tiny fire start and take out your entire car. Realisticly it probably wouldn't happen but I'd rather be safe than sorry

Jimmy
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

if the wire shorts the fuse will blow in a milisecond. i have no worries about it, also there is no wirethta is hot at all times, the switches are in the senter console, and the wires that go into the door are only hot when the switch is being pressed.

jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

You're right... :smt102 It's true the wire isn't hot all the time...unless your clumsy like my friends and leave trash laying on the switches. I don't know why I didn't think about the fact that the wires are only hot when the switch is pressed. Thinking clearly I realize now that sparks are highly unlikely unless the switch shorted out and I agree it would blow the fuse very quickly and there would likely not be any issues.

For me though...I just would feel safer with the relay in place...especially when I often get in my car and my friends have left a drink sitting between the seats and the windows start going down as soon as I turn on the ignition...my luck I'd end up with a wet seat at the least cause it would rain and my windows would go down. lol

Jimmy
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

yeah i hear you on that, but its also nice for when you do leave your windows down and it starts to rain, you dont have to put the key in the ignition and all that. i know its just a small thing. i really do wish my car had been oem with power windows. i did my fronts today, and its still a PITA even with me knowing what to do

SergioK89

Post by SergioK89 »

Don't mean to hijack this, but like my car came OEM with front power windows. But I want to put in power windows in the back too. Do you guys have any kits or anything you would recommend for it? Thanks.
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

find another car and steal the front units out of it and retrofit it to your back windows...that's the only way I know to do it.

Jimmy