Throttle Body Spacer

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

john_trickle
Expert

Throttle Body Spacer

Post by john_trickle »

Quick question i know we put thick spacers on the exhaust manifolds can we do one on the throttle body between the throttle body and the plenum chamber will it make any diffrence at all just curious.
John
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

yes.
zerosilence
Super

Post by zerosilence »

it will i thought the tb spacers were like those things you put in your intake. i think its called the terminator or something. it spins the air around more in the intake chamber.
john_trickle
Expert

Post by john_trickle »

gse_turbo wrote:yes.
What thickness should i use.
john
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

will someone explain what would a spacer do to increase HP?? AFAIK it is one of those things that are good for nothing

BTW the spacer is different than the turbinator or whatever it is called... only common thing between both is that they are both a waist of money

if i am wrong please correct me with technical evidence

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

a TB spacer increases manifold volume. think of the VGIS, it has 2 different intake runners, one is longer to increase manifold volume. im not sure if the power gains will be noticable but i know that on carburated V8's they do it all the time. they have intake mani's that are identacal except that one has a higher part that the carb sits on. i dont have a dyno graph but i know that they do make more power.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
john_trickle
Expert

Post by john_trickle »

daewoomofo wrote:a TB spacer increases manifold volume. think of the VGIS, it has 2 different intake runners, one is longer to increase manifold volume. im not sure if the power gains will be noticable but i know that on carburated V8's they do it all the time. they have intake mani's that are identacal except that one has a higher part that the carb sits on. i dont have a dyno graph but i know that they do make more power.
What thickness should it be 9mm 10mm sound about right.
john
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

OK... so whats more vacuum is going to do to the engine performance?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
mister_g
Junior

Post by mister_g »

longer runners means less HP!!!!! Why? Because shorter runner would optimise inlet for higher rpm, and there is the gain... Longer runners would give you some torque in lower rpms, but you would lose HP and torque in high rpms...

On NA engine, only possible gain in HP is to bring engine on higher rpms, without big torque lose...

Power in HP is equal to Torque in Nm times rotation in rpm times constant

P[HP]=T[Nm]*N[rpm]/7024

So, if you could produce same torque on 7024rpm as on 6024 (with shorter runners), you would see big gain in power... Erfain was doing this with his custom inlet system...
mr_g, Crazy scientist
SMS Commander Car Alarm System
LaNOS Sport 2.0 16V 136WHP, c20xe inside
http://www.daewoo-hr.com
john_trickle
Expert

What is a throttle body spacer ?

Post by john_trickle »

A Throttle Body Spacer is an add on to your air/fuel intake area. Originally
used in the days of vehicles with carburetors, a throttle body spacer would
allow additional fuel/air mix to be present to allow for additional power, or
was used to "disturb" the air in such a way so that the fuel would form smaller
droplets. In current fuel injected vehicles, the spacer would allow for a
greater amount of air contained within the throttle body assembly so that the
engine would not have to work as hard in getting the air into the engine.

john
mister_g
Junior

Post by mister_g »

So it means bigger plenum. Bigger plenum means more torque in lower rpm area, and lower HP in higher rpm area... Just as I sad... IMHO waste of money and time, and degrading performanse of a car...
mr_g, Crazy scientist
SMS Commander Car Alarm System
LaNOS Sport 2.0 16V 136WHP, c20xe inside
http://www.daewoo-hr.com
Zydawn

Post by Zydawn »

I was under the impression that a throttle body spacer was to insulate the TB and keep it cool so you get more in the manifold.
something like that.
there usually made of thick plastic (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene )like 5mm or so but it cant be to big or you wont have enough thread to screw the nuts on.

Ive also been told that running water through your TB is only a good idea if you live somewhere really cold as it ends up heating the TB more than the ambient air around reducing the air density.

more air more power.

if it cost to much I wouldn't do it but
john_trickle
Expert

Post by john_trickle »

So do we still need to use the exsiting gasket on the throttle body or just the spacer and thats it.
john
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Zydawn wrote:I was under the impression that a throttle body spacer was to insulate the TB and keep it cool so you get more in the manifold.
something like that.
there usually made of thick plastic (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene )like 5mm or so but it cant be to big or you wont have enough thread to screw the nuts on.

Ive also been told that running water through your TB is only a good idea if you live somewhere really cold as it ends up heating the TB more than the ambient air around reducing the air density.

more air more power.

if it cost to much I wouldn't do it but

You've got this bang on....... there are significant horsepower gains to be made by insulating the intake..... but you ideally want to make sure it's in a nice warm climate like yours.

I have been thinking about making some spacers for my car as well.... I will be using 1/4" Phenolic material... I have a mill so I can cut them out.

Plastic is ok..... but you have to be carefull about the exact type you use so that it doesn't melt..... Phenolic board is basicly a fibreglass board... so it has good insulating qualities.... it's actually very thin layers of canvas material soaked in Phenolic resin and then compressed under a heavy load and cooked to cure it.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos