direct coilpacks

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

direct coilpacks

Post by gse_turbo »

direct coilpacks have been in the back of my mine for a couple years.

it's getting to that point and i need to deside how i'm going

they can be picked up all day on ebay.co.uk, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Coil-Pac ... dZViewItem

let me know what you thin, pros and cons
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Last edited by gse_turbo on Sat May 05, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

gse_turbo wrote:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-VX220-As ... dZViewItem

here's another.

garrett

NOTE: these are not the actual coil packs pictured.
These are the actual ones... difference in shape comes from the fact the 'plug wires' cover is different. I looked into this, and if i can find matching plug for the coils, I am going to get them. for the time being oem dis pack stays put.

Post by gse_turbo »

thanks for the reply. im talking with a guy right now in australia and i'm getting the same feedback. he said the valce cover is different in that the two mounts for the style we have set higher then the ones with the direct coil pack.

i'll keep looking into this, i'm sure you will also so keep me posted and i'll do the same.

garrett
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I really don't see an advantage at this point.... our ignition is not sequential so there is no way for an aftermarket system to figure out which exact coil on plug should be fired.

My thought on this is to create a circuit board which would tap into the factory sequential injector pulses to allow the aftermarket system to see which coil should be fired.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

this is an OE piece in europe and would plug directly to our harness and uses existing systems.

garrett
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

If it's a coil on plug then it's probably not compatible.... our coil packs have a circuit board built into them.... and the Europe/UK engines use a Siemens or Bosch engine management system.... not a delphi/delco like ours.

I suppose it would be possible to fire both coil1 and coil4 off the same trigger (if these european/uk components uses a positive pulse trigger system)

Still..... I don't see any advantage to using these stock coils.... it's far better to convert over to a multispark aftermarket system (such as an MSD) and use one of their aftermarket coils.

I saw Domwoo's MSD DIS2 system in action and it was crazy how much stronger the spark was.... no word of a lie that spark could have jumped 1/2" without a problem.

It's your money...... but to me it would be better to go with an aftermarket ignition with adjustable boost retard instead of using the factory system.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

i like the points you've made.

althogh, i'd likely use a greddy emanage or like for the computer so i'm not to worried about that.

i'm not to worried about a waisted 'spark system' either cause there are a few cars out there that come that way from the factory.

and because of tha added preasure in the cumbustion chamber i'm not reallt even worried about needing a blaster coil. but the ingition modual is something i would be interested in.
do you supose that if i were to go with this system that the ignition modual could be wired inline? there isn't anything i can think of that would prohibit that.

garrett
tallkid

Post by tallkid »

I'm trying to figure out which coil packs from MSD to use. I think I heard about people using the GM blaster coils...??

06 Suzuki Reno
TnastyII

Post by TnastyII »

i want to know exaclty what you have to do to put a MSD DIS-2 on a 04 suzuki forenza...is it just that converter mod? that makes the ECU read a 12v instead of the 5v?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I have NEON coils for my MSD DIS-2 system.

You do need a "converter" which will take the +5V pull up signal from the ECU and turn it into a 12V pull down signal in order to interface with the MSD system.

Here it is..... http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5973

I built the original prototype from parts at a local Radioshack.... but I would suggest Digikey as a good source for electronics.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
TnastyII

Post by TnastyII »

i thought i needed the converter. but do i HAVE to put new coils on my forenza or can the MSD use the stock ones with the converter?
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

ok.. the coil packs that can be used are.. any dual firing coil pack that dooes not have a driver in it already.. for example Dodge neon makes a 4 tower coil pack that will work pefectly and msd makes a upgraded neon coil pack that works also

the stock coil packs wont work.. they have a driver built in and would most likely be fried when the msd fires into them

me and chris are running the same setup and it has been working for both of use for over a year now
TnastyII

Post by TnastyII »

whats that setup then?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The factory coils have the circuit board ( driver) built into the bottom of them...... that's why they are so stupidly expensive to replace.

So in a word.... NO.... you can not use your factory coils with the MSD system.

To be completely honest..... you shouldn't bother changing your ignition system unless you are planning to boost the car by more than 7psi.

For low boost and naturally aspirated you will most likely find that there won't be any gains.

Additionally if you are going to boost your car you will want to buy an ignition system that has a "boost retard" function.

Basicly under high boost you need to back the ignition off and make the spark stronger..... but under 7psi it's probably going to do nothing but remove cash from your pocket.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos