Protect the environment and save fuelwith a cheap DIY device

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

ntwdavid

Post by ntwdavid »

mezomaster wrote:sorry for less knowledge about the electric properties, but is there any danger if that circuit kept connected to the battery all the time even when i leave the car, it wont charge all that time or anything? i am worried those capacitors keep charging and explode, or they just charge and discharge at the same time????
haha touch wood nothing had happen to my ride yet.

The DIY voltage stabilizer does not include any reverse diode to prevent wrong direction connection.
It also doesn't include a fuse to open the circult when all capacitors turn spoil.

recommend u guys to get a proper voltage stabilizer/ farad capacitor from the market :p
Daewoo Lanos, year 2000, 1.6L, DOHC, Sedan
ntwdavid

Post by ntwdavid »

PrecisionBoost wrote:
ntwdavid wrote: For the money I would simply purchase one of these large capacitors.... it will do the same thing but better.
If u got the time to source for the capacitors listed in my formula , u can properly get them for less than 4 bucks USD. However time and money spend may not be worth while if your ride does not benefit from it

i have make a mistake by saying the capacitior charge and discharge at the same time.
I'm not a electronics engineer hence i better not explain things that i'm not familiar with.

I presume your theroy are right , any specify voltage stabilizer/farad capacitor to recommend?
As a electronic engineer do u find those voltage stabilizer in the market useful?
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

i think i am going to look for 1 farad or 2 farad capacitor and a suitable fuse and diode then, cuz i think i will feel much more improvment in my car, but anyone proffessional can give me the right values to choose with the new circuit for the diode and the suitable fuse amp ??? and still dont know is it dagerous to keep the circuit connected all the time or not???
maded

Post by maded »

Stop being so pushy and tell everyone they MUST try it. This is, by all standards "snake oil" and your fuel savings may be a result of careful driving @ 5%.

If you want real fuel savings, go get your car turbo charged. Your NA car's ecu is not programmed for boost and NA maps on boost do save fuel - as long as you don't start driving like your hair's on fire.. We're talking about 10-20% savings here. Too bad Singapore's authorities frown on the mod :D

If you want a real one farad volt-stab, you can get one from audio shops. They use these things to prevent amps from losing power due to hard bass thumps. However be aware that large capacitors are prone to leakage and your battery may wear out prematurely.

If you insist on DIYing one, make sure you have large gauge wires. Cat5E strands won't cut it (pardon the pun). Forget the circuit board and solder the caps directly to the wires. Careful to prevent them from shorting and starting a fire. Use red and black wires to prevent user fault when connecting them up, and use large lugs. IMO you've got too many capacitors there and wiring is going to be a nightmare. Use a drop-down resistor to verify your circuit is working, and use an external blade type fuse to protect your investment (the car).

I have a similiar DIY setup in my car @ total 200,000uF that's 0.2F. Did it 2 years back. It doesn't work, trust me and i've yet to see any fuel savings. I haven't taken it out only because i'm too frikking lazy :D

my 2 cents man.
ntwdavid

Post by ntwdavid »

Anyway i just took out the device and test my car then i put it back and test my ride again the respondsiveness has gone, though my voltage meter can still see there are 12.83 of voltage in the voltage stabilizer.
genie47
Junior

Post by genie47 »

I have a mod. It saves me on gas because it literally uses gas. How's SGD4.00/100km sound to you? How about SGD1.00/100km sound to you?
ntwdavid

Post by ntwdavid »

genie47 wrote:I have a mod. It saves me on gas because it literally uses gas. How's SGD4.00/100km sound to you? How about SGD1.00/100km sound to you?
Can share your mod please :)