05 Reno: Timing Belt (new: water pump recall?)

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

CHNDROSE
Junior

05 Reno: Timing Belt (new: water pump recall?)

Post by CHNDROSE »

So my baby that I bought with something like 90 miles in the beginning of 05 now has about 62,000 miles on her.

Not too long ago I posted and got a lot of really good help on doing my brakes. :) So after calling around today and getting quotes between $330 USD and $500 USD just to replace the belt, I surfed in and looked up MMamdouh's How To. It looks to be very time consuming but not overly difficult.

Questions:
How difficult is it to actually do the change?
How much upper body strength is required?
How much do the tools run?
How much time for someone who has never done this before and will not have any backup should she get into trouble?

I may just take it to the dealer, who actually had the lowest quote so far but you guys bit me with the tinkering bug.

I also found a nice exploded view of the timing belt area here (just scroll down a bit).
Last edited by CHNDROSE on Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Light without shadow is blindness.
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Hey CHNDROSE,

I just did my Lanos. Had a Daewoo Factory Service Manual to refer to.

For the lanos ? I had to have an impact wrench to remove the crankshaft pulley. You will probably need one for your engine too.

I not only replaced the timing belt but also the tensioner, idler pulley and water-pump. Bought my parts (new, OEM) from an E-Bay seller. The full cost was about $170.00 (USD)

I didnt use any special tools.
I improvised :)

It's not physicaly hard work.

But,

If you have never done one before? You don't want to be hurried.
Need to take your time and do it right. A mistake could cost you your engine.
It could take a couple of days of (off and on) work.
I spent about as much time reading and re-reading the FSM and asking questions in here as I did wrenching.

hope this helps ?

p.s. That link/exploded view of your engine looks a LOT like my Daewoo Lanos engine.
:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

CHNDROSE,

Be sure to use the service manual intended for YOUR engine as camshaft timing marks are different.
At 62kmiles don't wait to do the job.

Daniel
CHNDROSE
Junior

Post by CHNDROSE »

Thanks. :)

My car will probably have about 63K before the job gets done. I decided to go with a mechanic since if I screw it up, I really don't have anyone to call. Maybe I will give it a go in 2 years when I hit 120,000 miles. I really do want to learn how to do all of this on my own, I just have trouble letting myself try. Things around me tend to go south or even explode... :)

Does the water pump have to be done now? I thought that was at the second timing belt change?
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

CHNDROSE wrote:
Does the water pump have to be done now? I thought that was at the second timing belt change?
My thought is most of the cost is labor so since your already have the timing belt done might as well get the rest done.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
CHNDROSE
Junior

Post by CHNDROSE »

Well for my old car, the local shops doubled the price when I wanted the water pump replaced. I am still playing phone tag with the mechanic who offered the best price for just the TB so far.

I am going to finish off the tax refund by picking up wires, plugs, and a new cap. I have the money now and may not later.

Thanks again. :)
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

reply deleted by spider
reason: could not find price of a reno water pump.
:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
CHNDROSE
Junior

Post by CHNDROSE »

I was told that there is a recall for the water pump in the 05 Renos. However, I could not find a recall notice anywhere on the 'Net. The dealer I bought my car through has given up on the Suzuki line and sold that part of the business off to someone else. I will be checking with the one dealer before my car goes in for the TB.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

never heared of that before.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
CHNDROSE
Junior

Post by CHNDROSE »

No recall on the waterpump unfortunately.

Price for TB, tensioner, water pump, drive belt, roller is $650 USD. A bit more than I wanted to pay but I would rather err on the side of caution as I could not afford to replace an engine.