oil coming out of oil cap

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

43som

oil coming out of oil cap

Post by 43som »

1.6liter twin cam nuby is the subject.
I have all the hoses hooked up to draw out the cam cover pressure. and still the oil is pushed out of the oil filler cap.
I replaced it with a new cap with extra rubber and paper gaskets to get it tight as. still leaks.
I have been told that it may be the rings on the way out, however not too keen on that advice, is there any other eason for it?
are the covers spose to have a baffle under the cap to stop oil being thrown at it so it leaks out?

I'm just throwing idea's round here however carzy they may be.

Let me know if any one else has such a prob.
The lanos never did it had the same engine.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

does the car lack power? if so then worn rings might be a cause for that

is the leak we are talking about here is oil condensation or actual gas leakage??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
43som

Post by 43som »

actual oil leakage. it's like oil is getting thrown onto the bottom of cap then excess pressure is forcing it out of the cap, then it leaks down the block.
I don't think it really lacks power as such. not majorly if i can tell.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

maybe the cap's "neck" is craked or broken... i mean the part on the cam cover were the actual cap is bolted to... this can cause oil vapour leak on the cam cover even if the cap itself is in good condition.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
43som

Post by 43som »

Yeh all seems in good condition. i often look at that wandering.
I am going to be taking the cam cover off and making a baffle that covers the oil fill hole from splash, maybe this will solve the problem, maybe it won't.
The other fact is, why is not getting this sort of problem any where else on the engine cover.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

I've had the same problem with my oil cap. I have yet to find a replacement cap or a fix for the problem.
43som

Post by 43som »

i took the cover off today, and made a baffle to cover the oil filler hole. pretty simple exercise.
there is a baffle on the other cam (side) but non on the filler side. there is no adverse affects in the cars performance so i am not sure if it worth going to the expense of
rebuilding it with rings yet. so we'll see how the baffle works tomo, will post again.
43som

Post by 43som »

took the cover off, made an alloy peice of plate to sit right under the cap entrance, then bent the ends down to alloy oil to flow in at service. rather easy excercise actually.
pop rivetted it in sealing it with hi temp silicon. i also re-sealed the cap AGAIN, this time i sealed it up with hi temp siikon then place the normal rubber seal back on, no leaks anywhere, so i am rather chuffed at the moment. there is abffle on the other cam, but non on the filler cap side, and there is heaps of clearance to fit such a unit.

so for now it's all good, the covers been repainted and look good.