Pep Boys tire service: Four thumbs down!

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Pep Boys tire service: Four thumbs down!

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

This is my angry rant about Pep Boys service center being terrible.
Enjoy! :)

As we all know, the orrigional stock tires that came on the Lanos are not wonderful.
My alignment was out on the front end, so my tires wore a little more than usual, so it was time to put new tires on and get a front end alignment at 24,000 miles.

Reading the Sunday new paper, I saw Pep Boys had a sale (as usual) on tires, so I decided to go there after lunch today.

I arrived there at 2:10pm, as it takes almost an hour to drive there from home.
I waited.
And I waited some more.
Finally, they got to me & I asked how long the wait would be. The guy said about an hour to an hour and a half because their tire technicians were all in a meeting.
Not too bad.
Futura GLS Super Sport 185/60/14 50,000 mile tires were only $40.99 each.
The alighnemt was $65. That is a little expensive, but let them do it while they had the car.
The total price was $305.62
I said that would be alright because I could walk around while they had the car.

The paper work was printed & had an arrival/start time of 2:40pm.

I looked around in the store, then I went next door to Advance Auto and returned about 30 or 40 minutes later to see my car still had not been moved.

Asking how long it would be, the guy said the meeting was over and the other techs are now working, so it should be about 30 mins.

Another hour pases, I fell asleep in the waiting room, then woke myself up from starting to snore. The car still had not been moved.

I asked how much longer & the guy told me they should be moving it "any minute now".
I waited some more and 15 mins or so later, they moved the car into the garage bay.
Watching the technicians through the window of the waiting room, they stood around, talked, went outside & smoked, talked more, went & got drinks from the machine, talked some more and hardly lifted a finger.
It was after 4:30pm by now and they had only taken the wheels off.
What happened to 30 minutes?!?!?!?

By 4:45, I told them to forget about the alignment because their technicians were taking their sweet time talking and standing around. I told them my 70 year old father works faster than that & could have had the car finished an hour ago! Now I just wanted to get the car back as soon as the tires were on.

To top it all off, I saw they used an air wrench to tighten the front wheel lug bolts and did not use a torque wrench.

I see they are very knowledgable technicians. *sarcasm*

The alignment can wait a few days, and my car is NOT going back to Pep Boys ... EVER. I'll go where I know they will finish the work quickly, where I should have taken the car to begin with.

The paper work was completed and printed that it was finished at 5:15pm.

2:10pm to 5:15pm was only (at first) an hour, then only a half hour??
Maybe no one ever taught them how to tell time.

Ok ... I'm done ranting.

Cliff
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

After having driven on these tires a few hours today, they are GREAT tires!
They are MUCH quieter than the stock tires were, I can't make them squeel on corners (yet!) and I can't make them squeel when taking off from the stoplight.
So far, they are great road holders, even on the really twisty back roads that don't have a good surface.

They *look* like they have good water channels for wet weather traction, but the way something looks can be deceiving. I have yet to try them in the rain. But, not to worry, we've had so much rain the past couple months, I'm sure the sky will open up again within a few days.

For dry traction and noise levels, I couldn't be happier with them for the price I paid.

Cliff

P.S. I'm *STILL* NEVER going back to Pep Boys for any kind of service! :)
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

I hate Pep Boys too.

I went to Town Fair Tire $290 or so I can't remember

Wolf-Spirit
Expert

Post by Wolf-Spirit »

errr arnt you tires on backwards?
they look like the got a rotation looking at profile.. but its pointing the wrong way?
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

nope thats the right way 8)
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

95% of all service centers are a bunch of idiots.

Allied Tires Service torqued down my wheels so much that they snapped my lug screw...then they wanted me to pay for it...screw them, no pun intended. Then, they broke the little plastic tabs off of my wheel center cap and blamed me.

A month ago I got a set of Kumho Ecstas at Sears (pimp tires, terrible service) at first I noticed oily fingerprints from the "technicians" all over my dash and visor, which wouldn't wash off. I even found them on my Head Unit. A week later, when I was changing brake fluid, I found out that my front wheels weren't even torqued down and my rear ones were so torqued it took two people on standing on a lug wrench to pry them free. Then, when I checked the tire pressure, I found that those morons inflated my brand new tires to 60+ PSI. Double the recommended!

Lets not even start to talk about the Daewoo Service Centers.

Bottom line: Do as much as you can yourself and if you f*ck it up well at least you know you did it. Instead of finding out the hard way like me.
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I do not allow ANYONE else to work on my car. If I am forced to get someone else to service my car I am right there over their shoulder.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

That's the only way to go! :D
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

That's the only way to go! :D