problem

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

the_house123

problem

Post by the_house123 »

hi guys, last night when i was driving a friend of mine home, my car suddenly started stinking of burning clutch and the revs were going crazy.
i wasn't hammering on the accelerator btw... :D

I thought this was odd and so tested it to see if the engine was being weird or not, so i put it int 3rd, went a nice 30mph and slapped it in 5th gear.
Now the revs should go right down, however this was not the case, the revs stayed exactly the same and if i floored it, the car would carry on at 30 yet the revs would increase very quickly up to 6,000 which s extremely worrying

So i checked it again this morning and low and behold it was completely fine!!! and didn't stink of clutch.

Im almost certain there is something wrong here and as i dont know much at all about engines, clutches etc... could some1 tell me what has happened or experienced the same thing???

cheers
mike
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

maybe that happened when the clutch was hot... i recon you were driving it for a while before this happened.

anyway what you discribed is atypical clutch problem... don't test it over and over as you might hurt your flywheel during the process if the clutch went down to bare metal or so.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
MMamdouh

Re: problem

Post by MMamdouh »

the_house123 wrote: so i put it int 3rd, went a nice 30mph and slapped it in 5th gear.
Now the revs should go right down, however this was not the case, the revs stayed exactly the same and if i floored it, the car would carry on at 30 yet the revs would increase very quickly up to 6,000 which s extremely worrying

mike
sounds like a good testing technique... will try it to see how my clutch do, i am not very sure of how it is now after 100k kms of mostly city driving

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
the_house123

Post by the_house123 »

heh, yeh i might be wrong in saying this, but i might need a new clutch plate.

its done it once before as well as i remember going from 2nd to 3rd (this time i was hammering it) and when it hi 3rd the revs shot straight up to the limiter.

GOD i was in for a shock!!! and yeah the smell of clutch was there as well.

but as you say mmamdoh, "i recon you were driving it for a while before this happened" if you call a good 10 mins of driving long then yes, which agai nis a little worrying as i dont ant that to happen on the motorway!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

One other posibility is that something dripped onto the flywheel/clutch ( such as oil ) and it caused a temporary "slippage"

Once the oil is burned off it would return to normal.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
the_house123

Post by the_house123 »

humm thats an idea as its only happened 2wice within 1/2 a year

il give it a big check today and see if i find anything "unusual"
cheers
mike
the_house123

Post by the_house123 »

hummm its happened again, and it keeps happening.
This is starting to get a little worrying .
i hope i don't have some form of engine failure!!
XD
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

MMamdouh wrote:maybe that happened when the clutch was hot... i recon you were driving it for a while before this happened.

anyway what you discribed is atypical clutch problem... don't test it over and over as you might hurt your flywheel during the process if the clutch went down to bare metal or so.

MMamdouh
I agree. A clutch problem like you describe wont just go away. You need to pull your tranny. Install a new clutch disc and pressure plate.

cost-wise and labor-wise ?
Better a manual tranny than a auto.
:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

Sounds like a leaky main seal :cry:
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Audacity Racing wrote:Sounds like a leaky main seal :cry:
agree, could be that as well. Either way ? It won't fix itself.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
the_house123

Post by the_house123 »

yeah im taking it to the garage on Tuesday to get looked at, i told them the problem and they thought it was the clutch plate and so there going to see what they can do.
either ways its going to be costly :(