Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

wazz

I have a "No Start Problem" 2000 Lanos 1.6L 5spd

Post by wazz »

1- Car/Engine/Transmission type.
2000 Lanos 5spd S series
2- kms/miles on the car.
car has 60K miles
3- Ignition system serviced kms (spark plugs, spark plug wires, coil pack).
Vehicle has good clean spark jumps an easy inch or better at the spark pulg end of the wires.
4- Fuel system serviced kms (injectors, filter, pump).
Just bought the car am unsure of the history.
But I am very sure that is has good power to the fuel injectors but no negitive pulse from the PCM driver.

5- Air filter serviced kms.
AF is fine
6- Engine mods list if available.
None
7- Exact description for the problem.

Vehicle starts and dies (acts like some form of anti theft is trigered)
8- Associated characteristics for the problem (eg. Does is happen when the car gets hot, goes over 60 mph, turning left, A/C on,etc...)
Problem is consistant and continues with the injectors unpluged or pluged also while unpluged 1 at a time, there are no DTC's set. And I have tryed unpluging all engine sensors 1 by 1 checking for any change in symptom and it is consistant.
9- CEL status (on, off, blinking) and preferably the DTC code you got after the OBD scan in case the CEL is on/blinking.
CEL is off and no DCT's are set (checked with a Snap-on Brick) sensors like air and coolant temp look normal.
10- Any recent engine service done, even if it is a very routine one.
The vehicle was resently hit in the driverside rear quarter pannel, I have found that also the brake lights were not working and was due to a bad brake light switch. All fuese under the hood and next to the kick pannel have been checked with a test light and are good.

I have searched for a little over an hour on this site now and recieved so many threads to look in that I limited my looking to just thread titles and havent found anything about this symptom yet, figured it would be a common problem guess not.
Any ideas where to check next???

wazz 8)
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Ignition switch ?
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

When you put the key in the ON position (not quite bumping the starter), do you hear the fule pump kick on?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

what about fuel filter... is it clogged? seems like you are not having enough fuel pressure to start the car.

check the fuel filter and see if the pump primes as Auda suggested.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
wazz

Post by wazz »

Audacity Racing wrote:When you put the key in the ON position (not quite bumping the starter), do you hear the fule pump kick on?
that i have not tryed

I do know that if you crank the engine while depressing the schrater valve to the high presure side of the fuel system, it will shoot a pretty good squirt. I have not yet hooked up a fuel pressure guage.

Does any one know for sure how the if any Anti Theft system works on this vehile?
I have looked thru most of Alldata and some of Mitchel OD

Alldata shows some fancy alarm is available (seem like its for a different car, included door locks, hood pin and trunk pin on the diagram)

the blinking red light on the raido seems to be blinking interactive with how the motor starts and dies. :lol:
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

Easy way to check if you have it...

Take off the screws holding the center console rear piece on, lift it up, and see if there is a black box with a little antenna on it... that's the alarm system...
wazz

Post by wazz »

Audacity Racing wrote:Easy way to check if you have it...

Take off the screws holding the center console rear piece on, lift it up, and see if there is a black box with a little antenna on it... that's the alarm system...
thanks 8)
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

wazz wrote:
the blinking red light on the raido seems to be blinking interactive with how the motor starts and dies. :lol:
This sentence makes me wonder if you have a short someplace in the ignition system.
Maybe it's digital multi-meter time ? Are you getting at least 12.5 dc volts at the coil ? also ? How is your battery ?

I ask because you say its like an anti theft device is turning the ignition off after it starts. An open circuit in the electrical system would do the same thing.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
wazz

Post by wazz »

Spider wrote:Ignition switch ?
good idea you talked me into it
I will check that
I will pull a diagram and check that the PCM has good powers and grounds also.

8)

maybe confirm that the injector pluse is missing at the PCM while I am there , might be a couple of days before I get to it again, I will return with the results :smt002

retail on a new computer is $714 :shock:
Last edited by wazz on Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
wazz

Post by wazz »

MMamdouh wrote:what about fuel filter... is it clogged? seems like you are not having enough fuel pressure to start the car.

check the fuel filter and see if the pump primes as Auda suggested.

MMamdouh
I have an excelent fuel PSI gauge and it takes just a min to check so IM gonna try that too, mostly cause the fuel injectors "should" release 0 fuel w/o Any pulseing but yet while held at WOT it will run for a little bit, so i ask myself where is it getting fuel from? I guess it could have too high of fuel PSI maybe.

Would suck if the fuel tank got tanted pluging the injectors and pop the computer by way of the ign. switch :lol:

You guys are great!! thanks for the help got me thinking what to look for in the right areas
8)
wazz

Post by wazz »

Okea, I found where the problem is and IM sad to say my initial diagnosis was no good.
Yeah I was "sure" it had no injector pulse cause I had checked the injector pulse with a Logic Probe and also tryed the injector section of the Snap-on Vantage scope and didnt even find a flicker of pulseing; but the fact that it was getting fuel enough to run for a couple of seconds made me check it again but this time with a Noid light and it blinked nice and bright. :oops:

So I moved on acordingly, checked all 4 wires for good spark took a fuel sample cleaned the fuel soaked spark plugs, confirmed the fireing order was right, I manualy trigered the injectors and confirmed it would drop static fuel pressure. Then it hit me what it was, so I pulled the O2 sensor out and whalahh it started and stayed running.

Problem = pluged exhaust :D
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Good to hear your running again.

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

- -- Thomas Edison