Advice needed; ball joint and drive axle broke, shops fault?

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

Advice needed; ball joint and drive axle broke, shops fault?

Post by kinkyllama »

Well not long ago I had a motor mount break (my fault actually) and the engine fell and broke the drive axle. I had trouble finding a new drive axle so we repaired mine...less than 7k miles later and only 1hr on the track (not even driving 100%) it snapped again. The shop that repaired the drive axle swore there was no possible way for it to break without me doing something really wrong, but they agreed to fix it free this time only. They repaired it and the other shop (the one that I trust) installed it. Less than 100 miles later going around a left hand turn slowly at normal rpms with little gas the front left wheel (the side the drive axle was replaced) locked up in my fender ripping it all apart, including my front bumper and tire. After getting out and looking at it the ball joint wasn't connected and the drive axle snapped again. Do you think this is the shops fault? Like they installed it wrong or didn't tighten the ball joint or do you think it’s a just a freak mishap? I need to know before I come down hard on the shop expecting my problems to be fixed.

A new drive axle including labor is nearly $500, plus a new tire (it’s probably pretty chewed up) $120, front bumper, fender, $170 for the tow truck(Triple A wont tow me anymore--long story), and whatever else. Luckily WhiteRaven and I will start working on a R34 kit this coming week and were going to do some work to the fenders so that parts not a huge loss, though I won't tell the shop that. What do you think they shop should do for me if it is there fault? I don’t know if I even want them to work on it....I mean if this had happened on the freeway or anywhere else I would have probably died. I had my sticky track tires on and when that wheel got stuck in the fender and locked up the car came to a quick halt.

Also I took good pictures before anyone touched it....since the wheel was so messed up with the fender to get it on the tow truck caused even more damage to the front bumper and fender but there was no other way. Btw, it didnt seam clear enough...the shop I trusted installed the parts and another shop just repaired the drive axle.

Thanks for the input,
Danny
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

I think it's a good oppertunity to upgrade to some race axles. Contact "Taylor Race Engineering" for drive axles. They specialize in motorsports axles of all osrts and can deliver exactly what you're looking for...

BTW, a non-connected ball-joint is clearly the fault of the company who installed your stuff...
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'd go back to the shop that installed it (since it's most likely a bad install on the ball joint) and see what they are willing to do for you.

I wouldn't come down hard on them right away.... if someone does that to me... I tell them where to shove it.

If your nice about it and say that a mechanic you know thinks it was most likely caused by incorrect installation they might just offer to fix everything.

If they don't.... that's when you step in with the sledge hammer and ask for information such as the mechanics "ticket" or certifications.

If the guy who fixed it wasn't a mechanic.... you have them by the balls as a certified mechanic should be required at a shop like this.

Anyways........ start off easy and add pressure if they refuse to help.

Hey Kenny..... how much do you think Taylor Race Engineering would charge for a set of drive axles???

I realize horsepower will probably be a factor in price..... I'm thinking 300whp for the small projects and then 1000whp for capacity on the big 2.2L project ( all sets are for the Lanos/lemans chassis )
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

Price... depends on what you're looking for specifically. You could probably walk out with a set engineered for under 500 with each additional set being like 200 a piece, but I can't really post on prices for them (because I don't know their current fees or market value for your materials of choice).

For my original 1.6L, the 4130 set was just under 800 dollars, good to 1000hp and 1000ft*lb :lol:

You ought to look at swapping to tripods for that too...
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Well it's in my Dads hands, I have class all day and we don't wanna wait till tomorrow. I'll talk to him and let him know what you guys told me.

Thanks...I'll let you all know how it goes.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
mcewanslager2k2

Post by mcewanslager2k2 »

Hey kinkyllama
GsiTurbo told me to ask you where to get a quick gear shifter for a lanos?

Cheers

Andy
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

mcewanslager2k2 wrote:Hey kinkyllama
GsiTurbo told me to ask you where to get a quick gear shifter for a lanos?

Cheers

Andy
PM sent
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Audacity Racing wrote:Price... depends on what you're looking for specifically. You could probably walk out with a set engineered for under 500 with each additional set being like 200 a piece, but I can't really post on prices for them (because I don't know their current fees or market value for your materials of choice).

For my original 1.6L, the 4130 set was just under 800 dollars, good to 1000hp and 1000ft*lb :lol:

You ought to look at swapping to tripods for that too...
wow that doesnt seam expensive at all. Dealer qouted me around $350 for a left side drive axle alone.

Well the shops going to fix everything and I'm going to look into getting some new drive axles made for the near future.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Well they fixed everything for free, was extreamly helpful and even paid for towing fees, including the drivers tip.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

sucks that it happened, but you cant complain with that service. glad its fixed

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

damnn I would have been really pissed if that happened to me! Can we see any of the pics of when it broke? I'm trying to picture what you are describing but pics would really help. At least you lucked out with the shop fixing everything.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

exist3nce wrote:damnn I would have been really pissed if that happened to me! Can we see any of the pics of when it broke? I'm trying to picture what you are describing but pics would really help. At least you lucked out with the shop fixing everything.
Its all on my moms camra so maybe...I dont know where hers it, or how to work it though right now
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Glad to hear they replaced everything...... look at it from their perspective.... paying out for repairs is cheaper than hiring a lawyer to defend them in a small claims court.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

chris@PrecisionBoost wrote:Glad to hear they replaced everything...... look at it from their perspective.... paying out for repairs is cheaper than hiring a lawyer to defend them in a small claims court.
Oh I know, You just never know what people might do when bad things start happening and in my current situation (trying to get all these things done to my car) this could have been a HUGE set back.

Thanks for the advice!
Danny
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport