Lanos 2.0L engine mount

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Audacity Racing wrote:Nice. I hate plasma cutters and flames personally. If I have to make a part from plate it's milled, routed, or done with a waterjet.

I've never used that specific model, but cutting things like floor pans out is really easy with those, only thing you have to be carful of is that it is far more dangerous ins terms of flying debris and kickback than a plasma or sawzall. Never cut through thick plate though, haha... I figured you would have lost more teeth than that.
The guy at "house of tools" said that a few days before I came in there a guy bought one and cut through a 2" X 2" solid square chunk of mild steel..... the customer was very surprized... it went through like butter.

The cutter has it's own chip depsosit tray built into inside of the protective blade guard (which is metal).... so most of the mess gets contained inside.

The wierd thing is that the material doesn't get that hot.... the very first piece I cut was actually still cold..... near the end after cutting about 25" of 1/2" material in total.... the blade was a little duller than when I started.... so the material warmed up a bit..... still... I could handle it without gloves.... way colder than a normal cutoff saw.

I only chipped the teeth on the very first cut..... after that.... no more chips.

I really didn't believe that this was going to work..... especially because it was a "dry" cut...... but I'm glad to be proven wrong.... it's a great tool

I'd really like a CNC laser etching / cutting machine..... but.... I have more important things to spend money on.... ( I just bought my wife a brand new Mazda CX7 with the Mazdaspeed 2.3L Direct injection turbo.... which is a hell of an engine..... rumor is that a 450whp turbo upgrade kit will be coming out soon from a major tuning company )

If I spend a bunch of money on my wife's vehicle she won't complain that I have eight cars :roll:
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

The DIY thing is about $3000 dollars, not bad really. You could cut the cost even more if you used "FreeMill" to generate your G-code.

I'm sorta suprised that a "toothed" saw would deliver such results though, thanks for the little product review. Most of the blades I've used for cutting steel are veined blades with no teeth but rather passages and carbine chunks (like a slotted rotor, only chunky).

You gonna be mass producing these? I'm a little suprised at your choice of stainless, though I guess it's the easiest option for fabrication seeing as how no additional coating needs to be applied (plus based on my previous experience with Spencer Mfg, you probably have plenty of stainless sitting around). What's the projected cost of making them (even if you only make say 5)? My guess on material alone is in the area of $150US. A 1'x1' piece of half inch 316 stainless is nearly 300 bucks... haha. Maybe mild is in the future with a powdercoat or plating...
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Most of what I buy is stainless 316 and 304... and I'm very very familiar with fabricating with stainless... the 6" X 1/2" plate cost me a mere $106 for 40" of length.... but I got a hell of deal on that.

I figure I can make four or five mounts out of the material I have.... so that's $25 to $30 CDN a piece for materials cost.

If I include some time @$20 per hour (normally I make about $90 an hour ) I could probably bang out five mounts for $50 each plus markup.

No.... don't plan on mass producing them.... I'd leave that to guys like you.... I have no time.

I want to make a couple mounts for myself.... I'm giving one to Julia free of charge ( since she will be the first C20GET Lanos swap and I want to help )

I also want to use some material to help Tom make a special mount for the T20SED into Lemans swap.... my hope is that we can make the mount such that it works with the factory power steering bracket (which bolts into the holes where the front mount normally goes )

I'm sure that mild steel mounts would be cheap.... but I love stainless .... especially for welding.... it allways turns out perfect... I hate mild steel... allways get tiny little pinholes unless I really make sure there are no impurities on the surfaces.

If I was mass producing the mounts through Spencer Mfg...... hmmm.... I would probably make 500 mounts from mild steel.... probably get them produced for about $35 each with powder coating.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

In case I didn't make that clear...... I have no spare mounts for sale.... so please don't ask.

If you want a 2.0L to Lanos mount..... I can certainly help get some engineering drawings together so that someone can make one.... but I just don't have the time right now to be fabricating for anyone other than myself and my close friends.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Audacity Racing
moron

Ooooh! Ooooh!!! Pick me for the fab!! Pick me! :lol: :lol:
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Are you getting back into fabrication????

I knew you got back into the Daewoo stuff and you were taking on drafting and modeling jobs (no... not the type of modeling where your in a skin tight speedo) ..... but I thought you were getting out of fabrication alltogether.

At one point there you said you were going to sell the building and all the equipment/steel.

If you are getting back into it.... I'd be happy to send you my spare 2.0L factory mount..... then you can make them for everyone who wants to stuff a 2.0L into their lanos.

If you are getting back into fabrication..... do you think you could make some roll cages for the Lanos?? ( half and full )

Tom want's a half cage and I want a couple full cages...... one for the Lanos and one for the Lemans.

I know you don't have a lemans.... perhaps I will buy one down your way so that you can use it as a basis for the roll cage....then I will bring back a few parts for my cars (and you can turn the rest into scrap metal or a dune buggy )
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Audacity Racing
moron

Check your PM's in a few... it's hard to keep up with a technical thermo thread and the otehrs floating around... haha
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

This is what I had in mind for support..... the main long rib should stop flex between the two main plates which are at 90 degrees to each other.

The side ribs should help stop any twisting (main force in play) between the plates.

Kenny...... what's your opinion on this kind of design?? See any flaws in my design?

Please don't laugh at my drawing.... I did it very quickly in Paint Shop Pro just to illustrate the general design.... it's not dimensionally accurate... the mount is at work.... so I'm just guessing angles and dimensions at this point

2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Audacity Racing
moron

Looks fine
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

is it due to the "out of scale" diagrame or the reinforcment parts cover the 2 mounting holes in the upright part of the mount?

other than that it looks pretty solid, i know i am not an engineer or so but i know solid built parts when i see them.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
mcewanslager2k2

Post by mcewanslager2k2 »

hello

Whos thinking off or making the roll cages..?
I'll love to have a half cage in my lanos.

Andy
Audacity Racing
moron

mcewanslager2k2 wrote:hello

Whos thinking off or making the roll cages..?
I'll love to have a half cage in my lanos.

Andy
I can/do in the USA. For UK applications, you can actually buy pre-made ones. Check eBay for one, it was up a couple weeks ago and would probably still be up.
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

chris@PrecisionBoost wrote:Most of what I buy is stainless 316 and 304... and I'm very very familiar with fabricating with stainless... the 6" X 1/2" plate cost me a mere $106 for 40" of length.... but I got a hell of deal on that.

I figure I can make four or five mounts out of the material I have.... so that's $25 to $30 CDN a piece for materials cost.

If I include some time @$20 per hour (normally I make about $90 an hour ) I could probably bang out five mounts for $50 each plus markup.

No.... don't plan on mass producing them.... I'd leave that to guys like you.... I have no time.

I want to make a couple mounts for myself.... I'm giving one to Julia free of charge ( since she will be the first C20GET Lanos swap and I want to help )

I also want to use some material to help Tom make a special mount for the T20SED into Lemans swap.... my hope is that we can make the mount such that it works with the factory power steering bracket (which bolts into the holes where the front mount normally goes )

I'm sure that mild steel mounts would be cheap.... but I love stainless .... especially for welding.... it allways turns out perfect... I hate mild steel... allways get tiny little pinholes unless I really make sure there are no impurities on the surfaces.

If I was mass producing the mounts through Spencer Mfg...... hmmm.... I would probably make 500 mounts from mild steel.... probably get them produced for about $35 each with powder coating.
If you did produce them I would be interested in one.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

heres a quick pic of a prototype of one used for a C20XE corsa

'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
julia

Post by julia »

These are looking sweet, they 'll work awesome. I cant wait to get one. Lemmie knkow how you make out!

julia