Timing belt replacement parts

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

jasoto

Timing belt replacement parts

Post by jasoto »

Greetings,

I have two Aveos (05 and 06) with the 1.6 DOHC ETEC-II. I don't know too much about mechanics but I perform all basic maintenance to the cars myself.

One of the cars (the 05) developed a grinding noise when cold...sounded like a 100K mile car!

I immediatly think about the timing belt since Woos belts are the car's weak points. The car have only 30K (excellent maintenance); thus I take it to dealer for warranty repair.

The car has been sitting for two weeks waiting for parts... :( the dealer says its a TB roller problem and need replacing the roller and tensioner.I ask them to replace the belt since they didn't say anything regarding it.

I think that GM fixed the TB problem but it seems is still there.

My question is: did the roller, tensioner and timing belts from the Lanos 1.6 DOHC ETEC fit the Aveo 1.6? The engines looked the same with some minor changes like the manifold.

Knowing the timing belt issues, since I have two Aveos I plan to have a spare kit just to avoid any parts delay once both cars warranty run out (specially for the 06 since I put about 4K miles/month on it!)

Thanks in advance!!
MarkZ28

Post by MarkZ28 »

Is it an intermittent rattle like sound that its making?
jasoto

Post by jasoto »

Yes it can be described as a rattle by some; however this cannot be confused with a common Aveo engine behavior that is lifter noise. How much mileage did your car have?

In mine, the mileage was about 31K and after much struggle with dealer, they replaced the tensioner and roller. I am not sure if they did change also the time belt (they are so cheap!) but the noise decreased a lot. The noise can be detected more at morning startup time. Dealer was supposed to change the belt as well. Since I am not sure they did it, I will do it again anyway at about 50K...I dont want to take too much risk since the TB problem is well known (same engine as the Lanos 1.6L)
MrFrost

Post by MrFrost »

Dayco makes a TB for the Aveo (#95310), which is of much better quality I've heard.
The question is.......will local Chevy dealers be willing to install it when the time comes?

My Aveo has 50,000 on it and I'm planning to have the TB changed out at 52,000.
Any thoughts....guesses?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i have used Gates and DAYCO timing belts before... never noticed any difference between both belts but every body says Gates is the best and also the OEM belt was in fact Gates so i am sticking with it.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
MrFrost

Post by MrFrost »

MMamdouh wrote:i have used Gates and DAYCO timing belts before... never noticed any difference between both belts but every body says Gates is the best and also the OEM belt was in fact Gates so i am sticking with it.

MMamdouh
If this is true then why does the Daewoo/Aveo have such a reputation for timing belt problems?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i don't see a "problem"... timing belt should be replaced at a certain point of time and some people miss that, and because our engines are interference engines they damage the valves when the timing belt snaps.

its an owner's fault rather than an inherent problem in the car.

MMamdouh
MrFrost

Post by MrFrost »

MMamdouh wrote:i don't see a "problem"... timing belt should be replaced at a certain point of time and some people miss that, and because our engines are interference engines they damage the valves when the timing belt snaps.

MMamdouh
The reports I'm referring to concern belt failure before the recommended change at 60,000 miles (as stated in the US manual). Usually quoted from 45,000 to 55,000 miles.
Perhaps the problem has been with lead-footed drivers who have excessively strained the belt? I don't know..... I've read enough about early failures to cause me grave concern.

I take it you haven't heard anything like that.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i have heard about so many people break their timing belts... i didn't know that your US manual spacified 60k miles for timingbelt change and frankly i think the one who wrote that is crazy as 60k miles is too much for a rubber belt.

in the manual i have it says to change the timing belt every 40k kms... thats 25k miles, so you can see that the US manual data is way over rated for some reason and that expalins why you people refer to this as a problem 'cause your timing belts snap earlier to the recommended interval.

again i see this as a manual problem not an engine problem as no one here ever break his timing belt before the spacified interval and the 25k miles interval we have sounds about right... the 60k miles is indeed very much over rated.

MMamdouh
TxDAEWOOxT
Expert

Post by TxDAEWOOxT »

MMamdouh wrote:i don't see a "problem"... timing belt should be replaced at a certain point of time and some people miss that, and because our engines are interference engines they damage the valves when the timing belt snaps.

MMamdouh
+1
2001 Lanos 1.6
--1.25 Eibach Pro kit
--2 1/4 Pro 1 catback
--custom intake (short ram)
--port and polished head
--port and polished TB
--port and polished intake manifold
--Kenwood head
--Pioneer noise
http://www.myspace.com/txhtownxt
MrFrost

Post by MrFrost »

MMamdouh wrote:again i see this as a manual problem not an engine problem as no one here ever break his timing belt before the spacified interval and the 25k miles interval we have sounds about right... the 60k miles is indeed very much over rated.

MMamdouh
Wow. Wish I had had this conversation with you a year ago! Now I'm really nervous. Was planning to get the belt changed in early February........hopefully it will make it.
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

I thought that my manual said every 40,000 miles? gah, its all confusing XD i have 1.6 DOHC Lanos
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

well... the 25k miles we have is a bit on the safe side if you ask me... both my old timing belts came out in very good condition so i recon it could do more miles but how much more is beyond me... obviously it is not as far as 60k miles.

MMamdouh
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

33k is a recomended middle change rate to me!
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
jasoto

Post by jasoto »

Hi I am the original forum poster...

Remember that any car will have trouble spots...unfortunately ours is the timing belt.

Thankfully, even if the Aveo/Lanos engine could be described as yesterday's technology is a rugged powerplant in use all around the world, and the Aveo is a very nice car for the price.

Just dont wait for the 60K mark...I'll do mine at about 45-50K miles with roller, tensioner and possibly the water pump. This adds up to a fair amount of money while mileage climbs up but have no choice for a few years. Anyway its cheaper than a new engine.