Anyway to get an aftermarket steering wheel on my forenza?

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

Anyway to get an aftermarket steering wheel on my forenza?

Post by kinkyllama »

Is there any possible way?

I'd like one for comfort, looks, and to lose 10lbs from the car (small advantage). I dont have a horn or the stereo controls hooked up. Plus I'd like to get rid of my airbags soon as they can be pretty dangerous with a helment and I'm putting a roll bar and taking out my stock 3points so people ahve to use the race harnesses.

Danny
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

from what ive heard raceing harnesses arent street legal. if your state requires seatbelts, you can get a ticket for wearing only a raceing harness. the OEM belts have DOT aprovel, but even though raceing harnesses are safer they dont have the aprovel, so you could get a ticket for them, its stupid i know but its the law (at least it is here in michigan)

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

Sparco makes an adapter for the standard 6 bolt pattern (Momo, Sparco, etc), but the lead time is like 3 months for manufacture alone.

I wonder if Chris or Tom have one sitting around from Isotta that would fit. I'm not sure if the original "Daewoo" hub is the same as the generation 2 woos.

You could have one made... it's usually pretty cheap for such things from places like "Emachineshop"
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

daewoomofo wrote:from what ive heard raceing harnesses arent street legal. if your state requires seatbelts, you can get a ticket for wearing only a raceing harness. the OEM belts have DOT aprovel, but even though raceing harnesses are safer they dont have the aprovel, so you could get a ticket for them, its stupid i know but its the law (at least it is here in michigan)
I'm pretty sure there are harnesses out there that are DOT approved. I was pulled over once wearing mine harnesses that arnt DOT approved and the cop didn't say anything. Here in Arizona cops don't know much about illegal and legal mods on cars...at least it doesnt seam like they do. I never get pulled over in the cities for my windows.

Audacityracing wrote:Sparco makes an adapter for the standard 6 bolt pattern (Momo, Sparco, etc), but the lead time is like 3 months for manufacture alone.

I wonder if Chris or Tom have one sitting around from Isotta that would fit. I'm not sure if the original "Daewoo" hub is the same as the generation 2 woos.

You could have one made... it's usually pretty cheap for such things from places like "Emachineshop"
I doubt Tom does...but I'll ask Chris if he does.

To have one made could I just tell them my car and whatnot or would I have to sent in my steering wheel and stuff to have one made up? I'd also like to be able to take out my steering wheel with the flip of a lever or whatever they use normally.

Also on a side note how much do you think the stock steering wheel with airbag and passenger air bag weight? I'm hoping to get the weight back that the roll bar will add.

Danny
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

I cant talk about Forenza, but a friend used Astra mk2 wheel hub and used it on Aveo. It fit with minor modifications of the unit (dont know the specifics). Also, some trimming of plastic was required with a dremel tool.

Emachine shop is a program that you download onto your computer, you draw (actually you model) the part, and then the program spits out the estimate for them to make it. You could easily get the steering-wheel (aftermarket) pattern to draw, the Daewoo one you'd just need to pull your steering wheel and look at the hub (and measure it). It would take you an hour to learn the program, an hour to get the measurements, and 15 minutes to re-install your wheel... and you've have the estimate in moments, haha.

Might just be worth the effort...
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

You're totally right about the police here in arizona... but at the same time, i don't think it's illegal to change out your seatbelts here, as long as you have them...
a woo that is a work in progress
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i ws just saying that because my future uncle in law deos street raceing (his 1980 malibu runs 9.60s) and he has gotten tickets for non-aproved seat belts (5 pt harness) if it dont have a DOT patch on it you could (not saying you will) get a seatbelt ticket

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Audacityracing wrote:Sparco makes an adapter for the standard 6 bolt pattern (Momo, Sparco, etc), but the lead time is like 3 months for manufacture alone.

So Sparco actually has a adapter for my car? or the design but don't have any in stock? I dont mind waiting a few months since I have so many other things I need to get done first.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
Audacity Racing
moron

Sparco should have one. The problem becomes finding a Sparco dealer that will place an order.
camaroguy

Post by camaroguy »

Audacity Racing
moron

Doesn't fit the gen 2 daewoos
Check your speed pm's
camaroguy

Post by camaroguy »

got it. check yours :lol:
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Audacityracing wrote:Sparco should have one. The problem becomes finding a Sparco dealer that will place an order.
Is it listed as "Opel vehicals"? Other than that the only one I see listed is for the lanos but you said that doesn't fit.

Also, do you know what mm the stock wheel is? and why do allot of people in motorsports like going smaller? I wouldn't mind going slightly smaller then having a closer ratio steering rack but I dont know if thats even possible with my car. Also with the hub kit can you still adjust the steering wheel heith?

Thanks for the help,
Danny
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
Audacity Racing
moron

The only way to ajust the location after you put the hub on is to use spacers or if it telescoped to begin with.

I have CamaroGuy on the hunt for something for me in the GM ranks to find someone at the motorsport division looking into the WTCC+R concept to see what they used, or if nothing else what the WTCC car actually used.

And I meant measure the stock hub to get one made for you