Where to get performance parts for Woos?

Here you will find general facts about Daewoo Vehicles

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

zerosilence
Super

Where to get performance parts for Woos?

Post by zerosilence »

where can i find some performance parts for my daewoo i live in the u.s. i have exhaust a cat and intake, and i found pullies and s/c but where can i find cams, cam gears pistions and that stuff. and how hard is it to convert to a standard transmission from an auto? because ive been working on my daewoo for a while and i want to get out as much horse power as i can. thank you
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

You need to search around.... there are lots of links.

First off..... what engine do you have?

Cams are best found in the UK..... kentcams, pipercams ..... there are companies that will import them for you if you can't be bothered.

Cam gears.... Kent, SBD (both UK)

Pistons..... lot's of companies sell them.... what are you looking for?? Forged, high compression, low compression, oversized, hypereutectic..... lots of options.... you need to give more info.

Converting to a standard would be a pain.... I belive there are one or two guys on here who have done it.... again.... use the search tool and be patient.

Unfortunatly the forum is a bit "cluttered" but I hope to see it fixed up in the near future to separate "can you help me... my engine died" from "peformance high lift cams" in the Engine/Intake/Exhaust section.

I belive they may have allready set up a "where to get parts for my Daewoo" in the FAQ section of the forum.

Good luck... if you can't find something in particular.... you can allways PM me.... I have hundreds of links.... one day I will get around to putting them all on here.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

PISTONS You probably won't find any production pistons on this side of the pond. There are plenty of companies that custom make them for you (one of my sets came from Eagle, another from Mahle). This includes connecting rods too, and cranks if you have the cash.

CAMS Cams are easier to come by in the states than people realize... it's just a matter of knowing what you want. Lots of places custom grind cams, and there is a guy on ebay every now and again who has a set of Lanos blanks. The problem is knowing what specs to get. The guy can reccommend you things, but unless you can verify his figures are correct, I would try to specify it yourself. I tried looking and there aren't any out right now, but any decent cam shop should be able to do them for you.

ECU There are bazillions of choices for ECU's out there (standalone). There are a few piggy-backs, and a few quasi-piggy-backs. The Apex'i Super AFC-II is a fuel map controller that manipulates the fuel system to gain extra power, it's a crutch at best. The SMT lines of piggy backs are great choices for the woos. Kinkyllama has this very thing. A much more expensive and involved option would be a true standalone ECU. There are many many brands. Most "tuners" use the AEM system. For CHEAP you can get the MegaSquirt (what I run on my Fiat). If you want to invest HUGE bucks for HUGE returns, there's always the MoTeC line-up. The point behind these ECU choices is that you can tune easily and gain maximum parameters for the engine (dyno tuning info available on request)

PHYICAL MODS Here's where you can make nice gains for minimal effort and minimal price. You can do things like PORTING, POLISHING, DEBURRING, BLUEPRINTING, WEIGHT REDUCTION, etc etc etc. For some NICE gains, look at getting your intake manifold "extrude-honed". The process works wonders on the Daewoo VGIS system.

GENERAL MODS There are other little things you can do to improve performance. The general electrical system boost is always a plus (check electrical section). There is always the option to remove weight... the Lotus Exige is about 1/3 the weight of a Z06 Corvette and about 1/4 the power yet it will stay pretty constant with it in the 1/4 mile. Also remember that TIRES are the most powerful performance upgrade youc an do to your car. In stock form the Lanos will burn the tires meaning there is lost energy there, get good tires and you'll have immediately better performance.

Advanced Modifications
There are a large number of advanced mods you can do if you have the resources. One example is to convert all the bearings in your car to ceramic. Cerobear is a comapny that makes ceramic bearings to order. Back in the day, I had Cerobears thoughout my entire driveline. My rough estimate put drivetrain losses down about 5% over-all... which means about 5 more hp that makes it to the wheels.

Another high-end modification is to look into titanium and tool steel components. I had the majority of my race woo's valvetrain made from titanium from a company called "Tricor Industrial". There are tons of places that will do custom forgings for stuff, and making CNC parts can be done at most any machine shop anymore (hell, you can buy CNC stuff through Harbor Freight now).

I could go on for hours about specific parts, but I guess the bigger question becomes what is your timeline and how much money do you have to spend? Furthermore, what power level are you looking at? There comes a time when you have to consider the cost/performance ratio that puts Daewoo at a severe disadvantage compared to Honda or Nissan. I did my mods as a business ploy and a personal statement of defiance to the large tune shop in my area, but you may just want to have a fast car. Let's hear your criteria. :)

**EDIT**

I know I left a lot of stuff off up there... things like DIS, plugs and wires, dry sump, etc etc... there is just way too much to put ina single post... tell us your intentions and it'll be easier to map some things out for you.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
zerosilence
Super

Post by zerosilence »

well i have a 1.6, i wouldnt mind having a 1.8 but i wonder if those made it state side. that was a great write up by the way. atr the moment i really dont have much money but i am working on my 6 year degree to become a pharmacist, right now i make 7.75 but in three months ill be making like 13.50 an hr. i have a pretty good time limit. as far as 1/4 mile speed i would like to run in the 13's. also my car does the 1/4 in 19 seconds is that what that engine is saposed to do? i really apreciate your help.
Audacity Racing
moron

I think with some good tires you'd be quicker than that. Mine ran 17's at Bristol (notoriously slow track) with decent tires and nothing but a SRI.

If I were you I would look into a nice set of drag cams from Kent and re-vamp the valvetrain if drag racing was what I wanted to do with it. There are huge gains to be had with cams alone. This also gives you time to save and then get one huge increase...

Cams = $500
Pulleys = $200-500
Gasket Kit = $100
Valves = ??? (depends if you go with OEM or some kind of replacement)
Head Work = $200-500

I think if you saved 3000 and dumped in a new valve train... you'd be able to get NA 13's from a 1.6L woo (add tires to that list for sure).
zerosilence
Super

Post by zerosilence »

even in an automatic id be able to run 13's with just cams pullies valves and head work thats pretty crazy. also what would be a good tire to go with? also if i did that is it recomended to put in a manual trans. and when i come up with the money where would i go to but the parts? and by spending 3k on the car it would shave like 6 seconds off my 1/4 mile time. and i plan on putting on a supercharger, throttle body, n20, and i found some pullies so that would be pretty good gains.
Audacity Racing
moron

Well, the transmission you have is a better option for you than a standard. The transmission in the lanos is the same as a lot of small GM cars (cavilier, Beretta, etc), so there are TONS of upgrade parts that will work (including shift improvers, high-stall torque converters, etc). There are also racthet shifters available for it. The fastest Cavy's in pro-series drag racing used the 4T40E, so we know it has some guts if upgraded right.

Any DOT drag radial would be fine. I'm not partial to any one brand for drag purposes (road racing is another thing).

I'd also look into a flywheel (a little hard to come by, but can be made custom for the right money) if you sawp to a 5-spd. There are readily available clutches from eclutchmaster for the Lanos that will take the abuse just fine (stage one, and the custom stage 2)

Cams... look at "Kent Cams"
Pulleys... "Kent Cams"
Clutch... "Eclutchmaster" http://www.eclutchmaster.com (if you choose to do the swap)
Any transmission upgrades for the 4T40E (can be found lots of places)
Head-work can be done by any machine shop

The big difference in the time (and thusly engine power) is that the 1.6 liter is terribly limited by breathing. I'm sure you noticed a fairly large pick-up when you did the intake and exhaust.

I do reccommend if you end up with a turbo or super-charger to remove your intake manifold and make one (or use a Honda D-series one made for turbos (not OEM)). The VGIS system is useless in forced induction applications (technically it's hurtful due to the large runner volume) and nothing more than a large heavy item that takes up space and holds heat in the engine bay. It would also be advantageous to mount the SC straight to the intake manifold (unless using a centrifugal) so that you don't have a funky adapter. Intake manifolds are relatively cheap for the Honda motors with the similar manifolding, and they can easily be outfitted with S/C's so it might be worth it to look into.

In my honest opinion, I think with a good head-job, drag radials, and 5 pounds of supercharged boost, you could pull 11-12's off.

Keep in mind it gets exponentially harder to get faster (the nature of speed versus effort).

Also be sure and strip weight where you can. The trunk is loaded with plastic and carpet that's useless. Back on the race woo, I used a hole-saw to cut holes in the rear seat panel to pull off a couple pounds when I still had the seats.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

who makes ratcheting shifters? i called B&M a long time ago and they said there was nothing out there for the 4T40E by anyone.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
zerosilence
Super

Post by zerosilence »

right on well the only intake i have right now is really getto i just fliped the top of the air box up but i do notice a really good improvement though. hpoefully ill have some money left over from this weeks check and hpoefully ill get some christmas money then ill buy a weapon r intake. the only way i would install a manual trans. is if it will make the 1/4 mile better plus i heard its better to have one if your going to run forced induction. well i smoked an sti in bracket racing, soon ill be able to smoke him on the streets. i think its time to show all those tuners what a woo is all about. lol also where can i find stuff for the automatic? i really aprecieate you all for pointing me in the right direction.
Audacity Racing
moron

daewoomofo wrote:who makes ratcheting shifters? i called B&M a long time ago and they said there was nothing out there for the 4T40E by anyone.
You are indeed right. I mis-spoke on that. You would have to upgrade to the 4T60 to get a rachet (which is an entirely do-able thing).
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

is there any shifter that we can modify to work with the 4T40E, i was wondering about a shifter from a 700R-4 (rwd 4 speed auto) tranny

Audacity Racing
moron

The 4T60 is the closest relative. It is very very similar in terms of design and function, the only "real" difference being the torque levek it can handle.

daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

so a 4T60E shifter would work, maybe with minor modifications. thank you kenny, i dont know where you get all of these diagrams but they do really help, glad to have you back