soundproofing

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

DomWoo
Expert

soundproofing

Post by DomWoo »

i know that dynamat is probably the only real way to go with this suggestion but i was wondering a few things

anyother way to go about this for alot less money?

what the hell is dynamat mad of?

how does dynamat extreme differ from normal dynamat?

how well does this stuff really work?

and is 100 squar feet for 100$ a good price?
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Hold your horses, there bucko! (bet you didn't think you'd be called bucko, huh? LOL)

Dynamat is able to get a large market share by way of a lot of advertising, and by giving car audio installation shops kick back proffit for reccomending and selling their products. That way, the shops will swear up & down how much better it is than any others. Yes, it is very good, but it is by no means the best, nor is it the only good product available. For what it is, it is quite expensive.

Sound deadening material is a modified tar composit in a fiber compound which will absorb sound and mechanical vibrations, thus making it quiet inside your car. Yes, even Dynamat is basically tar & cardboard, when broken down to the 2 main components. The tar has been embedded in a rubberized process which helps it not stink of tar.

There are several great products, such as FatMatt, Brown Bread, and more that I can not think of.

What I would highly reccomend, to save money and have a VERY good product: Second Skin.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/

The owner, Anthony, is a great guy to work with and his primary concern is to make his customers happy. He has put a LOT of research & development into his products to make sure they are perfact before making them availabble to the public.

For a really good price break, if you join the Car Audio Forum ( www.caraudioforum.com ), Ant will give members of that forum 40% off retail and free shipping!!!

You can't find any other products where the owner of the company will personally walk you through installation questions over the phone to make sure you are happy with your purchase.

Remember to join the other forum, which is a GREAT sourse of information and help tracking down the best prices for stereo products you are interested in, plus you'll get the discount on the sound deadener.

Cliff
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

how much of this stuff did you use in your lanos?
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

How much? I'm not quite sure, I just kept getting more & adding to it.
I am still in the process of doing severe overkill deadening on my Lanos.
I started with using expanding foam in every hole, gap, hollow and crevice in in the bodywoek of the car.
In the side rear quarter panels, I put 3 layers of deadener, then filled the rest of the void with pillow stuffing. The roof and doors have 3 layers of deadener, and the lights & trim have all been removed to have foam weather strip put behind them to stop any buzzing.

Am I done yet? No.
I plan to add another 200 sq ft of STFU80 (3 layers the thick stuff) over the entire inside of the car.

When I am done, it will be as quiet as a recording studio inside, and no one will hear my bass outside the car unless I have the windows down.

Cliff
Wolf-Spirit
Expert

Post by Wolf-Spirit »

wow?.... that is alot lol... personaly i dont mind road noise (how else can i hear when my tires start to slide :p ) but 1 thing though doesnt doing that add like alot of weight to your car?
azazel19
Junior

dynamat

Post by azazel19 »

i know they say dynamat is the best but who really knows i like it myself it's expensive in stores but get it off ebay if you want it's way cheaper i had a friend that got 30 10 sq ft sheets for 98 dollars. dunno how that happened but check around and see any will do just get the best price.
"mess with the best die like the rest"
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

"They say" is just it ... it is primarily people who believe the sales representatives on their word without doing any research for themselves.

Yes, Dynamat is a good product, and you hear a drastic reduction in noise and vibration, but without ever trying anything else or researching any other products, those same people will tell everyone they knwo that Dynamat is the best. Because people hear from other people that it is the best, and they then ask the installation shop about it, they also say it is the best, people then believe it is the best.

For the price, it is way too high.
Similar better products can be had for less cost and some are more easily installed.

Bah ... what do I know, I've only tried about 10 different brands and products. I'm just some guy on the internet who has some experience with these products. Don't listen to me, listen to the sales guys who get kick back proffit from Dynamat for selling their products, then outright deny they get anything as insentive for selling it and from people who listened to them and got it installed.

Yes, all that deadening does add a lot of weight, but I am not interested in making my Lanos automatic go fast. It is a commuter car with a big stereo. When I want to go fast, I drive my Porsche.

:)

Cliff
Blue Lanos

Post by Blue Lanos »

CzechoSlovak LANOS Club http://www.lanosclub.com
CzechoSlovak Daewoo Forum http://www.daewooclub.com
My lanos - Cardomain.com
http://www.cardomain.com/id/27101976