engine problems

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

john_trickle
Expert

engine problems

Post by john_trickle »

Hey guys i have this little tiny problem its been happening couple times a week when i drive my lanos sometimes it stop goes stops and goes like it has no fuel but my fuel is full it kicks and gerks then goes normal again what do you think it is.

john
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

well if it is happening more frequently each week, it may be the fuel filter or trash in the line. Its like when i am at a light, and its just there idling, its will stagger the rpms down like its going to die, then it picks up the idle again, and it may do it Is that what you are talking about. i have no clue why that happens.
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
beccajade

Post by beccajade »

Hi Everyone!

I have the same problem with my 2001 Lanos sport (1.6L). It is due for it's 150,000KM service in a week or two, but the problem has been going for a while now. It's not when idling, it is when driving. There are massive flat spots in the rev range, and now it is actually spluttering when you open the throttle a bit.

My poor car is really sick, and I want to fix her. For the Australians, I had the standard Midas service + air filter at the last service. I don't know when leads, coil packs and injectors were last serviced though... I think that it started after the last service, so maybe just dodgy fuel filter?

Well, any ideas would be helpful! And if you need any more info, just ask.

Thanks in advance!

Beccajade
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

beccajade wrote:so maybe just dodgy fuel filter?
+1. I'd be checking/changing that as first point of elimination.

--Tim
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

check spark plugs and spark plug wires as well.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
tango

Post by tango »

When you have any engine problem there are usually 3 main things to check. FUEL, AIR, TIMED SPARK. These are all things that a car NEEDS to at least run. How well it runs depends on the quality of the combination of these three. Majority of the time air is not a big issue, fuel and spark are the main culprits I've found. I just posted a thread addressing the problems I just had with my former Cielo. A blocked fuel filter can cause the symptoms you are seeing. At idle you don't need a lot of fuel, and a clogged filter may allow enough to pass to keep it running. At higher rpms where the fuel regulator (FPR) tries to increase pressure/volume in the fuel rail the clogged filter won't allow it...hence...hesitation. Another possibility is the throttle position sensor. If there is a dead spot on the resistor strip then you may have problems at that throttle position...hence...hesitation...You didn't mention a check engine light (CEL) so this is unlikely (unless you have a blown CEL bulb! LOL). A bad spark plug wire connection could be compounded if the engine vibration at higher rpms causes the wire to make-and-break...hence...hesitation. Good luck...
Cogito ergo sum...