Cielo 3000rpm hesitation...

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

tango

Cielo 3000rpm hesitation...

Post by tango »

Hey Family!

It's been a while since I hung out here. There are a lot of reasons for that, the vast majority not my fault. First on the list is the fact that I am no longer a Daewoo owner. Those who talk to me regularly would note that I was in the process of buying a 2006 Chevrolet Optra, but got pissed off by the dealers wanting me to wait 5 months for delivery. Not gonna happen. Anyway, consequently I got myself a 2002 Toyota Corolla. So far it's been very fuel efficient with the 1.5L 16v VVTi engine (over 50mpg with the a/c running). Before I go any further let me say this. Toyota isn't that much better built than Daewoo. Take my word for it!

I sold my Cielo to a coworker so it's still near me. Recently the new owner called me saying that he was experiencing a 3000rpm hesitation. I flashed the computer (click here) and found several codes, of which was 21 and 44. 21 is the TPS (throttle position sensor) circuit and 44 is O2 sensor (lean exhaust). We replaced the TPS and still we had the hesitation. The problem seemed to get worse by appearing every time he drove it and caused more immediate shutdown of the engine. We reflashed after the TPS replacement and only found code 44. This lead me to start investigating the fuel system. My first action was to remove the fuel filter. On removing the filter the "fuel" that ran out was RED! There was rust all up in there. That made sense because the car was sitting for several months during and after the rebuild. Some of the rust got up as far as the fuel rail and the injectors. The system will be cleaned up and that should solve the problems. I haven't corrected it as yet because the guy hasn't got the new filter yet. I'll update once we get it.

I decided to post this for posterity. Just in case somebody has hesitation problems and picks up a 44 code. I have a picture of the gunk (after it dried).

Cogito ergo sum...
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

welcome back man... always glad to see you here.

thast rust is nasty... i say you got one hell of a cleanup job with the injectors.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
tango

Post by tango »

Good to be back Mamdouh. It's been a while since we hung out too.

Lots of cleanup for sure. I'm still working on the best way to handle it though because right now there is over 3/4 tank of fuel in it so dropping the tank and discarding that is not an option for the owner! LOL. Well we'll see how that goes. I've already told him that the only option I can see is to run a small cheap filter in the line instead of the more expensive stock one and change that every 3 or so days as needed for about 2 weeks (that should encompass a second tank of fuel) and then drop in the stock filter. What do you guys think?
Cogito ergo sum...
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

this is why i was asking how long will the fuel pump take to drain the tank... i am thinking of running the pump and rerout its output to an external tank or so with a cheapo fuel filter to cleanup all the fuel in the tank... this might not be good for the fuel pump but i don't see anyway arround it yet, also i think the pump got a little filter built in it so it won't be all that bad.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267